Tom Hopper | Page 10 | Vital Football

Tom Hopper

3.5 years takes us through the prime years of his football career. Also means that we are not automatically worrying after 18 months as to whether to extend or cash in. We've seen first hand this January the impact of short term contracts expiring in the summer and the risks that brings.

Would now like to see us build properly for the future. With younger players coming in then these longer contracts are essential if we are to fully realise their value in the transfer market. There seems to be no secret that is going to be our business model moving forward and so I expect to see more deals of this type in the summer.

The longer contract though could actually be of benefit to current budgets as we could then pay for him in possibly 4 instalments, which may be between £25k to £35k or so each.

Not sure the contract agreement between him and the club would have any effect on the agreement between us and Southend? They wouldn't give a toss about it.

Not sure we need to bother employing Appleton whilst we’ve got message board experts writing Hopper off before he’s even kicked a ball.

The reason we employ Appleton is because he has more knowledge than I do, I said to the chap next to me on Saturday, why not leave John-Jules up top while defending a corner as he has pace, could maybe hold a clearance up or chase one down and stop Blackpool quickly recycling the ball.
Ten seconds later he cleared two off our line, hence the reason I am not a manager or expert. But surely on a football forum I am allowed to give my opinion. ?

Last edited:
3.5 years takes us through the prime years of his football career. Also means that we are not automatically worrying after 18 months as to whether to extend or cash in. We've seen first hand this January the impact of short term contracts expiring in the summer and the risks that brings.

Would now like to see us build properly for the future. With younger players coming in then these longer contracts are essential if we are to fully realise their value in the transfer market. There seems to be no secret that is going to be our business model moving forward and so I expect to see more deals of this type in the summer.
Agree with you about younger players. Let’s hope our business model is far superior to that of Man Utd

2.5 years would have felt short and we would be soon into the 'can leave for nothing next year' territory.
I feel this will be the way forward for players in their mid-twentirs who we can look to sell on in a couple of years.
Got to trust MA and indeed the medical reports in this instance.

The reason we employ Appleton is because he has more knowledge than I do, I said to the chap next to me on Saturday, why not leave John-Jules up top while defending a corner as he has pace, could maybe hold a clearance up or chase one down and stop Blackpool quickly recycling the ball.
Ten seconds later he cleared two off our line, hence the reason I am not a manager or expert. But surely on a football forum I am allowed to give my opinion. ?

You can say what you like. And other people can say if they think it’s horseshit. Freedom of speech isn’t freedom from criticism.

Oh good, he can be the new Akinde...

JA’s been much better since he’s been coming off the bench, but for Hopper the difference for me is a) whether his first touch is better, b) whether he is more in tune with his team-mates for passes given and received, and c) whether he can get a clean shot on target, all of which I perceived as JA’s weaknesses. Interesting times though, with four strikers now, three of which have been brought in by MA, presumably to play regularly, odds on JA staying and fighting for his place are not good and looks on his way, possibly to Gillingham from other posts on here.

Last edited:
"An incredibly underrated player here, a lot of our fans loved him and the ones who don't understand football didn't. He does all the dirty work for the other strikers to benefit from, if he could just add a few more goals to his game he would be quality."

Sounds like Norman Corner (and that dates me!).

Still remember the chant ' its a corner' !!