Thoughts on the future of Chris Hughton | Page 3 | Vital Football

Thoughts on the future of Chris Hughton

These run of games were always going to be difficult. The only one where we've looked out of our depth is Narwich, who are 10pts clear at the top.

I am confident CH will ensure we are in this division next season and our fortunes then will be much better. I also think the football will improve. It won't be tikki takka but functional.

The problem is our owner is as fickle as some fans. Although, I doubt he is not so delusional to think the likes of Howe or Wilder will even pick up the call should NFFC were to call.

He could get away with being fickle at Olympiakos due to the nature of the Greek league; that approach is costing him money over here, a lot of money.

Hughton has more or less done what he was bought in to do and he knows what will need to be done for next season; getting rid now would be fucking lunacy.

As for who would replace him if he goes; Birmingham and Wednesday had very high hopes of attracting a high profile manager; they both had Howe on their wish list; just look at who they ended up with.

I can see what you are saying and there is obviously merit to it. The problem is there are stark differences between Hughton & Farke. At least with Farke you could see what he was trying to do IE play football in the "right" way even in the bad times. Whereas with Hughton I can't see a cohesive plan other than get everyone behind the ball and hope for the best. Added to which his team selections seem a bit odd at times, and his us of substitutes is practically non existent.
I honestly can't see next season being any different, as money is going to be tight for squad rebuilding unless we sell someone for a decent amount, and I can only see Worrall as having significant value, and as we've said before would you trust the current regime to invest any proceeds wisely.
I like to be able to look forward to watching Forest play and compete in games, and always look forward to the next season with optimism, but with CH at the helm I can't see where the next enjoyable performance is going to come from,as I said previously I like the idea of stability, but not stable in the position we are in now.

It took Farke two seasons and a turn over of 60 players to get things sorted at Norwich, and no, they did not always play football the "right way" during that period; and you want to give Hughton 42 games with a squad of players who are not his, bar 4 of them.

It took Clough well over 90 games to bring improvement, and he was a genius.

I think we should hold into him, he has steadied the ship albeit it's pretty dismal to watch. But having said that, with the squad rebuilding due in the summer if Merryknackers is even thinking about giving him 10 games and see how we go he may as well make the change now so the new manager can decide what players he wants.

I still think that CHs first remit was to keep us up and I think he'll do that. If he's able to bring in 2 or 3 decent new players next season (decent meaning better than the poor old things he's had to buy last summer) then we'll be able to see what he's made of.
Until then I'll be supporting him.

Why are we having this conversation again in the middle of what we knew was going to be a vile run?

Literally, the only recent result that was disappointing has been the Luton one, which we should have taken a disappointing point from at least. Everything else has been an expected result if not a great performance.

We are shite against the top teams this season. Last season it was the bottom teams.

We know we are going to lose the next two, but the last 7 are exactly the sort of teams we have been picking up points against most of the season. Why not have this discussion in the middle of that run? Because I suspect a few will feel differently (not all obviously).

I for one can't be arsed with changing manager again when we have a proven successful one for the first time.
Agree with most, what worries me is that the last 7 games are going to be 6 pointers and not 'normal games in the middle of the season. Are we up for it? By being able to get points on a regular basis, against 'not the top teams', in November and in February, doesn't mean we are going to do the same in April.
Sheffield Wednesday almost got something from the Norwich game and got 3 points from Reading. This gives them hope that they will get points against anyone.
If they win their game in hand and beat us they are just 5 points behind us, and here we are talking of a team that everyone was considering already relegated.
Still allot of work to do, and knowing our lot I am scared to shit.

Mental season. Don’t underestimate how hard it is to change things when you have no time on the training pitch. Game every 3 days means old habits are hard to shift. Playoffs next season

What I can't understand are the late substitutions or the lack of such when the team's game isn't going well. Against Norwich at 0-2 the first substitutions were made by CH in 76 minutes, without a change in the game plan, and the next was in 86 !!! Additionally, players almost always received the ball with back to the net.

I don't find any big difference between the style of play in AK, SL and CH - too defensive, too cautious, not thinking about how to win, but rather not to lose. I would like to see more aggression and confidence in the team. The manager should have balls.

We need 3 strikers.

I was working on the assumption that Murray will get one more year and Swann will be included in the squad.

It is a fine balancing act as far as Swann is concerned, do you send him out for another years loan or allow him to be mentored by senior players.

The experience of cameo roles at Championship level might do him more good than slogging his gonads off at Port Vale.

If he goes out on loan we will definitely need two strikers

I was working on the assumption that Murray will get one more year and Swann will be included in the squad.

It is a fine balancing act as far as Swann is concerned, do you send him out for another years loan or allow him to be mentored by senior players.

The experience of cameo roles at Championship level might do him more good than slogging his gonads off at Port Vale.

I think we need 3 regardless of Swann’s progression. We’ve had 3 this year and whilst we’ve been unfortunate that they’ve either been injured or misfiring, it’s felt like a major problem for us and I fear we’d have the same issue if we give one of those 3 spots to an unproven striker.

3 + Swann allows us to alternate and adapt to different games, which has been a major issue this season, but also means there’s enough of a gap for Swann to get a run in the cup or as you say, loan out.

I don’t think we should offer Murray a contract at all, although I suspect we will. I’d give Taylor another year to see if he can perform better in what you’d hope will be a more offensive team next season, but I’d then prioritise a better target man who can get about the pitch more so than Murray and then somebody trickier and pacier to stretch defenses.

Not ever going to happen I know, but a front line of Taylor, Jephcott, Joao with Swann covering would give me a lot more hope going into next season.

I think we need 3 regardless of Swann’s progression. We’ve had 3 this year and whilst we’ve been unfortunate that they’ve either been injured or misfiring, it’s felt like a major problem for us and I fear we’d have the same issue if we give one of those 3 spots to an unproven striker.

3 + Swann allows us to alternate and adapt to different games, which has been a major issue this season, but also means there’s enough of a gap for Swann to get a run in the cup or as you say, loan out.

I don’t think we should offer Murray a contract at all, although I suspect we will. I’d give Taylor another year to see if he can perform better in what you’d hope will be a more offensive team next season, but I’d then prioritise a better target man who can get about the pitch more so than Murray and then somebody trickier and pacier to stretch defenses.

Not ever going to happen I know, but a front line of Taylor, Jephcott, Joao with Swann covering would give me a lot more hope going into next season.

I would not give Taylor another minute never mind another season; that would save him the trouble of falling over every time another player goes near him.

I would like the very opposite to Taylor; a player who can show for the ball, a player who can move and drag defenders out of position and a player who can score.

All of Norwich's fluidity in their play comes from Pukki's movement; he does not give defenders a minutes peace and his movement creates space for other players to run in to.

Of course having a player with Pukki's movement in the side would mean having to get rid of Lolley and Ameobi because they will not run into space at any cost.

Joao is not coming back so you can forget him.

I would not give Taylor another minute never mind another season; that would save him the trouble of falling over every time another player goes near him.

I would like the very opposite to Taylor; a player who can show for the ball, a player who can move and drag defenders out of position and a player who can score.

All of Norwich's fluidity in their play comes from Pukki's movement; he does not give defenders a minutes peace and his movement creates space for other players to run in to.

Of course having a player with Pukki's movement in the side would mean having to get rid of Lolley and Ameobi because they will not run into space at any cost.

I think you do a massive disservice to Cantwell, Aarons, Dowelland Buendia in particular. We don't remotely have the quality on the ball they do, long before it gets anywhere near Pukki

I meant Lucas Joao

Well if that comes true, and we manage to fluke staying in this division then having Murray and Swann as 2 of our 3 or 4 striker options will 100% see us relegated. Not a doubt about that at all

Agree with most, what worries me is that the last 7 games are going to be 6 pointers and not 'normal games in the middle of the season. Are we up for it? By being able to get points on a regular basis, against 'not the top teams', in November and in February, doesn't mean we are going to do the same in April.
Sheffield Wednesday almost got something from the Norwich game and got 3 points from Reading. This gives them hope that they will get points against anyone.
If they win their game in hand and beat us they are just 5 points behind us, and here we are talking of a team that everyone was considering already relegated.
Still allot of work to do, and knowing our lot I am scared to shit.
100%. I truly believe we will be dragged further into this dog fight, and we are not safe by any stretch of the imagination