This is the Rochdale thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

This is the Rochdale thread

From a defensive point of view the first goal was avoidable. The first goal is a typical Jackson type goal, the player comes inside and Jackson follows the ball without being aware of what's going on around him. The ball then goes back into an area where Jackson should be as RB but he's not because he's now in an area where he can have no affect either by putting pressure on the ball or by defending the space in the RB position , Graham doesn't track the runner and bingo, goal.

One of the things I will never understand about football is where a player has such an obvious flaw but never sorts it out.

Ryan Jackson is now 30 so will have had numerous managers and coaches.

What you see is the same is what I have always seen. He should have an awareness of where the ball is, but his main attention should be on where the opposition players near him are. Instead he ball watches or, like in the case of the second goal, is in a space picking up the invisible man rather than close enough to get a block in.

You can see straight after the first goal how Graham, although hardly faultless himself, yells at Jackson. It is not difficult to work out why.

So why can not Evans, Raynor, or all his previous coaches, see something so basic and get him to tighten up his defensive instincts?

From a defensive point of view the first goal was avoidable. The first goal is a typical Jackson type goal, the player comes inside and Jackson follows the ball without being aware of what's going on around him. The ball then goes back into an area where Jackson should be as RB but he's not because he's now in an area where he can have no affect either by putting pressure on the ball or by defending the space in the RB position , Graham doesn't track the runner and bingo, goal.

Not being harsh on Jackson, its what he did the last time he was here and is still doing, he ball watches far to much. Both the goals Rochdale scored yesterday came down our right, as did the early chance that Bonham tipped onto the bar.

I played RB to a fairly decent level and positionally Jackson is far to often out if position but he's a cheap option.
Have to agree. Tbh I think Jackson has been consistently poor this season. Not the only one of course but easily amongst the worst. I saw one good cross from him v Burton and one good tackle yesterday. That's it. I'm almost fit to burst with frustration when he comes down the right wing and then f#### about with tippy tappy stuff. If he was effective comong forward I could forgive some of his defensive frailties.

Obviously there are several others underperforming. I've given up predicting Ogilvie to score. Just as well yesterday (although his header wasn't terrible, it was at least on target).

Is it me or is the football generally of a lower standard by us this year?

Ps. Very pleased with Dempsey.

I think that must be a typo Mark.
You realise we are mid-table, 7pts from playoffs and 8pts from the relegation spots?

I don't expect us to go down but we aren't too good not to get caught up in it. Stopping teams below you from getting 3 points over you goes a long way to keeping you clear of it all.

I remember a particularly awful performance against Vale a few years back. Parker got a last gasp equaliser (I'd long since left), turned out to be priceless as we stayed up and Vale went down by a point or GD.

I expect us to bounce around midtable but happy to see that Dale did not gain ground on us.

I’m not sure any of our squad have covered themselves in glory so far this season. IMHO only Dempsey, Graham and Oliver have consistently hit the performance levels required. All summer signings (although Graham did come on loan last year).

I don’t think Jackson is miles worse than other right backs we’ve had over the years either, he is just another lower league footballer, prone to mistakes/lack of concentration/wrong decision making. They all do it. I also don’t get the OTT fascination with Barry Fuller. He Made a couple hundred appearances for us over two spells and did ok. However since we said goodbye he has dropped into non league and Wikipedia says he has featured once for Dorking (updated in October). Now whether that is due to form, injury or whatever it still suggests getting rid was the correct decision. Whether Ryan Jackson was the correct replacement is a separate question.

Btw just to add I didn’t watch yesterday, that’s obviously why we avoided defeat. But I WILL be watching the Crewe game. I’m afraid I enjoy watching Tuesday evenings too much to miss it. Apologies now.

I really don't think there is a lot of difference in quality between the average L1, L2 and non league player.

Sticking with Jackson I am sure that there are RBs in non league who are as good as him. My hunch is he established a league career based on being more of an athlete than a skilled footballer.

There are exceptions in league one. Jordan Graham is clearly a class above in his position.

I think you could find Akindes and McDonalds in non league maybe they've just not been lucky enough to be "found".

Overall I agree the "quality" of football is reducing in league one in favour of athletes who can run and throw it a long way.

I really don't think there is a lot of difference in quality between the average L1, L2 and non league player.

Sticking with Jackson I am sure that there are RBs in non league who are as good as him. My hunch is he established a league career based on being more of an athlete than a skilled footballer.

There are exceptions in league one. Jordan Graham is clearly a class above in his position.

I think you could find Akindes and McDonalds in non league maybe they've just not been lucky enough to be "found".

Overall I agree the "quality" of football is reducing in league one in favour of athletes who can run and throw it a long way.

I would imagine you’re first sentence is on the money Mark. For a non league player a good showing in a featured cup game, impressive goal scoring record, or a string of 10 eye catching performances in front of lower league scouts can probably get a move into the league. Then it’s all about hard work and taking your chance if/when it’s offered.

I’ve also thought for a few years now that being a good athlete is preferable to natural talent in the game these days. We all want entertaining, but if entertainment is a hard fought, all energy 1-0, in off someone’s arse in the last minute, then we all go home happy.

Interesting point from somebody earlier in the thread about RJ having an obvious flaw but never getting it addressed properly. I wonder if Hanlan is going the same way. Again, great athlete, quick, strong, but fucking woeful when in front of goal and expected to score (arguably his main job).

Btw just to add I didn’t watch yesterday, that’s obviously why we avoided defeat. But I WILL be watching the Crewe game. I’m afraid I enjoy watching Tuesday evenings too much to miss it. Apologies now.
I must admit, I did wonder why we equalised. Now I know.

No offence but I'm hoping your computer develops a temporary fault on Tuesday evening.

Rochdale MB described our commentators as knowledgeable and us on here as fair and correct in our views of them. What fine and discerning people. Just as scarred and humbled by long suffering as us.

But they were watching the action on iFollow, so at least knew what was going on!

I must admit, I did wonder why we equalised. Now I know.

No offence but I'm hoping your computer develops a temporary fault on Tuesday evening.

Thanks for your kind words 58.
But With 3 laptops, 4 iPads, 3 smart phones and 2 smart TVs in the house I’m not sure a computer fault will have any effect.

A temporary internet blackout around Herne Bay may do though. You’re better off hoping for that. Or do you have any suggestions to better spend 2 hrs on a Tuesday evening? Keep them clean though, I’ve been married 14 years.

But With 3 laptops, 4 iPads, 3 smart phones and 2 smart TVs in the house I’m not sure a computer fault will have any effect.

A temporary internet blackout around Herne Bay may do though. You’re better off hoping for that. Or do you have any suggestions to better spend 2 hrs on a Tuesday evening? Keep them clean though, I’ve been married 14 years.

Rob you want a couple of jigsaws 👍

Something that has not helped fan perception of Jacko`s game is that he`s recently been failing to deliver enough long throw-ins. That could, of course, be on instruction from SE. But if it isn`t,then it`s been frustrating to see potential for a header on goal instantly dissolve into a pass back to our goalie because Jacko has thrown it short.

I’m afraid I enjoy watching Tuesday evenings too much to miss it. Apologies now.

Aaah...now we understand why we went two or three seasons without recording a Tuesday night win until breaking that hoodoo recently. :yes:

Now you just have to self isolate somewhere when we are on telly - starting with the Lincoln game.

Putting things in perspective, Rochdale did score 5 away to Wigan and 4 away to the Spotters recently so maybe our defence is not the worst?

I think being locked in a public toilet for 2 hours would be better than watching some of our games. I'm hoping for the blackout for all our sakes.