Tom Hopper | Page 5 | Vital Football

Tom Hopper

£150k seems steep to me for a player who can and likely will leave for nothing at the end of the year, just back from an ACL injury, living near to us (so commuting several hours to train and play) and playing for a team at the wrong end of the table with money problems. It's a buyer's market in this case and that seems a rip-off. Could be used for wages for a very decent player for a year.

£150k seems steep to me for a player who can and likely will leave for nothing at the end of the year, just back from an ACL injury, living near to us (so commuting several hours to train and play) and playing for a team at the wrong end of the table with money problems. It's a buyer's market in this case and that seems a rip-off. Could be used for wages for a very decent player for a year.
Depends on how the £150, if that's correct, is structured I suppose and how big a piece of the jigsaw MA thinks he will be.

Depends on how the £150, if that's correct, is structured I suppose and how big a piece of the jigsaw MA thinks he will be.

Exactly this. If you haven’t seen the jigsaw how can you really judge the importance / value of a single piece. As always value for money or otherwise can only really be judged with the benefit of hindsight.

Well....... if the Sarfend fans don't really know if their player is Hopper or Hooper do they deserve their 46 goal a season striker?

Now my memory might be playing tricks but which club only brought about 4000 fans to the Millennium Stadium for that final? (Clue - it wasn’t us).

From memory I think they had around 6000 there that day but I also think they reached the Auto Windscreens final or whatever it was called then earlier in the season at the Millennium and had around 20000 there !

May 2018 when he was released by Scunthorpe. I think it was more social media than anything else - connection made because he lived in Lincoln.

No he was definitely coming here when he left Scunmy before Southend came in and doubled the wages we had offered him.

Well, I've got news for Southend fans: we have always been and always will be a bigger club than them.

Just remind me - PO Final in Cardiff, 2005. Crowd of almost 20,000. How many were Imps and how many were Southend? IIRC is was about 6,000 and I wondered if they had a couple of train loads lost en route or if they just couldn’t be bothered. Unfortunately we lost that day - one of the biggest disappointments of my Imps-supporting life as they were total crap and it was almost as though they were just there as an afterthought.

Just remind me - PO Final in Cardiff, 2005. Crowd of almost 20,000. How many were Imps and how many were Southend? IIRC is was about 6,000 and I wondered if they had a couple of train loads lost en route or if they just couldn’t be bothered. Unfortunately we lost that day - one of the biggest disappointments of my Imps-supporting life as they were total crap and it was almost as though they were just there as an afterthought.

It caused great consternation in the face painting ranks I can tell you. I was chatting to one of them whilst she was painting my daughter's face and she asked how many were coming to the game. I mentioned how many tickets Southend had sold and she immediately broke off saying "You're kidding", before phoning her mate to say, "You'd better get down this end they've only sold 5000 tickets where you are".

It caused great consternation in the face painting ranks I can tell you. I was chatting to one of them whilst she was painting my daughter's face and she asked how many were coming to the game. I mentioned how many tickets Southend had sold and she immediately broke off saying "You're kidding", before phoning her mate to say, "You'd better get down this end they've only sold 5000 tickets where you are".
Hope they kept the receipt for the blue face paint.

Now my memory might be playing tricks but which club only brought about 4000 fans to the Millennium Stadium for that final? (Clue - it wasn’t us).

I recall they put in an appearance at the Mill Stad in the Autoglass Trophy final (or whatever it was called back then) a few weeks prior to the PO final. That seriously dented their following on that day, as it would the Imps had the situation been reversed.