Transfer Deadline Day 2023 | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day 2023

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Seeing as, for once, we might be very highly involved in this, I thought it deserved its own thread. Possibly a few INS and a few OUTS.

I’ll start it with Lancs excellent rumour on the transfer rumours thread.

I heard yesterday (from someone pretty well placed) that we`re in talks with two players who we hope to have signed before the deadline on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Also just mentioned in that thread was Mubama the U23 from WHU. I saw those rumours too, although a lot of folk saying there’s no way West Ham would send him to L2. He’s too good. They have another striker that was also linked, name escapes me.

Any other tit bits and rumours as we go into the last 2 days of the window?

Great thread. OSK.
I would expect Lee will have his contract mutually terminated before the deadline to enable him to sign for someone for free outside of the window.

Would love to see a marquee forward signed with a fanfare. We don’t get to announce ‘big’ signings and it’s always jarring when other teams do it, so it’d be nice for it to be us for once.

Great thread. OSK.
I would expect Lee will have his contract mutually terminated before the deadline to enable him to sign for someone for free outside of the window.

Would love to see a marquee forward signed with a fanfare. We don’t get to announce ‘big’ signings and it’s always jarring when other teams do it, so it’d be nice for it to be us for once.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens with Lee. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see O’Keefe lined up with another club. Maybe also Green depart and Adelakun back to Lincoln.

As for ins, a marquee forward would be excellent. And last week it sounded like that might be possible with that strong rumour that we were chasing 3 different forwards, all of whom were said to be a “wow” signing if we got any one of them.

But that interview with NH yesterday, sounded like we are “only” in for loans. Who knows.

Think we do need a LB to challenge Dave T.

Hoping to see 3/4 incoming - with another quality forward (this time with pace to give us another option - we seriously lacked that on Saturday; think had we had a pacey forward at 3-1 when Swindon were pushing and open at the back, we may have got a 4th or 5th and killed the game); I'd like to see a left sided midfielder/wing back with a good cross, who can deliver the sort of ball Macca has been from the right; plus another decent CB - happy to see Masterson come in, but Max is not getting any younger and Wright has sometimes looked suspect as a CB - still not sure if he's better at CB or RB, but Mackenzie and Alexander have the latter more than covered now. Another player or two on top of that to bolster the squad would be ideal (including potentially another decent holding midfielder as cover for Williams).

I'd be quite happy to see the following moved on to another club/have their contact terminated by mutual consent - Lee, Harriott, Adelakun (back to Lincoln if possible, even if it means they loan him elsewhere), Green and potentially O'Keefe, if it means someone better comes in. I don't think Reeves will play again for the Gills, but from his point of view, can't see why he'd want to leave now as he'll be being paid until his contract's up and presumably the club are facilitating his rehabilitation.

Not our deadline dealings. But even if we didn’t nab him, looks like Hartlepool might have to ward off clubs wanting Umerah -

Football League Week tweeted -

NEWS: Burton Albion have made a bid for Hartlepool United striker Josh Umerah.

Will certainly harm ‘Pools chances of staying up if they lose him.

As a slight aside, and thinking about the type of forward Steve Treacle suggested we should look for (which I agreed with) - i`d say someone in the style of Jamille Matt. He moved from Forrest Green to Walsall just a few days ago - disappointed we didn`t get him. A player in that mould would suit us IMHO.

BTW, isn`t it a nice change to be so positive about the Gills toiling away in the market, looking to make quality signings ! UTG...

Not our deadline dealings. But even if we didn’t nab him, looks like Hartlepool might have to ward off clubs wanting Umerah -

Football League Week tweeted -

NEWS: Burton Albion have made a bid for Hartlepool United striker Josh Umerah.

Will certainly harm ‘Pools chances of staying up if they lose him.

If Hartlepool get a good fee for Umerah they might try again to sign Nick Haughton from AFC Fylde.

Blooody ‘eck!

Over on Twitter it’s being reported that Fleetwood have signed both Jack Marriott AND Jayden Stockley 😳

Fleetwood? Wow.

Blooody ‘eck!

Over on Twitter it’s being reported that Fleetwood have signed both Jack Marriott AND Jayden Stockley 😳

Fleetwood? Wow.
I guess Fleetwood are trying to do all they can to stay up the same way we are. Im sure one or both would have signed for us if we'd still been in League 1. Always felt like Fleetwood were the team that should have gone down instead of us, that frustrating 0-0 at home to them near end of the season really cost us.

Approach for Deji Oshilaja rejected by Burton according to Football Insider 247 on twitter

No idea how reliable a source that is but they have over 90k followers and Peter O'Rourke linked the story also and he's as reliable as they come

Approach for Deji Oshilaja rejected by Burton according to Football Insider 247 on twitter

No idea how reliable a source that is but they have over 90k followers and Peter O'Rourke linked the story also and he's as reliable as they come

We must be able to do better than him. Always a mistake in him, and his performance when Brackley put four past us still gives me nightmares.

I thought we were trying to make our defence better not worse. Car crash of a defender.

* if rumour is true of course.

Just a thought - Oshilaja could have improved since leaving the Gills...

Didn't realise how young he was when he played for us, he was 22 when he first joined in 2015, think you can forgive defenders the odd mistake at that age.

Still only 29 now, and since leaving us he's had a season in the Championship with Charlton, and been playing regularly in League 1 with Wimbledon and Burton.

I certainly wouldn't rush to make any judgements about him based on how he played last time he was with us.