Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Page 77 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

Well we know Hojbjerg and Dele will comfortably shift to a higher intensity with more pressing. Both prefer it based on the way they play. My current concern would be Tanguy and Gio. I've only seen Gio complete 2 matches without being subbed in the last year. I don't think he'll have a problem aligning with the press. It's just whether his body lets him. As for Tanguy, I'm hoping his current absence is because the fitness team are building his stamina to levels we've not seen in a Spurs shirt.

I do agree that if we could get these 4 working together and also get 2 flying full-backs on their outside, life would be good. They have the ability to control other midfields and win matches.

We can't keep giving Winks and Moura so much playing time.

I am glad you think Hojbjerg and Dele can press and play high intensity football. For me Hojbjerg cannot press he is far to slow and Dele spends to much time show boating and diving around. I have no faith in any off our midfielders. Yes there is talent there but I don't know if the mentality is. Nuno does not have the winning mentality. We shall see what happens but I think we need not one or two player's we need many more

Nothing like good old optimism there Spesh lol!
The funny thing is, I have always been the glass half full guy for many years when it comes to all things Spurs. I still am (to a degree) but maybe the years of building up my optimism only to be let down is starting to take its toll!?

I am glad you think Hojbjerg and Dele can press and play high intensity football. For me Hojbjerg cannot press he is far to slow and Dele spends to much time show boating and diving around. I have no faith in any off our midfielders. Yes there is talent there but I don't know if the mentality is. Nuno does not have the winning mentality. We shall see what happens but I think we need not one or two player's we need many more

Hojbjerg's weakness is open spaces. That is clear. He will work better in a system with a higher back line without a slow player like Toby behind him. He will also work better in a pack mentality where everyone is working together. I didn't see either in a Jose system.

I think we all know that Hojbjerg is a limited player. I'll be happier when he is looked at more as a useful squad player. Unless we go in for someone like Neves, that may not happen in the coming season. If you were to put Neves just behind Tanguy, Gio and Dele it goes up a level. Perhaps Skipp can help us go up a level as well. Too early to know.

Hojbjerg was top interceptor in the final 3rd of the pitch the season before we signed him. Which is pressing from the front.

Pretty sure he was in the top 3 again last season.

He was also one of the top creators in the Euros then finishing in the team of the tournament.

I get he has his faults and isn't perfect but he is nowhere near as bad as you are making out.

PJ, one of things I noted over the recent years was the general slowness of our play. The delving on ball leading to opposition reorganising, no outlet for a pass and back or sideways it went. In contrast, in the early years under Poch, we'd progress upfield rapidly, often through Eriksen, Demebele, Dele and bang!.

The decay in our movement had become so frustrating hence the DNA comments. I realise it is very early days but the two pre-seasons, I did note the back line were passing quicker (even if it was sideways). There are many chemistry issues to resolve and half the squad to enter the fray. I think (hope) we will see a more progressive football and better movement all over the pitch - Wolves attacked as a team and defended as one.

(as a footnote, I should add, I am not confident Dier, Winks are players for that style and that Dele will need to adapt the most).

Hojbjerg was top interceptor in the final 3rd of the pitch the season before we signed him. Which is pressing from the front.

Pretty sure he was in the top 3 again last season.

He was also one of the top creators in the Euros then finishing in the team of the tournament.

I get he has his faults and isn't perfect but he is nowhere near as bad as you are making out.
Good points.

It's worth remembering also that he spent the first six months of last season playing alongside Sissoko. So he was effectively having to think for two.

And Ndombele - hardly the most industrious of players - wasn't an ideal partner for him either.

He's also still relatively young - 25 - so there's still scope for improvement.

He's clearly not without his weaknesses but in a system that plays to his strengths there are many worse players playing in the PL in his position.

Good points.

It's worth remembering also that he spent the first six months of last season playing alongside Sissoko. So he was effectively having to think for two.

And Ndombele - hardly the most industrious of players - wasn't an ideal partner for him either.

He's clearly not without his weaknesses but in a system that plays to his strengths there are many worse players playing in the PL in his position.

Exactly.

We don't have many 1st 11 starters left, but Hojbjerg is one of them.

Good points.

In a system that includes the sloppiness of Lo Celso and Alli in front of him, he'll be working overtime, mitigating their penchant for giving the ball away. It's too often Sissoko, N'dom, Moura, and Berg where the fingers point.