Transfer targets | Vital Football

Transfer targets

Kentishimp

Vital Squad Member
Article in the Echo saying we're looking for league 1 standard players.

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/lincoln-city-are-chasing-league-one-standard-players-reveals-danny-cowley/story-30075974-detail/story.html

Could we possibly tempt Jonny Margetts back on loan until the end of the season & if Scunny do go up a possible permanent move back?

He doesn't get much of a look in there still.

Kentishimp - 22/1/2017 09:29

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/lincoln-city-are-chasing-league-one-standard-players-reveals-danny-cowley/story-30075974-detail/story.html

Could we possibly tempt Jonny Margetts back on loan until the end of the season & if Scunny do go up a possible permanent move back?

Not for me, needs to be playing and and demonstrating he can score on a regular basis. I don't think he was here long enough for us to judge. I'm still looking at those White Cliffs, you never know and if no league club has come in for National League players who are deemed football league standard then you never know. Always expect the unexpected.

German Imp - 22/1/2017 01:42

Kentishimp - 22/1/2017 09:29

Not for me, needs to be playing and and demonstrating he can score on a regular basis. I don't think he was here long enough for us to judge. I'm still looking at those White Cliffs, you never know and if no league club has come in for National League players who are deemed football league standard then you never know. Always expect the unexpected.

If you are alluding to Ricky Miller then, as I've said elsewhere, I think he is completely the wrong fit for our squad. He is selfish, single minded, loose cannon. He comes with external baggage.

If the Cowley's think they can channel his less than savoury traits I will accept their judgement but my gut feeling is that he is more trouble than he is worth. Unlike Dover, we don't need to build a team round one player and I think Miller wants to be that important...

...he isn't.

Absolutely agree that Miller is not 'the right sort of person' (Cowley likes to sign people, not players). Our squad only needs tweaking (barring injuries of course), not a marquee signing, and Miller would fall into the latter category.

Margetts and/ or Anderson would be great additions for the final third of the season - they know the squad, the management, the ethos - and would be more than useful off the bench at least.

I also agree with the previous 2 posts. The article alluded to L1 class players that counts out Miller, he may be a goal scorer down here he would IMO not be any where near as prolific in L1. L2 would find him out.

Have to agree washy. The fit will be down to the cowleys and they will make the right call but footballing wise to say no thanks to ricky miller....!

ImpfromWashy - 22/1/2017 10:43

I don't know anything about Millers temperament or attitude but footballing wise I would sign him in a jot.......

He threw his toys out of the pram earlier in the season, which resulted in Kinear not picking him for the first team for a short while. He didn't leave Luton on the greatest of terms, hence why he ended up at Dover.

ImpfromWashy - 22/1/2017 02:43

I don't know anything about Millers temperament or attitude but footballing wise I would sign him in a jot.......

I'd agree. The Cowley's however have made it abundantly clear they sign the right sort of people. Anecdotely on Friday night at the end of the game Miller just turned round and walked off. No handshakes, cursory acknowledgement of the Dover fans that travelled on Friday night to Lincoln to watch him.

That's before you start looking into his off field antics while at Boston United and Luton.

He had a chance to progress himself when at Luton. Thought he was a bit of Bertie Big Bo//ocks. It's possibly not a surprise that despite his ability he is plying his trade at the relative backwater of Dover. *IF* he gets a move here, or anywhere else, I suspect he is entering the last chance saloon. I'm not sure I credit him with enough nous to realise this...

There is no way we would spend 100k plus on Miller. Dover already allegedly knocked back that sort of figure earlier on in the season from FGR. I know Miller is out of contract come the end of the season so I guess Dover will sell to a FL club if they know they aren't getting into the play offs?

Weren't the Cowley's interested in him (made a bid?) earlier in the season. If that is indeed correct then they obviously think they can 'mould' him into their sort of player.

ImpfromWashy - 22/1/2017 10:54

Man management......

But as any sports psychologist (yes, most top sports teams employ them) will tell you it only takes one bad apple to upset the whole apple cart. I was fortunate to once meet the sports psychologist hired by Britains RFL for tour of Auz a few years and it was one player that wrecked thier chances in antipodes.

To be fair, at Luton, he was found not guilty of charges he was accused of.

At Dover earlier in the season he got sent off and Kinnear decided to make an example of him for some reason. Dover fans had no idea what Kinnear was playing at.

Scored 26? Might be able to live with an attitude if he has one which people are only presuming.

Towards the end of the season having as many goal scoring options as possible is a good thing.

I think he would be a great buy as a totally different striker (with the possible exception of Marriott) to what we already have. I also think the Cowleys would be able to handle him. Kinnear is a clown and an inferior man-manager compared to Danny. Just can't see Dover selling him to us! Hopefully their chairman will sell him along business lines rather than personal.

Let's be realist here.

For those saying he's a bad egg, we've already made an approach this season, therefor Danny and Nicky must think he is manageable. They work hard on recruitment.

Others saying he wouldn't cut it in League 1 or League 2. He's on 26 goals this season, none of our players are anywhere near that figure. Our team beat a league 1 side and a championship side over two games, if our players can cut it against higher League opposition then Ricky most certainly can.

I would have him here in a heartbeat and if we did sign him, the league might as well hand over the title!

This thread should just be renamed 'Ricky Miller'.

I think we have a reasonable chance of signing Miller after the transfer window closes for league clubs if we continue to build a sizeable lead. In that instance Dover may no longer see us as a threat, they won't get any more money from another club for Miller and he will be worth nothing to them at the end of the season. I can see Kinnear holding out for quite a bit of money though.

Personally I think he could upset the apple cart but if the Cowleys sign him they will make him a Cowley player whether he likes it or not.