Transfer Deadline Day 2023 | Page 17 | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day 2023

I’m sorry so many people wanted 10-11 marquee signings on £4-7k a week. We were blinded by talk of other big names/Alfie May and then didn’t get them so we look with scorn at any player that isn’t one of them.

Think you're spinning things there. I can't recall anyone saying we wanted or expecting 10-11 marquee signings or pouring scorn at any of our incoming signings - if I'm wrong, please direct me to the quotes where someone has said that.

I also think the consensus if that the transfer window overall was great and just what we needed. However, the word "underwhelmed" was used quite a bit for about transfer deadline day and NOT the whole window and that's not because of the talk of Alfie May or others, but because of comments straight from the horses' mouths in terms of things being played up by BG, Hess and Harris. I am guessing their plans didn't quite come off and some of the intended targets fell through, so it's quite understandable that people felt a little underwhelmed on transfer deadline day, but I would imagine the same people (me included) were all happy at the overall window.

If NH is still the manager next season and we remain in league 2, I feel if he fails to take us up beit top 3 or via play-offs BG will tell him time to go. Dont think he will want us lurking around league 2 too long.

Hess was sacked for missing out on the playoffs some years ago in this division. TBF, he had some decent players at his disposal - better than NH had pre-BG, but I would envisage that he didn't have anywhere near the budget that Harris will have next season. So regardless of who the manager is next season, if BG continues his spending so far in the summer, there will be no excuses for playoffs minimum next season.

Think you're spinning things there. I can't recall anyone saying we wanted or expecting 10-11 marquee signings or pouring scorn at any of our incoming signings - if I'm wrong, please direct me to the quotes where someone has said that.

I also think the consensus if that the transfer window overall was great and just what we needed. However, the word "underwhelmed" was used quite a bit for about transfer deadline day and NOT the whole window and that's not because of the talk of Alfie May or others, but because of comments straight from the horses' mouths in terms of things being played up by BG, Hess and Harris. I am guessing their plans didn't quite come off and some of the intended targets fell through, so it's quite understandable that people felt a little underwhelmed on transfer deadline day, but I would imagine the same people (me included) were all happy at the overall window.

Spot on mate,icing on the cake for me was Masterson,think there was a lot of Twitter hacking going on which didn’t help anyone

Hess was sacked for missing out on the playoffs some years ago in this division. TBF, he had some decent players at his disposal - better than NH had pre-BG, but I would envisage that he didn't have anywhere near the budget that Harris will have next season. So regardless of who the manager is next season, if BG continues his spending so far in the summer, there will be no excuses for playoffs minimum next season.

I sort of agree, but we really do need to analyse the quality of signings closely in the summer.

I am sure I am in a minority of one but I was not totally sold on trying to sign Stockley, Marriott or Tshimanga. They would all know their status in the game and I would have been very suspicious of their motives in not only dropping a division below where they are capable of playing but also for a club that has only relegation avoidance to play for this season. It just suggested mercenaries to me and we have already been stung by the JET experience.

In the summer, the slate will be wiped clean but, even then, we will not be told what salaries BG will pay new players. Although the signings have been great so far and invigorated the team, two were from Mansfield who were an 8th placed League Two team (where we finished under Hess) and another was from a fellow League Two struggler (Nichols) supplemented by Dieng who was warming the subs bench in League One.

Maybe Harris will be gone by then and it will be another manager that will facing the high expectations, or maybe not, but it will be an interesting watch.

I think the last day of the window was perhaps the only mis-step the new regime has made, in terms of expectation against delivery ( The daft 'curtain' image was no help) .
Having said that it would be churlish not to congratulate the whole management team on great progress so far. My reading of the situation is that we were probably outbid on a couple of our targets but that's a far cry from the b/s we used to get under the previous ownership.

I think the last day of the window was perhaps the only mis-step the new regime has made, in terms of expectation against delivery ( The daft 'curtain' image was no help) .
Having said that it would be churlish not to congratulate the whole management team on great progress so far. My reading of the situation is that we were probably outbid on a couple of our targets but that's a far cry from the b/s we used to get under the previous ownership.

The curtain image was the marketing & comms team doing their best to engage with supporters

I agree the curtain image was slightly tongue-in-cheek as they have been mentioned in some quarters quite often and as being old and outdated. Granted some clubs do announce singings better than us.

I do remember however remember tom eaves satring ina season ticket promotion video or something along those lines. Maybe someone on here can find it and attach a link.

You may all gather that I like to look on You tube for any action featuring our new signings.

I came across this featuring Millwall goals scored by Aiden O'Brien, including one against us at 1:20, and although not too many are that spectacular it looks like in the past he had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. A fox in the box?
All The Goals | Aiden O'Brien - YouTube

FFP doesn’t exist for L1 or L2.

There are turnover to spending rules though, although I believe these are easy to get around.

Hmm.
It seems like they felt that the Galinsons had already invested more than enough.
Makes the pursuit of Stockley and Marriott appear more fanciful.
Abrahams would be on a fraction of their wages, and for whatever reason we could not sign him last summer (money being the obvious one), that hurdle didn't exist now.

The best bit of that interview for is the final paragraph

"lads who have come in on 18 month or two-and-a-half year deals"

Good to know that at least some of the new arrivals are with us for next season and possibly the season after that too.

I know there isn't FFP as such however I thought we had a turnover to wages ratio we had to stay within. I understand Shannon and Brad have put in a fair chunk of money however we currently have a lot of players on the books so even with the new finance have probably reached that %. Its also possible they will wait until the summer and a few league one wages inherited are removed before going out and signing a few again

Bit too early to be sure who is wanted ?
Are they willing to move?
Can the clubs reach agreement on the contract side of things?
With any one from the top half of the national league hopeful of progressing through the play offs competition might heat up if some of our better fringe players what to move.
Also of course there is Maidstone, Ebbsfleet and Dartford possibly looking to strengthen for the second half of the season.

I know there isn't FFP as such however I thought we had a turnover to wages ratio we had to stay within. I understand Shannon and Brad have put in a fair chunk of money however we currently have a lot of players on the books

That last part is certainly true. Macca puts an amusing spin on it in his piece for KOL this morning, when he mentions lack of parking spaces leading to parking tickets :LOL:
Gillingham midfielder Alex MacDonald on the positive changes at the club since Brad Galinson's takeover at Priestfield (kentonline.co.uk)