Tomlin in talks | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tomlin in talks

Why do you trust him? Lot of signings so far and no advancement.

Dawson I'm on the fence about, good player years ago but remember Jenas coming back...

There is no advancement as far as league position goes, so in that sense you are correct; but there as been significant advancement in our defensive capabilities and we now have leadership and organisation on the pitch, mandatory building blocks for all successful teams.

If Karanka gets his players and ships out the ones he deems surplus, we will have progressed from MWs style over substance play to a style and substance team.

Dawson is obviously as gamble but the comparison with Jenas is not really fair; Jermaine arrived after a season plagued with injuries and fitness issues whereas Dawson has just played a full season, more or less.

Why do you trust him? Lot of signings so far and no advancement.

Dawson I'm on the fence about, good player years ago but remember Jenas coming back...

Hull seem to want to keep Dawson.... in my opinion, I think he's a solid professional at this level and can only help our youngsters.

With regard to AK, he managed to identify our primary problems in goal/midfield and made signings that specifically addressed those areas after just a few weeks in the job.

He showed no empathy when offloading players, regarded as deadwood/trouble etc too and on that premise alone, I'm more confident that he is aware of our shortcomings and will build further, whilst also moving others on.

There is no advancement as far as league position goes, so in that sense you are correct; but there as been significant advancement in our defensive capabilities and we now have leadership and organisation on the pitch, mandatory building blocks for all successful teams.

If Karanka gets his players and ships out the ones he deems surplus, we will have progressed from MWs style over substance play to a style and substance team.

Dawson is obviously as gamble but the comparison with Jenas is not really fair; Jermaine arrived after a season plagued with injuries and fitness issues whereas Dawson has just played a full season, more or less.

:agree:

You are getting all confused regarding foreign people. Albanis signed for Athens. Soudani is supposed to be en route to the CG for £3m

Soudani/Albanis :slap: All very confusing - I never had any problems with good old fashioned English names (Wignall & Baker;)) - Smith & Jones etc.

I watched Hull a few times this season and his passing and calm on the ball is still at a very good level hence Hull wishing to keep him.

Trust is difficult to quantify.

I trust Karanka. I can't exactly quantity why. Maybe it's the things he's said or the things he's done. Maybe it's the way they play. I can't really say for sure.

i didn't trust Warburton one bit. Not one single bit. I can't quantify that for certain either, any more than anyone else can say why they trusted him or dont trust Karanka.

I personally don't trust Tomlin as a player either. He seems flakey

It feels like we've had too many Tomlins in the past. Impress when playing for a deal, then back to lazy habits before the inks dry on a shiny new contract. Not one of those gambles has really paid off. I've got my concerns about Tomlin, I just hope AK can coax a good season out of him.

On the flip side, Tomlin is actually something we have lacked- a mercurial threat.

He'll maybe only have one outstanding game in four (and two will be pretty poor), but as a fan it's always nice to have someone who you know is capable of that explosive bit of magic that can turn a game.

If you are a solid team that is battling at the top then the overall team is more important. But we are unlikely to be that next season, in which case a Tomlin figure is good to have to give us hope in games.

We also need free kick takers, which we haven't had in years

Last edited:
Tomlin has serious ability. Unfortunately in addition to his lack of pace he also has a serious lack of consistency, both in terms of using his ability and in terms of work rate.

Even in the short time he has been here we have seen him destroy defenders and be almost everywhere in one game and then in the next we have barely noticed him.

If AK thinks he can get the best out of him then fair enough for the right price. One thing bringing him in does dispel is the thought that AK only wants workhorses in his team.

With regard to Dawson that's true, and defence is kinder on a 35year olds legs than a midfielders, even so...

My question to you then is: given this 'defensive solidity and leadership', why was his points per game worse than MWs?

I'm far from convinced by your claims of style and substance too, unless the style you're suggesting is one of defensive safety first football.

I appreciate you've bought into the new regime more than I have, perhaps that's shading both our perspectives.

Am I in the minority that will be pleased if Tomlin signs then ?
I must admit I like having a bit of a maverick in the side even if they do go missing from time to time.
Nice having at least one player that is capable of the extraordinary rather than being a steady Eddie but unlikely to get you off your seat.

With regard to Dawson that's true, and defence is kinder on a 35year olds legs than a midfielders, even so...

My question to you then is: given this 'defensive solidity and leadership', why was his points per game worse than MWs?

You didn't ask me but I'm going to reply anyway.

Very, very simple CP- the first 20 odd games were heavily reliant on three goalscorers (Murphy, Dowell and McKay) whose form collapsed mid season under Warburton and never recovered.

41% of our league goals for the season were scored by these three - in the first half of the season.

The last goal by any of these three was on 20th January (Dowell) in Karanka's second game in charge. McKay's last goal was beginning of December against Bolton and Murphy's last goal was back in mid November against Norwich.

You want to know why points showed no progress?

The goalscorers behind most of those early points (and let's be honest, those results were not outstanding either) stopped scoring regularly from November onwards and as a result we fatally lacked goals.

There is nothing to suggest that this would have been better under a continued Warburton reign given the problem originated there

Am I in the minority that will be pleased if Tomlin signs then ?
I must admit I like having a bit of a maverick in the side even if they do go missing from time to time.
Nice having at least one player that is capable of the extraordinary rather than being a steady Eddie but unlikely to get you off your seat.
In one sense I am really happy. Like you say he is a maverick and capable of producing moments of magic.

On the other I think familiarity breeds contempt and I am more interested in the new players we are bringing in.

For all his ability he was part of a squad that broke our record for minutes without scoring so unless we bring in some quality up front, the addition of Tomlin doesn’t really take us forward.

Brizzle fans have been saying similar. When he can be bothered, he can be a half decent striker. Problem is that doesn’t happen very often. It seems he needs to be pushed, before he motivates himself. So if we can get better, he might be useful as an impact sub. We can’t rely on him however, because that’s when he gets lazy.

Brizzle fans have been saying similar. When he can be bothered, he can be a half decent striker. Problem is that doesn’t happen very often. It seems he needs to be pushed, before he motivates himself. So if we can get better, he might be useful as an impact sub. We can’t rely on him however, because that’s when he gets lazy.

Missing out on a.chance in the PL might give some motivation?

You didn't ask me but I'm going to reply anyway.

Very, very simple CP- the first 20 odd games were heavily reliant on three goalscorers (Murphy, Dowell and McKay) whose form collapsed mid season under Warburton and never recovered.

41% of our league goals for the season were scored by these three - in the first half of the season.

The last goal by any of these three was on 20th January (Dowell) in Karanka's second game in charge. McKay's last goal was beginning of December against Bolton and Murphy's last goal was back in mid November against Norwich.

You want to know why points showed no progress?

The goalscorers behind most of those early points (and let's be honest, those results were not outstanding either) stopped scoring regularly from November onwards and as a result we fatally lacked goals.

There is nothing to suggest that this would have been better under a continued Warburton reign given the problem originated there

Agreed in the main, though 3 players scoring 40% of goals isn't a particularly large figure.

Also agreed there are no guarantees that we'd have been better off under MW in the short term, in the long run though...

While I do see the increased defensive solidity and organisation, to achieve that we sacrificed a little of our threat. Formation became far more rigid and we became reliant on our left back and a chubby dude to feel up for it. It wasn't simply that their goals dried up, more that we exchanged a little more defence for a little less offence.

How often did we watch an isolated, frustrated ineffective BB ploughing away alone?

How often did we see Ben Brereton out on the wing do nothing? How often did we see an attack turn to defence as a ball in the final third found its way back to our keeper? Those rose tinted bins must be working magic