Today v Burton | Page 6 | Vital Football

Today v Burton

I hope the players stay off twitter as well. I don't want to read Dempsey say "we know we are good enough to beat anyone. We go again. We owe it to the fans".

Talks cheap. Its time to show it on the pitch.

That first half could cost a manager his job. The 70-90 minute period (and the fact we are skint) will save Evans but Scally needs to start thinking about next season and make a change for next season

Thing is manager isn't really the root cause is he.

A stream of crosses to people who struggle to get to the ball and when they do get to it do little with conviction does not a game plan make. The one major tactical success was setting up for long throws and then taking short ones. Had the commentary team baffled, so kudos there.

Johnson made himself useful breaking things up and chasing lost causes, I thought. As someone else said, Drysdale looked more comfortable.

I hope the players stay off twitter as well. I don't want to read Dempsey say "we know we are good enough to beat anyone. We go again. We owe it to the fans".

That first half could cost a manager his job. The 70-90 minute period (and the fact we are skint) will save Evans but Scally needs to start thinking about next season and make a change for next season

yea I would say he is the root cause. His job is to improve what he has, isnt that why we sacked other managers.

If he does Twitter might ban him for spreading lies!

You are being unfair to Burton, they weren't lucky Just better.

In what world can you say that Burton were better than us and not lucky (and I am in no way excusing our pathetic performance in saying this)? Burton had one shot on target, which was a fictional free kick which was fortuitously pinponged off about three players ans squeezed its way past Bonham. We had at least 5 better chances than that. It’s our fault that we didn’t take them but Burton must regard themselves as bloody lucky to come away with a win from that. Sadly, the same applies to Plymouth last week. We really are a poor side, like Burton and Plymouth, at the moment and unless things change will be competing with them fir the bottom four places.

Pre-empting the post-match interview with Steve Evans: "We deserved to win the game, blah, blah, lowest budget in league one".
“We smashed them second half. They’ll be on that coach home thinking there’s been yet another burglary at Priestfield.”

Realistically, we need 6 or 7 new players. I'd settle for a proper striker who knows how to convert a chance. Ours are truly hopeless.
A bit difficult with a big earner out for the rest of the season. I don’t think we need 6-7 players unless you’re thinking of expanding our squad by 3-4 players, which we’re simply won’t/can’t.

yea I would say he is the root cause. His job is to improve what he has, isnt that why we sacked other managers.
Most teams sack their managers after two seasons or so. Can anyone name anyone who can do a better job? Possibly someone like Holloway but as someone else said, could we afford anyone other than a cheap option following paying off Evans? What’s Solano up to? I overheard Steve Lovell mentioning it went downhill for him once Solano started being linked in the national press.

I’m not for sacking Evans BTW.

The lack of security is possibly not helpful. Players being told of musical chairs .Evans has also made mistakes in my view Jackson as the only right back and not replacing Ehmer with a experienced player being the most important. Samuel is also a big loss but given his past record of injuries it was a little predictable.I still believe that Evans is a decent league one manager. As has been said there is not that much between us and the play off sides.The problems appear to be mounting but with maybe three or more new faces and as many departures it could just be that too many players are playing for themselves. That and the lack of experience could just be tipping the balance. We badly need a leader on the pitch. In my view. Someone to drive the lads both in terms of his football and the bit of vocal encouragement that perhaps Evans can only get into the players at half time.

I don’t disagree Chris but my concern is Evans simply hasn’t had the money to replace departed players with similarly experienced professionals. I have no idea what money we have but I’m pretty sure knowing what I do of Evans he wouldn’t have picked those players if he’d been given a larger budget. What must happen going forward though is the addition of some experienced players.

Last edited:
If scally wants to replace evans then his best bet is to refuse to sign new players this window. Evans might have a hissy fit and quit. No compensation.

My thoughts are both will sit tight and amicably part ways in the summer.

I don’t disagree Chris but my concern is Evans simply hasn’t had the money to replace departed players with similarly experienced professionals. I have no idea what money we money we have but I’m pretty sure knowing what I do of Evans he wouldn’t have picked those players if he’d been given a larger budget. What must happen going forward though is the addition of some experienced players.

Or dont employ a manager who can only succeed with a big budget. Employ a couch (e.g pullis type) who can improve a team - work rate, organisation, tactics

When we started this season, most were full of hope with the players Evans had brought in. These players are not performing, even though most if us thought they would. Either too many team changes and they can't settle, or being played out of position. The team is not working as a unit, and they are not playing with pride and passion. I know it's not my fault...

Its not the main issue but they lack a leader on the pitch.

Did anyone see dempsey trying to rally the troops ?

Hes a decent player. He's not a leader but ..............who on the pitch is ?

It is definitely time for honesty between Scally and Evans. Scally backed his instincts and appointed him.The team are not performing.Is that down to the manager?
If Scally feels it is and that this team can produce more with someone else in charge then he must pull the plug on any more deals and tell Evans that he gets nothing more. If Scally still feels Evans is the right man he must find the funds to back him with at least a goal threatening striker and a experienced defender and allow Evans to clear back the squad to help pay for it .Huge few days ahead.

we always have a massive application list to choose from. Dont employ someone who cannot succeed without a large budget when you know you will not be giving him a big budget lol.
That was always the problem and it is not Evans fault that he clearly can't get the players he wants and stay within budget.

I'm no fan of scally BUT I'd argue he has backed Evans. Akinde and Samuel can't be cheap options.
The fact that investment hasn't worked out must be really frustrating for scally.