Today's lineup | Page 2 | Vital Football

Today's lineup

That one's got to go down as a point gained rather than 2 lost. Not sure we deserved it really, but as HerrLjunga says, great effort from the team to keep going right to the end.

And Peterborough got what was coming to them for all their timewasting and gamesmanship in the 2nd half.

I'll take a point there. I reckon that at a push you could say we deserved it, We did better in the second half, didn't give up even though we were playing poorly, the conditions were terrible and the officials were obviously conspiring against us as always. The place was rocking at the end by the look of it.

Definitely played better 2nd half. And the officials were piss poor. Will be interesting to see if there's a better view of Parker's "goal" in the highlights tomorrow. Couldn't really tell from the stream, although if I had to choose I'd say it didn't look like it was in, but looking at the Gills Twitter feed, they say it looked in from their angle, and that the goal music had started playing.

I really couldn't tell what was happening with Parker's goal either. There was another incident where Eaves kept the ball in play right down by the corner of the penalty box, him and the defender both went into the hoardings and and the defender blatantly held him from getting back on the pitch. It certainly got the atmosphere going.

A good, if a fortunate point.

I just don't think we create enough chances especially for the home team. Our midfield are very good at breaking up the opposition attacks but don't really create too much. We ended up with a few aimless long balls with the hope that something will happe.

Still that's one for Lovell and the coaches to work on I am just going to celebrate Ehmer and those scenes at the end :-) :7:

That incident you mention there happened just as I was looking at something on the club's Twitter feed, and with the stream being maybe a couple of minutes behind real time, I read about it before it actually happened. They described it as Eaves getting "pulled back ever so slightly". Didn't look too slight to me, it looked like a blatant bit of shirt pulling.

Comment from Lovell in the press conference: "Josh Parker is claiming his effort went over the line. He is disappointed he didn't score the header"

It would be better to ask the Rainham End if it crossed the line, 'cos they all cheered for the goal and players began celebrating before the officials failed to give it. I have never seen such a completely incompetent referee in all my life, and he is supposed to be a Championship referee How he and the Gordon Road linesman failed to see Eaves being held off the pitch, when he had kept the ball in and was trying to get back to it is frightening But from about the third minute, Eaves was being held in a bear hug or a forearm lock around the neck with no whistle from the referee.
Just deserts by Max Ehmer. Peterborough had been diving throughout the game, supported by the referee. Parker appeared to have his eye gouged, with no whistle from the referee, when suddenly one of their players, with nobody around him claims similar and the referee stops the game to get him treatment. Constant time wasting by Peterborough - kicking the ball away we had a free kick etc. so yes, get in there Max!!!

Out of interest, what might the referee award if he sees the defender holding Eaves while both of them are off the pitch? Can you give a penalty for an offence outside the area?

Actually, that's what I was thinking might be the only possible excuse - that both players were outside the field of play even though the ball was still on it. I can't be bothered to trawl through the Laws of the Game but surely that can't be right. That would mean you could kick an opponent up the arse and get away with it as long as you were both outside the touchline. Any referees around here?

A quick Google search gives this

https://www.readingrefs.org.uk/no-penalty-if-a-foul-is-off-the-field/

"If an offence is committed off the field of play, as Alan Pardew suggested happened at Burnley, whilst the ball remains in play, the game when stopped is restarted by a dropped ball where the ball was, when the referee stopped play. Not much of a penalty for the offender but one of those little oddities that referees have to remember"