Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 126 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

Links to the 24 year old Polish attacking midfielder Sebastian Szymanski are interesting, he only joined Fenerbache in the summer but has 12 goals and 14 assists in 35 games. Anyone know anything about him?
Only thing I know about the geezer is exactly what you wrote TQ, so no bloody help from me lol!

I'm wondering with all this FFP, will we actually see a realignment of player prices/wages?
Are the days of bang average players hitting 40 odd mil over.
So are clubs holding back
Because of FFP
Or because the price of players, will drop like a stone.
Something needs to happen to keep TWs alive.
I suspect not, at least not yet, it will take time for the market to readjust - the ones that will lead the drop will be the European clubs (in the main) as they are the one's that have kept themselves afloat with excessive payments from PL clubs - and all of them will now be thinking hard about how they meet the UEFA FFP rules after the summer window if this affects that window too - but my own personal view (not the industry view) is that it will only slightly dampen the summer window, including prices and the demands players/agents can make for signing on / salary demands.

It's also a reckoning time for PL clubs too and will be for us as well as we have spent heavily in recent seasons and now have either the second or biggest inter club transfer debt in the PL - that will have to be addressed come the summer.

I suspect not, at least not yet, it will take time for the market to readjust - the ones that will lead the drop will be the European clubs (in the main) as they are the one's that have kept themselves afloat with excessive payments from PL clubs - and all of them will now be thinking hard about how they meet the UEFA FFP rules after the summer window if this affects that window too - but my own personal view (not the industry view) is that it will only slightly dampen the summer window, including prices and the demands players/agents can make for signing on / salary demands.

It's also a reckoning time for PL clubs too and will be for us as well as we have spent heavily in recent seasons and now have either the second or biggest inter club transfer debt in the PL - that will have to be addressed come the summer.
Could we ever envisage such a time that there will be only one window & if so would that be a win for FFP?

On Ramsey, I should have said;

That is a big ‘if’ because Ramsey, has established himself as a key player for them and suposedly funds must be raised before the end of June to stay compliant with profit and sustainability rules and some believe offers above £50million would be entertained. Whether we'd go that far, is another matter.

Should Villa decide to keep Ramsey, there are other ways in which the money could be found.

Of course we're not exempt from what other clubs are going through. I do wonder whether we've planned a multi-year cycle whereby 2023 was the year of major overhaul whilst 2024 then becomes a year of making our squad better but much leaner. Including the loanees, our squad is still overweight and we can all name 10-15 players that we can move on. Then as we get into 2025 a lot leaner, we're that much further along for our stage payments on players bought previously.

We can then perhaps think about the quality over quantity and spend. That analysis you shared the other day showed that a club like Liverpool eventually ended up buying very few players. It's about 1st team quality and youngsters. I think some of us have been advocating for years about getting to this model. We have never had an optimised model, partially because of the chopping and changing of managers. Financially, we could do with a long Ange tenure.

The PL are already getting pressure from media outlets, especially Sky, because of how dead the TW has been. Deadline day on SSN is set to look like an absolute joke as it stands. There is only so much they can big up an non-event before it becomes embarrassing.

My prediction from Sky on deadline day is they will go heavy on talking about FFP and paint it in a way that aims to turn fans against it to put pressure on the PL.

After weeks of effort; West Ham walked away from a deal for Nordsjaelland’s winger Ibrahim Osman after believing they had a deal all agreed,(on disagreement of cost/payments) but he could still end up in the Premier League before the deadline as we have asked questions ...(as of this morning). And no, other than I knew Spam were after him, I know nothing about him!

On Ramsey, I should have said;

That is a big ‘if’ because Ramsey, has established himself as a key player for them and suposedly funds must be raised before the end of June to stay compliant with profit and sustainability rules and some believe offers above £50million would be entertained. Whether we'd go that far, is another matter.

Should Villa decide to keep Ramsey, there are other ways in which the money could be found.
Not convinced by him myself

Is he a step up from Hojberg/Skipp?

It sounds like our business is done, bar any last moment opportunities.

No teams have approached for Hojbjerg on a permanent and we won't let him leave on loan - so he stays.

Missing out on Nusa won't mean we rush a decision on an alternative option.

Gallagher is sounding less and less likely, unless the Chelsea board physically kick him out.

Any moves for Ramsey, Pacho or Osman are more likely to be summer moves.

So the club are not interested in signing Werner after Son comes back - he aint likely to string a number of good scoring games if he is kept out wide all the time - he aint got a hope in ell of scoring is he?

If they weren't interested in signing him they wouldn't have agreed an option. It is all in Werner's control to make the decision for the club. Nothing is set in stone.

If Senegal and Mali both win their games tonight and tomorrow night respectively I believe they will meet each other on Saturday meaning at least one of Bissouma or Sarr will be back at the beginning of next week, maybe sooner if one of them loses today/tomorrow.
Hopefully Sarr so he can play, Biss still has those stupid bans hanging over his head.

We can cope with Madds, Bents and Sarr!

Last edited: