Transfer Window - January 2021 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

You're probably correct but all being said i'm glad we still have him. He's definitely improved under Mourinho's stewardship.

Me, I'd rather have the player who is better now, and has a skys-the-limit potential.

Serge may have improved, but he's still a howler waiting to happen. There's a reason Jose said to him "You scare the shit outta me".

Wish he woulda left.

Whenever I look at the squad now the one area of concern is what happens if Hojbjerg is injured?

He’s the only player if feel we can’t replace adequately. As much as Winks is a home grown boy and Spurs through and through, I’d sacrifice him to sign another no nonsense holding midfielder.

Whenever I look at the squad now the one area of concern is what happens if Hojbjerg is injured?

He’s the only player if feel we can’t replace adequately. As much as Winks is a home grown boy and Spurs through and through, I’d sacrifice him to sign another no nonsense holding midfielder.
Agree totally with this.

Agree totally with this.

I competely disagree - against Burnley we showed how poor we can be when we have no one holding/shielding and keeping the ball, so we reverted to long hit and hopes exactly when we needed to take the heat out of their play - instead of that we just kept for long period hoiking the ball long and giving it back to them.

No good having a defensive holding player if after a turnaround can expect the opposition to come straight back at us.

Last edited:
I competely diagree - against Burnley we showed how poor we can be when we have no one holding/shielding and keeping the ball, so we reverted to long hit and hopes exactly when we needed to take the heat out of their play - instead of that we just kept for long period hoiking the ball long and giving it back to them.

No good having a defensive holding player if after a turnaround can expect the opposition to come straight back at us.
Fair enough, can't disagree with your comments Ex re the Burnley game. I think however that Sheringham's original post which I was agreeing with, referred more to whether Winks is a good enough replacement for Hojbjerg if he were injured for a period. For me, he's not.

As I've mentioned before PEH wasn't my first choice, I wanted Lundstrom from Sheffield United. But I've been well impressed with him, incidentally Lundstrom is out of contract next summer and can sign pre-contact in Jan. I would sign him and move Mousa on, I think he would be excellent for us.

I competely disagree - against Burnley we showed how poor we can be when we have no one holding/shielding and keeping the ball, so we reverted to long hit and hopes exactly when we needed to take the heat out of their play - instead of that we just kept for long period hoiking the ball long and giving it back to them.

Exactly.

I'm all for finding another holding midfielder with the brain of Hojberg to have 2 genuine players for that position. Tonight is a good example of where they would play. I'm then focusing on NDombele, Gio, Dele and Winks to make up the 6 man squad options for the other 2 places. Gedson might also get involved.

We should also understand that we can play Hojberg, Gio, Ndomble Dele/Bale, Son, Kane in the same team. We don't have to play this long ball crap.

CB and CM are our weakest positions if we stick to this 4-2-1-3 formation.

We do not have a commanding CB who is consistent and we do not have a CM who bosses with good, positive possession and a cool head.

I do also think that Mourinho is tactically lacking at the moment too as neither of our gameplans seem to involve the CM having possession. Gameplan one is soak up pressure and counter and gameplan two is hoof ball up front. I also want to see Mourinho figure out how to get more from players like Winks, Sanchez, Dele, Dier and possibly even Hojbjerg to some extent.

Dele has worked hard tbf but it hasn't been working out for him. Perhaps his attitude isn't the problem after all. That could be a secondary problem masking the real concern ie his fitness.

He just doesn't fit the way we play. He's one dimensional although he is very good defensively and offensively in the right setup.

He just doesn't fit the way we play. He's one dimensional although he is very good defensively and offensively in the right setup.
I don't think he suits our counter attacking style either, that being said his movement off the ball is exceptional. If anything it's his poor touch that's been his achilles heel of late. Perhaps his confidence has taken a knock or he's trying a little too hard to impress. Whatever it is it isn't working for him atm. Thing is he's living on borrowed time now.