Tom Hopper | Page 11 | Vital Football

Tom Hopper

Wasn’t the 150 the release clause ?
How I'm interpreting it from what Southend's media have said is that he didn't have a release clause, he had a relegation clause. If Southend got relegated, he could leave for free. Aside from that, it was just a normal negotiation.

Not sure the contract agreement between him and the club would have any effect on the agreement between us and Southend? They wouldn't give a toss about it.
Fees are often paid across a period of the players contract, so in some cases it will have an impact.

Fees are often paid across a period of the players contract, so in some cases it will have an impact.

It seems an odd way of doing it to me tbh, as I say you're looking at two separate agreements between different parties so I don't see there's anything in it for the selling club, but if they did agree that would be OK. Here though I think Southend announced the fee had been met before there was any negotiation with the player so I think it's incredibly unlikely the contract length had any impact on the fee payment, they're not about to change their conditions based on the subsequent negotiation they're not involved in.

What it does affect is the depreciation of the fee in the accounts. If his contract is recorded as an asset in the accounts at £150k then the depreciation would show as £42.9k per year as a cost over a 3.5 year contract as against £75k if it was over two years, say.

Sorry that's very boring!

It seems an odd way of doing it to me tbh, as I say you're looking at two separate agreements between different parties so I don't see there's anything in it for the selling club, but if they did agree that would be OK. Here though I think Southend announced the fee had been met before there was any negotiation with the player so I think it's incredibly unlikely the contract length had any impact on the fee payment, they're not about to change their conditions based on the subsequent negotiation they're not involved in.

What it does affect is the depreciation of the fee in the accounts. If his contract is recorded as an asset in the accounts at £150k then the depreciation would show as £42.9k per year as a cost over a 3.5 year contract as against £75k if it was over two years, say.

Sorry that's very boring!
BUT only if he’s an average player...

If he plays well, gets loads of assists and a good number of goals his worth will increase.

Are you a car salesman? Your maths sound like Hopper is a car who depreciating on condition and mileage

I would imagine if John Akinde does move as widely rumoured then the signing of Tom Hopper will be pretty much 'carbon neutral' from a financial point of view.

If he plays well, gets loads of assists and a good number of goals his worth will increase.

Are you a car salesman? Your maths sound like Hopper is a car who depreciating on condition and mileage

That is how he'll appear in the accounts.
If his worth increases, like anything, he'd only be worth what anyone would actually pay for him.
Ultimately cash is king!

Valid points on the deal length as well. I suspect we'll be seeing more of them in the coming transfer windows in order to protect the Club more. Not all will go to plan, not every transfer does, but it's a way of doing things that served Oxford well under MA.

As an aside, would we class Hopper as the first in the squad of, in theory, a player coming to, or in, their prime? We seem to have lots either side.

I would say the longer deal for a striker makes sense, as that is where the big transfer money can be made.

also, hopper is a similar age to Danny hylton was when Appleton signed him at Oxford. another hard working centre forward who chipped in with plenty of goals.

Not forgetting we bought Coker despite there being no valid MOT certificate and had in fact been fully written off by previous owner.
Has been stuck in the garage, up on the ramp ever since, except for one brief run around the block.

150 k and a 3.5 year deal for a chap that has scored 2 goals in 15 league appearances this term in the same division, sounds a tad risky, hope it pays off.

Akinde has 5 in 21? this season 2 of those against a poor Bolton when they were already beat. Not that different.