Thoughts on the future of Chris Hughton | Vital Football

Thoughts on the future of Chris Hughton

Will.NFFC

Vital Football Hero
Nearing the end of the season and we’re still not safe.

I don’t really believe Hughton has improved us in any department from last year. Think we had the 3rd or 5th best defence last year and you could argue he’s kept it that way.

Attacking wise it’s absolutely pathetic and we’ve declined significantly, but then he’s not really had a fair crack at it with transfers.
He seemed to turn a corner before the Derby game but it’s been horrendous again since. (That rings a bell!)

I just don’t know whether I want to watch him manage us next season. Think Calvin used the line ‘I don’t want him to be sacked but I don’t want him to be our manager’. That’s exactly where I am too.

What’s everyone else’s thoughts and would you like him leading us into next season?

I think, given time and opportunity, Hughton is a very astute and effective manager. I can't see anyone else taking the job who would do better under the same conditions.

This season has been a shambles, but I refuse to place too much blame for that onto the manager. The football and results have been appalling since early last year, during a time when the world has been turned upside down. I know other clubs have faced the same challenge, but seemingly they have faced it far better than we have.

I'm happy to get this season over with, have a normal pre-season to recharge, give CH time to tune his squad, train without a heavy fixture schedule and relegation threat, blah blah blah.

It may not matter, nothing may change, but I think there is plenty there to justify giving CH the benefit of the doubt and seeing where he takes us.

I said what i have to say on the Norwich fans views thread because fans of another club are confirming what we have become under him. Next season we know what we will get by and large unless he has a lobotomy which is unlikely. Do we want that after we have spent our transfer kitty?

I'm conflicted. Stability is so important, look at Norwich they retain personnel and style. We do neither. Sacking him just means starting over yet again on both fronts. I'm not convinced we have the money in FFP terms for a rebuild either. I also think he's a pretty smart dude and deserves a chance.

However fuck me his football is boring and it doesn't appear to be particularly effective either.

I'm conflicted. Stability is so important, look at Norwich they retain personnel and style. We do neither. Sacking him just means starting over yet again on both fronts. I'm not convinced we have the money in FFP terms for a rebuild either. I also think he's a pretty smart dude and deserves a chance.

However fuck me his football is boring and it doesn't appear to be particularly effective either.
Thats just the point. In my many years as a fan i saw all the managers that the club employed before hitting the mother load and getting Clough. Most were shit and some were very shit, its just a case of going through a few until the right one comes along in my opinion. The man in charge before " the man in charge" was Alan Brown, steady as a rock but taking us nowhere, should we have stuck with him? In defence of our previous managers i would say that they had suffered some horrendous employers but thats football. This lot seem to have some money which is all i really want to be honest simply because it at least gives us a chance.

Unless he loses the dressing room and it becomes untenable, keep him regardless. We simply have to give an experienced manager the time and resources to rebuild us rather than applying sticky tape and just holding it together and hoping for the best which is what we have done for, what last 10 ,15 years? Our current situation isn’t his fault.
Otherwise the cycle will keep repeating itself,as it has done over the last 10,15 years.

If we stay up I guess we have to give him the summer to see what he does with the squad, I've been incredibly underwhelmed with him says the same things makes the same mistakes. If after 10 or so games we are below mid table and the football as boring as this then I'd get shot, I'd rather be entertained and lose than be bored to tears and lose.

Unless he loses the dressing room and it becomes untenable, keep him regardless. We simply have to give an experienced manager the time and resources to rebuild us rather than applying sticky tape and just holding it together and hoping for the best which is what we have done for, what last 10 ,15 years? Our current situation isn’t his fault.
Otherwise the cycle will keep repeating itself,as it has done over the last 10,15 years.
What if say Chris Wilder is the next Clough?

Stability is clearly desirable, but I really don't think we want to be stable in the position we are now, playing the style of football we are now.
Sadly there has been very little if any improvement under CH's stewardship, and the first half hour of last nights match said it all, we just sat off and let them play and destroy us when it was crying out for a more up & at em attitude to get in amongst them and disrupt their admittedly excellent style of play.
Unfortunately we have a manger who doesn't seem to have it him to instigate that style of play. We obviously can't afford to go gung ho but we must be more pro active and energetic and try to press teams into mistakes It does appear that our players aren't as good as those in other teams or at least they are not able to show it if they are, and we have to make up that shortfall in effort, energy, commitment etc. like Barnsley, Rotherham.
I always look forward to a new season with optimism but I really don't feel I can with CH in charge as I don't see any chance of change of style, even if e have a change of playing personnel

What if say Chris Wilder is the next Clough?
Firstly why would he come here ? Especially if we are in league one.
secondly say he comes and doesn’t immediately bring success then what? swap him for the next current ‘Clough’ .
At some point you have to have faith in your appointments and stick to your plan rather than keep chopping and changing for the flavour of the season.
We have a good manager, one most of us thought we didn’t have a chance of appointing when we did.
It may not succeed but I think it’s the best chance we’ve got.

Firstly why would he come here ? Especially if we are in league one.
secondly say he comes and doesn’t immediately bring success then what? swap him for the next current ‘Clough’ .
At some point you have to have faith in your appointments and stick to your plan rather than keep chopping and changing for the flavour of the season.
We have a good manager, one most of us thought we didn’t have a chance of appointing when we did.
It may not succeed but I think it’s the best chance we’ve got.
I think its more important to act when it looks like you have got it wrong.

So you want to watch " live" football of the type endured from the sofa this year?
Not really but looking at his record in this division with other clubs I think we will see something very different if he is given the right tools.

I am fed up of keep chopping and changing at the drop of a hat and I am also wondering just who we could realistically employ to replace him that would be better.

Howe and Wilder have both only really done anything with one club and it’s highly debatable whether either would come to Forest.

The football is a bit uninspiring and overly defensive but you could have said that about the last guy (forget his name now) and it seems like an upgraded version of the same.
But it's not his squad yet is it? And CH has done it before, knows how to set up a team and, for me, is a pretty tactically astute chap.

I think if you genuinely want promotion you should:

1) Appoint a manager with a proven track record in achieving the stated aim. (check)
2) Back them financially to build their own squad.( )
3) Give them enough time to work with that squad and achieve the stated goal ( )

I can put up with a couple of years of meh if it results in seeing us back in the prem (we have had to endure 20 years of meh already)

Why are we having this conversation again in the middle of what we knew was going to be a vile run?

Literally, the only recent result that was disappointing has been the Luton one, which we should have taken a disappointing point from at least. Everything else has been an expected result if not a great performance.

We are shite against the top teams this season. Last season it was the bottom teams.

We know we are going to lose the next two, but the last 7 are exactly the sort of teams we have been picking up points against most of the season. Why not have this discussion in the middle of that run? Because I suspect a few will feel differently (not all obviously).

I for one can't be arsed with changing manager again when we have a proven successful one for the first time.

Last edited:
Why are we having this conversation again in the middle of what we knew was going to be a vile run?

Literally, the result that was disappointing has been the Luton one, which we should have taken a disappointing point at least. Everything else has been an expected result if not a great performance.

We are shite against the top teams this season. Last season it was the bottom teams.

We know we are going to lose the next two, but the last 7 are exactly the sort of teams we have been picking up points against most of the season. Why not have this discussion in the middle of that run? Because I suspect a few will feel differently (not all obviously).

I for one can't be arsed with changing manager again when we have a proven successful one for the first time.

It’s a totally relevant conversation to have. We’re approaching the summer where big changes happen for all football clubs and there’s been a lot of talk of Hughton amongst match day threads about how we have/haven’t progressed.

Regardless of runs we’ve been on throughout the season, we’ve certainly had a flavor of what he’s about - are people approaching the summer with optimism or dismay?