Thelo ... | Vital Football

Thelo ...

He signed a new deal about a year ago when we were still in admin so he would've only been on a low wage.

So I imagine the new deal puts him more in line with some of the other first teamers.

I always like to see the club being proactive on contracts to avoid some of the situations we had in the past where the club ended up losing good players due to us being short sighted tight bastards and not getting new deals sorted in a timely manner.

Made up with that news, cracking player Thelo, neat and tidy with great feet and an eye for goal.

Well done WAFC.

Fantastic news this about Thelo.The lad looks a real talent with exciting potential to improve a lot more too.

I thought he played well when he came on last night in the more deeper midfield role than his perhaps favoured number 10 position.But he's shown his versatility already in his short tics 1st team career, by playing in a few different positions,including out wide too.

He was always showing for and wanting the ball last night in the horrendous weather conditions and looking to travel or pass positively with it.He showed with the collision on the edge of our box that he can cope physically as well and again will only get stronger.

When we were crying out for that bit of quality in the final third to break down a well organised and determined defence,he provided it with an outstanding finish to seal an important 3 points.

What also encouraged me with his goal was that just beforehand for the 1st time in the game he made a loose pass which went out for a throw.But he didn't let that effect him.As moments later he was fearless and had the confidence to take responsibility by driving forward with the ball into space and unleashing a sublime strike when it would've been easier to shy away from it and perhaps use the 'safe' option and let someone else take that responsibility.

Absolutely delighted.
He had already signed a 4 years deal WHILST WE WERE IN ADMIM! At a time when everyone else couldn’t wait to leave.
So, it’s really good for us to be able to repay that faith in him. With a better contract and another long term deal. Delighted for our club, and delighted for him.

Let’s hope we are as proactive as this with our other youths. I don’t want to see a repeat of us seeing contracts running out. (Kyle Joseph)

Obviously I'm as delighted as the rest of you with this news.

Hampton (and others) I'll be interested to see your views IF (and I hope he doesn't obviously) Thelo suffers a string of injuries that keep him out for extended spells across multiple seasons and these have an impact on his physical abilities when he does manage to play. Will you be calling him a leach on the club if he see's his contract out and will you be lambasting the useless club officials who put this deal together in the first place ?
I guess time will tell and to be honest, I hope we never find out.

I always like to see the club being proactive on contracts to avoid some of the situations we had in the past where the club ended up losing good players due to us being short sighted tight bastards and not getting new deals sorted in a timely manner.

That's a dangerous road to go down by accusing the club of being tight b'tards & not sorting contracts in a timely manner in the past.
Not only is it very often players refusing contract offers coz their agents have told them of the better deals that they'll get elsewhere, but if a club continues to go beyond it's budget & valuations of players just to get them to sign, for player after player who they'd rather keep hold of then it's only going to lead one way eventually & it ain't pleasant

Let’s hope we are as proactive as this with our other youths. I don’t want to see a repeat of us seeing contracts running out. (Kyle Joseph)

Kyle Joseph had been offered deals & he kept turning them down. The club didn't deliberately not offer him anything so he could run down his contract & leave for a negligible amount
Not a great deal that the club can do under those circumstances than just agree to whatever the players want & risk running up big financial losses

That's a dangerous road to go down by accusing the club of being tight b'tards & not sorting contracts in a timely manner in the past.
Not only is it very often players refusing contract offers coz their agents have told them of the better deals that they'll get elsewhere, but if a club continues to go beyond it's budget & valuations of players just to get them to sign, for player after player who they'd rather keep hold of then it's only going to lead one way eventually & it ain't pleasant

Numerous former players have said they were promised new contracts if they achieved promotion, survived, did well etc and the club hierachy at the time didn't follow through and they ended up falling out and leaving. Off the top of my head Ellington, Roberts and Chimbonda. I also remember us not engaging in contract negotiations with key players until their deal was due to expire in a matter of weeks (Diame, Scharner, Rodellega, DiSanto, etc) we know it likely wasn't just those players privately rejecting deals as all contract renewals only happened at the end of the season. I also remember Moses and Heskey publicly stating they wanted to stay and sign new deals before they headed into the final year but neither happened so when offers came in from bigger clubs we were not in a strong position to hold out for a bigger fee due to them being in their final year.

We probably cost ourselves millions by trying to put off renewals to save thousands back in the 2010s. But thankfully we've not been like that for a good while.

KDZ by your own admission you've had to go back over a decade to find examples, which maybe suggests your initial criticism was a bit unfounded. But as stated, if a player gets his head turned, either by another club or a greedy agent we, along with most other clubs are powerless. The power is with the player these days.

Stewart Barlow was a classic one before the play off final Whelan wouldn’t give him a new contract

That wasn't what happened - Barlow went to the club mid-season & said that he wanted an improved contract to basically start as soon as possible.
The club said no, not mid-season & so he put in a transfer request. When he did that the manager dropped him & that was for (if my memory serves me right) a Boxing Day away game at Blackpool in the season we reached the play off final.
And that was Stuart Barlow's version of events coz I listened to an interview he gave after the game - I also spoke with him after a charity game I played against him in several years later & when he found out I was a Latics fan he made a comment along the lines of "I'd better keep away from you then coz you've probably got it in for me after the way I acted in my last 6 months there" so whilst Whelan was too much of a "you signed that contract & you won't get it changed" even Barlow has accepted he could have handled himself better

Numerous former players have said they were promised new contracts if they achieved promotion, survived, did well etc and the club hierachy at the time didn't follow through and they ended up falling out and leaving. Off the top of my head Ellington, Roberts and Chimbonda. I also remember us not engaging in contract negotiations with key players until their deal was due to expire in a matter of weeks (Diame, Scharner, Rodellega, DiSanto, etc) we know it likely wasn't just those players privately rejecting deals as all contract renewals only happened at the end of the season. I also remember Moses and Heskey publicly stating they wanted to stay and sign new deals before they headed into the final year but neither happened so when offers came in from bigger clubs we were not in a strong position to hold out for a bigger fee due to them being in their final year.

We probably cost ourselves millions by trying to put off renewals to save thousands back in the 2010s. But thankfully we've not been like that for a good while.

We've got completely different recollection of events then on numerous players:
Ellington - said when he left that the contract he got offered at Latics was actually worth more than the one he signed at WBA. Latics one was loaded with bonuses based on goals, appearances & finishing league positions etc.. whilst the WBA one was a bigger basic, guaranteed salary. With latics tipped by many to head straight back down it made perfect sense not to guarantee any player a large basic salary if the Prem money was only going to last 1 season. Judging on how he performed after leaving I'd say Latics did the right thing. It's only very recently on twitter that he's hinted he'd been promised something or a couple of years that they hadn't delivered on which made him want to leave
Chimbonda - from what I remember at the time he said that his agent told him loads of clubs wanted him & were offering him big money & as he wasn't going to see anyone for 5-6 weeks, he thought he needed to hand a transfer request in straight after the game so he didn't miss out on these. I've never heard or read him saying he only wanted to leave coz he was promised a better Latics deal & it was never delivered
Roberts - I do think went to the club at the end of that 1st top flight season to negotiate a new deal & Whelan said no coz you only signed that one 12 months ago. Baffled me at the time even though I get the rationale behind hit but I've no doubt that his replacement (Heskey) probably cost the club far more so I'm not sure I'd describe it as penny pinching
Heskey - I remember him saying in that season he left half way through that he would not be signing a new deal at Latics regardless of what was put on the table. Lets not forget he'd got back in to the England set up & was being lavished with praise after years of getting stick & he wanted to move back up the ladder it was nothing to do with not being offered a new deal earlier
Moses - never said anything of the sort about wanting to stay if he'd been offered a deal before the final year of his contract. He never even made it to the final year of his contract. In April 2012 (when he still had about 15 months left on his deal) his agent announced that he'd pulled out of contract talks that were due to start with Latics because he wanted to leave that summer
Diame - was offered a deal during the season but said he wanted to go coz he hadn't played as much as he'd liked & only ever saw Latics as a stepping stone
Scharner - again was offered deals but turned them down coz he wanted to play in midfield
Rodallega - was offered new deals but turned them down as he wanted to move to a "bigger" club. It was known well before the season ended that he was going.
Di Santo - his agent was dropping stories from as early as October 2012 that he was ready to turn down his contract offer from Latics coz he knew he'd earn more as a free agent in the summer

Lets not also forget that in the era of these players Latics were more often than not fighting relegation so players were reluctant to accept offers from us when they thought that we may not be playing top flight football the following season.
Latics did not & have never, left negotiating new contracts with players to within weeks of them due to expire - they may still be negotiating with them at that time but that isn't always the fault of the club

Obviously I'm as delighted as the rest of you with this news.

Hampton (and others) I'll be interested to see your views IF (and I hope he doesn't obviously) Thelo suffers a string of injuries that keep him out for extended spells across multiple seasons and these have an impact on his physical abilities when he does manage to play. Will you be calling him a leach on the club if he see's his contract out and will you be lambasting the useless club officials who put this deal together in the first place ?
I guess time will tell and to be honest, I hope we never find out.

I take it you're alluding to Massey in that comment? Thelo is head and shoulders above Massey even at the young age of 19, Aasgaard deserves the contract given to him Massey didn't, Cook and his cronies must have been pissed up when they offered him the four year contract!

That wasn't what happened - Barlow went to the club mid-season & said that he wanted an improved contract to basically start as soon as possible.
The club said no, not mid-season & so he put in a transfer request. When he did that the manager dropped him & that was for (if my memory serves me right) a Boxing Day away game at Blackpool in the season we reached the play off final.
And that was Stuart Barlow's version of events coz I listened to an interview he gave after the game - I also spoke with him after a charity game I played against him in several years later & when he found out I was a Latics fan he made a comment along the lines of "I'd better keep away from you then coz you've probably got it in for me after the way I acted in my last 6 months there" so whilst Whelan was too much of a "you signed that contract & you won't get it changed" even Barlow has accepted he could have handled himself better

Thanks for the info Bongsmon.

Aasgaard is an excellent young player with unlimited potential. One thing that already stands out is his ability to change the tempo of the game everytime he touches the ball. Whether he bursts forward, or plays the ball into space making a safe player advance up the field.

Most players wait until their final season to accept terms because that is when the most money is offered, real loyalty from him to sign long term, long before he needed too.