The Working Class v The Posh | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Working Class v The Posh

They had a few shots before half time but most of them were speculative from quite far out as we restricted them well from creating many clear cut chances.
:shake::wagging:

Extracts from the Latics official twitter account:
https://twitter.com/LaticsOfficial
39' Charlie Hughes with a vital header to stop Kwame Poku's goal-bound effort from reaching Sam Tickle in the Latics goal!(1-0)

41' Peterborough United are currently enjoying their best spell of the game, with Latics having to defend in numbers here...

Ephron Mason-Clark and David Ajiboye have both seen low strikes saved by Sam Tickle in the last few minutes. 🧤

45’ A Charlie Hughes clearance falls to Hector Kyprianou who fires wide from the edge of the box.

You are right that Smith did try to come accross to help and the cross probably wasn't probably directed to the man who got it. But when you watch the goal back it started with their winger getting Jones one on one and Jones just didn't look defensively comfortable.

I like Jones a lot, but if you're under pressure from a good side he's not strong enough defensively to play wing back.
Yeah he got him one on one but come on that happens to full backs (good or bad) countless times every match. He didn't beat him, Jones didn't make an error, he held him up well until we had a two on one and he wasn't at fault. To say he "didn't look defensively comfortable" is clutching at straws really.

If he'd been roasted by their winger a couple of times or been out of position or allowed him too much space I'd agree with you but I didn't see any of that. He coped well without making any errors

:shake::wagging:

Extracts from the Latics official twitter account:
https://twitter.com/LaticsOfficial
39' Charlie Hughes with a vital header to stop Kwame Poku's goal-bound effort from reaching Sam Tickle in the Latics goal!(1-0)

41' Peterborough United are currently enjoying their best spell of the game, with Latics having to defend in numbers here...

Ephron Mason-Clark and David Ajiboye have both seen low strikes saved by Sam Tickle in the last few minutes. 🧤

45’ A Charlie Hughes clearance falls to Hector Kyprianou who fires wide from the edge of the box.

All of those clips are on the website now, I've watched them back and maintain that we restricted them to speculative shots mostly from outside the box.

Only 1 of those, the 25 yard shot from their centre backs was any real threat that Tickle dealt with well.

Discussions about games is fine. But attempting to criticise the manager about his decisions by fans is way over the top in this case. I usually like reading your post KDZ but think you are getting carried away with this. Anyone would think you are better than a professional former player and now manager. He will never be perfect with what he does , but certainly in my eyes has done well so far and I have faith he will continue to do so and will ensure we have a good season

Have you ever been a football manager at any level or do you just think you should be but never got round to taking on the responsibility

Managers select teams and make substitutions for many reasons which could include:

To combat opponents strengths or weaknesses; fatigue (this is recognised as being a major contributor to injury); changing "shape"; to prevent someone being sent off; resting players; disciplinary reasons or simply because a player is having an off day.

We are not in a position to know when energy levels start to fall (I believe they are monitored in real time these days) or what the manager is thinking or knows. We must accept therefore that he knows better than we do and that our opinions are just opinions.

If Shaun makes too many mistakes, he will LOSE his Job.

In recent games Shaun is getting more things right
as results show, as long as this continues, i think the fans will be happy with his management of the team.

On the contrary Maloney has made substitutions for the sake of it a few times this season and made a right pigs ear of it, it started during the Cambridge game if you remember? Yes we won the game but got pasted last 20 minutes or so and were lucky to win, the team was disjointed and players out of position, did he learn from that? No he did the same the next game and the next few games.

Thats why people on here and social media were kicking off, we all can't be wrong.
I don't think Shaun (or any of the management team) make substitutions for the sake of it)! They are privy to far more data from the monitors that all the players wear in the game. This tells the staff who is tiring far better than our eyes do, and so I'm sure there are valid reasons for the substitutions made! I think in today's data-driven approach, we can safely assume that substitutions are not amde "for the sake of it"!

I don't think Shaun (or any of the management team) make substitutions for the sake of it)! They are privy to far more data from the monitors that all the players wear in the game. This tells the staff who is tiring far better than our eyes do, and so I'm sure there are valid reasons for the substitutions made! I think in today's data-driven approach, we can safely assume that substitutions are not amde "for the sake of it"!
Here we go again with the excuses, modern day footballers are trained to play 100 minutes of football, I'm not having this "players tiring" nonsense, half the time players trudge off mesmerised why they are being taken off even the fans can't get their heads around the substitutions.

Fair enough if a player has felt a twinge or taken a knock then yes get a sub on, Maloney takes off our main threat(s) that are having a good game for no apparent reason, he gambled the other night and it paid off but who is to say we wouldn't have won the game against Posh without the substitutions?

If a fit and healthy player can't play a full game of football then he shouldn't be playing!

Here we go again with the excuses, modern day footballers are trained to play 100 minutes of football, I'm not having this "players tiring" nonsense, half the time players trudge off mesmerised why they are being taken off even the fans can't get their heads around the substitutions.

Fair enough if a player has felt a twinge or taken a knock then yes get a sub on, Maloney takes off our main threat(s) that are having a good game for no apparent reason, he gambled the other night and it paid off but who is to say we wouldn't have won the game against Posh without the substitutions?

If a fit and healthy player can't play a full game of football then he shouldn't be playing!
I don't agree with everything you say, but you are bang on with this FB.