Third Round Draw ? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Third Round Draw ?

I think to get a full house for the third round at Priestfield. We need mild dry weather and no live TV coverage. Historically it takes a lot to get the people of the Medway Towns watch the Gills. When they can stay at home and watch one of the all prem ties.

Just watched yesterday's Burnley v Sheff Utd, didn't see anything to worry us, and we will play a much changed side as well.

After losing at Maidstone yesterday, Barrow announced today that they wish to refund ticket costs to their 220 traveling fans.

The club added: "Once again we’re sorry we couldn’t give you the result you deserved, see you back at Holker Street next week for another big game."

Somehow feel that, early doors, those of us on the terraces next week will be obliged to remind Barrow of their loss down in Maidstone........

I find it ridiculous that clubs feel the need to offer these refunds. Especially a club in Barrow’s position who are generally playing well, punching above their weight, in good form in L2, and simply lost 2-1 away in a tricky cup game. That’s football.

Why should fans get a refund under those circumstances? Should every loss or poor performance equate to a refund? How about if a team gets thumped fans get a refund, but if they win well then fans pay double. Fair?

<edit- just realised gills would be bankrupt over the last 3 seasons under them rules 😁>

Was possibly a good PR exercise tho. A lot of Barrow fans piped up to decline the refund and ask it be paid to charity.

Got to say that's a great winnable draw for the Gills.

I wonder how many plastics and glory hunters will be trying to get tickets?

I can think of many occasions - just in cup competitions, if I included league I'd be here til Christmas - where I've come away thinking I've been ripped off but never once thought to demand a refund for it.

Burscough
Brackley
Brackley x 2
Accrington
Carlisle

That's just FA Cup, I'm sure we've had some crackers in the League Cup as well.

Got to say that's a great winnable draw for the Gills.

I wonder how many plastics and glory hunters will be trying to get tickets?
I'll be trying to! Like I said in an early post though, if I don't get a ticket then I won't moan about it, I don't go regularly enough these days. Only chance I'll have of getting to this one is if it's shifted from the Saturday as I'll probably have another game scheduled.

I’d be surprised if it sells out myself as Sheff Utd don’t have that many well known players, and the one of most interest to Gills fans; John Egan, is injured and won’t be back by then. I guess it depends on how many fans they bring down / how many tickets we give them etc, we saw yesterday the top tier of the BMS is still not being used so hasn’t had the safety upgrades needed yet.
I would guess a crowd of around 8k but we shall see.

I can think of many occasions - just in cup competitions, if I included league I'd be here til Christmas - where I've come away thinking I've been ripped off but never once thought to demand a refund for it.

Burscough
Brackley
Brackley x 2
Accrington
Carlisle

That's just FA Cup, I'm sure we've had some crackers in the League Cup as well.

Did all of those except Carlisle. Accrington made me more angry than I ever have been with a Gills side when they did 9/10ths of fuck all for 90 minutes, then sloped off the pitch without a single one coming over to acknowledge the away fans at the final whistle. On a freezing Tuesday night in January. Bastards.

Watching Wrexham v Yeovil on ITVX how many times is the commentator going to apologize for the bad language being picked up, for fuck's sake!!

Would imagine Sheffield United would be deperate for a decent cup run. They are adrift in the Premier League and still have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Aston Villa and Man City in the 6 games before they come to Priestfield.

Did all of those except Carlisle. Accrington made me more angry than I ever have been with a Gills side when they did 9/10ths of fuck all for 90 minutes, then sloped off the pitch without a single one coming over to acknowledge the away fans at the final whistle. On a freezing Tuesday night in January. Bastards.
I would agree, it was just totally gutless. I remember being shunted into the stand down the side which was genuinely little more than a bus shelter with 2 rows of seating - not that you could actually sit down if you were the proud owner of a pair of knees.

Worst thing was a lot of those there had made a fair trip on the date of the original tie, only to have it called off as we were halfway up the country so it was a second trip in that direction in not long at all. I think we had Hartlepool the following midweek as well, 78 of us for that one halfway through the long winless run of away games! Certainly a testing time for the away support.

A slightly different perspective is that playing in the FACR3 will provide GFC with a little extra pause-time to make two or three January signings and get them on the training pitch. The home game with Stockport (scheduled for Jan 6th) will now require deferring to a later date - all good.
Lancs, the same goes for Sheffield United I believe. A couple of good signings might fire them up. Sorry to put a dampener on it!

I find it ridiculous that clubs feel the need to offer these refunds. Especially a club in Barrow’s position who are generally playing well, punching above their weight, in good form in L2, and simply lost 2-1 away in a tricky cup game. That’s football.

Why should fans get a refund under those circumstances? Should every loss or poor performance equate to a refund? How about if a team gets thumped fans get a refund, but if they win well then fans pay double. Fair?

<edit- just realised gills would be bankrupt over the last 3 seasons under them rules 😁>

Was possibly a good PR exercise tho. A lot of Barrow fans piped up to decline the refund and ask it be paid to charity.
I see where you`re coming from OSK. But, I suppose when you take into consideration that Barrow has a small fan base and also that the fans would have travelled further than the team - it was a smart PR gesture.

As you say, we`ve been in that particular boat before.

I'll be trying to! Like I said in an early post though, if I don't get a ticket then I won't moan about it, I don't go regularly enough these days. Only chance I'll have of getting to this one is if it's shifted from the Saturday as I'll probably have another game scheduled.
Surely Hess could oblige you ?

Surely Hess could oblige you ?
I wouldn't dream of asking Hess for a ticket to a game to be honest, that's not the reason I got into scouting just to get freebies. I wouldn't claim to know him well but each time I've spoken with him he's been absolutely superb with me, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did help me out if I were to ask though!

I wouldn't dream of asking Hess for a ticket to a game to be honest, that's not the reason I got into scouting just to get freebies. I wouldn't claim to know him well but each time I've spoken with him he's been absolutely superb with me, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did help me out if I were to ask though!
Yep, wasn`t suggesting that`s the reason for your scouting trips - but you are clearly a loyal GFC fan (Carlisle away etc). Shouldn`t have to ask - understand that. Hope you get a tkt.