Tics - Gone but never Forgotten | Vital Football

Tics - Gone but never Forgotten

loudmouthblue

Vital Football Hero
Not sure how many on here use Facebook and the numerous Latics pages on there but it's being reported that regular poster and life long Tic, John Davies who lives in Florida has passed away after losing his battle with Cancer.

I met John in 2013 when he came to Wembley on one of our coaches for the Charity Sheild and later that year to Brugge,

He wore his various larics tops with pride, including some with Heinz and Bulldog tools as sponsors all over Florida.

RIP John.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I was thinking only last week that I hadn't seen him on Facebook for a while. What sad news. I never met him but he came across as a really nice bloke. RIP.

Quite a character , originally from Hindley and carried our flag and never stopped sticking up for us over in Florida along with his Spurs mates.
RIP John.

Knew him well. Used to go in Bobby Peel ( later Wiganer) as a young man. His dad Jack was a proper rum bugger. Landlord Ian Briscoe will be up there to welcome another ex Peeler.

RIP my friend and god bless.

Knew him when I was a kid, he lived round the corner from me in Abram, don't remember him being a Tics mon then, but going back good while, so maybe my memory playing tricks. Saw a lot of his posts on FB, clearly loved the club, even if it was from afar. RIP John

I was also friends with him on Facebook and had the occasional online chat with him over the years.

He was very active on our US-based Supporters Group page.

He seemed like a great man.

Knew him well. Used to go in Bobby Peel ( later Wiganer) as a young man. His dad Jack was a proper rum bugger. Landlord Ian Briscoe will be up there to welcome another ex Peeler.

RIP my friend and god bless.

Ex HAGS and St Peters Boys Brigade.
I grew up around the corner from him and his grandmother's shop.
What is amazing is he never mentioned his illness in the last few years, only happy memories and stories of latics, schooldays and Hindley.

What is amazing is he never mentioned his illness in the last few years, only happy memories and stories of latics, schooldays and Hindley.

Yes, few years older than us...about 68 I think. He laughed a lot in the Robert Peel...in fact a lot of people laughed a lot in there. It was a special place full of great folk.

He said something on Facebook not long ago, he had not been on much as he had not been well.

Just reading this thread again after a pint how fitting to have John's name here on the Latics site talked about by Latics fans. If I should not wake up put my name here as well, in fact all who go deserve a mention before fading into obscurity...keep the faith, up the Tics and God bless John on whatever journey exists. Goodnight and may you open the curtains tomorrow.

Maybe we should open a post for any departed fans we know so they wont be forgotten and people can pay there respects.
Just a thought

Maybe we should open a post for any departed fans we know so they wont be forgotten and people can pay there respects.
Just a thought

It's a lovely thought too...it's the very least we should do. Personally I'm not sure if I died in the night but I managed to open the curtains so I'm guessing not (y)

Just reading this thread again after a pint how fitting to have John's name here on the Latics site talked about by Latics fans. If I should not wake up put my name here as well, in fact all who go deserve a mention before fading into obscurity...keep the faith, up the Tics and God bless John on whatever journey exists. Goodnight and may you open the curtains tomorrow.

This I think is the wonder of the interweb.
We all have the same opportunity to reach people regardless of distance, to write our memories, to link with people from our past or our present.
Available to all, without need of commitment from the writer or the reader.
John's musings on his life, latics, family and japes whilst growing up are preserved for others, what a legacy.

On a related theme, I saw in the Post a week or so ago about the passing of a Latics fan called Tony Ward who was caretaker /site manager at Westfield Primary on Montrose Avenue Norley Hall....I think he lived in Poolstock.

I am just asking if anyone on here knew him at all .....

Way back in the early 70‘s I knocked about with a Tony Ward ....this lad was from the Ormskirk Road/Newtown area below the Carnegie Library .....I also went to the Park Inn and then the Crofters with him in Wigan one nervous Saturday evening in 1973 for my first underage pint ! (I was 15 Tony was actually a bit younger!)

I haven’t seen or heard of him since 74/75 .....and was wondering if they were one and the same? .....I have tracked down a couple of photos of the lad who has passed away on social media but don’t recognise him ....but 45 years on ....maybe it’s no surprise that I wouldn’t !

Would appreciate any background info on the lad who passed away a couple of weeks ago if possible.

As per Zakky's suggestion and with the approval of original thread creator LMB I've renamed and "stuck" this thread as somewhere as LMB put it "to report the passing of anyone with any connection, ie ex staff, fans and players."

Well done everybody, a fitting tribute.

This guy was one of the first Goalkeepers I remember well RIP Jack

Everyone associated with Wigan Athletic Football Club are saddened to learn the news of the passing of former goalkeeper, Jack Richardson on 30 May 2021 at the age of 88.

Jack was born in Rock Ferry, Wirral on 24 May 1933. He played 103 games for Southport between 1956 and 1959 before making the move to Springfield Park to Latics. Jack made his Wigan debut on the 19th September 1959 at Springfield Park in an 8-0 Lancashire Combination win over Skelmersdale United.

His last game for Latics was on Thursday, 23 May 1963 in a 1-0 home win over South Liverpool in the Liverpool Non-League Cup final in front of 1,386 fans.

Jack made 202 appearances for Latics, and kept 80 clean sheets, before moving on to New Brighton and then Chorley.

This guy was one of the first Goalkeepers I remember well RIP Jack

Everyone associated with Wigan Athletic Football Club are saddened to learn the news of the passing of former goalkeeper, Jack Richardson on 30 May 2021 at the age of 88.

Jack was born in Rock Ferry, Wirral on 24 May 1933. He played 103 games for Southport between 1956 and 1959 before making the move to Springfield Park to Latics. Jack made his Wigan debut on the 19th September 1959 at Springfield Park in an 8-0 Lancashire Combination win over Skelmersdale United.

His last game for Latics was on Thursday, 23 May 1963 in a 1-0 home win over South Liverpool in the Liverpool Non-League Cup final in front of 1,386 fans.

Jack made 202 appearances for Latics, and kept 80 clean sheets, before moving on to New Brighton and then Chorley.
If my memory serves me well he lived near me on St Andrews Drive in the early sixties.