The Video Games Thread | Vital Football

The Video Games Thread

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
There's been a few mentions of games here and there, so thought I'd start a thread for anything game related, i.e what you're playing, all time favourites etc.

I'm currently playing Dark Souls, I started it a few years ago and even though I loved the world and the gameplay, I found it too punishingly hard and stopped playing early into the game because it just wasn't fun.

I got back into it around 6 months ago, and haven't stopped since, it's a phenomenal game, one of the best ever made.

I’ve always been somewhat of a Nintendo fan, Mario 64 was groundbreaking. Goldeneye and perfect dark were sublime. Metroid prime on the GameCube took a lot of my hours away. Mario kart was always a giggle with my mates before online gaming really took off. Resident Evil 4 was as good as anything I have played. I remember when pro evolution soccer was better than FIFA. Stopped playing games years ago which is a bit of a surprise as I took up so much of my youth. Best feeling ever from a video game, beating M bison at the end of street fighter 2 having literally months of losing to him

Never really been into gaming, but both boys have an Xbox One so have dabbled a bit over the past few years.

FIFA is way too complicated for my tiny brain, regularly get hammered by Jr 1 when we play. They are both well into Fortnite (just don't get the fascination myself).

I do like a bit of Forza Horizon though.

First games I played were on an Amstrad in the late 80's, there was floppy discs and cassettes. We had Golden Axe on cassette, it took half an hour to load the game. Still one of my favourite games, it think it may have peaked my interest in fantasy type stuff.

I kind of hopped between PC gaming and consoles back then and still do. We had the SNES with all the classics, and the same time had a PC where I got into games like Doom, Heretic, Rise of The Triad etc. Great memories.

Then the N64 and Goldeneye. Best Christmas ever. I think everyone I know had it.

Mostly after that it was PC gaming, the Elder Scrolls series being my favourite, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, but I got a PS3 eventually and I still use that today, going through Dark Souls and loads of other games I can pick up for cheap.

I'll upgrade my PC soon, and probably pick up the next console when it comes out when I start making proper money again. I really want a cool VR set too, playing some of the stuff on my friends PS4 VR was insane, especially the Batman game.

I'm a PC gamer, so can't always get games like RDR2.

Just finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey. One word. Awesome. Far Cry 5 was by the same developer and that was brilliant as well.

Loved Skyrim and still go back to it sometimes. The Total War games are great, and Civ VI still gets a go every now and then.

First games I played were on an Amstrad in the late 80's, there was floppy discs and cassettes. We had Golden Axe on cassette, it took half an hour to load the game. Still one of my favourite games, it think it may have peaked my interest in fantasy type stuff.

I kind of hopped between PC gaming and consoles back then and still do. We had the SNES with all the classics, and the same time had a PC where I got into games like Doom, Heretic, Rise of The Triad etc. Great memories.

Then the N64 and Goldeneye. Best Christmas ever. I think everyone I know had it.

Mostly after that it was PC gaming, the Elder Scrolls series being my favourite, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, but I got a PS3 eventually and I still use that today, going through Dark Souls and loads of other games I can pick up for cheap.

I'll upgrade my PC soon, and probably pick up the next console when it comes out when I start making proper money again. I really want a cool VR set too, playing some of the stuff on my friends PS4 VR was insane, especially the Batman game.

Do you know about sites like CD Keys? You can pick up games very cheap, depending on what you want. Just watch it's Steam/PS/Origins etc. I had to install the latter to play Assassin's Creed and Far Cry. The codes were so much cheaper than getting them through Steam.

Do you know about sites like CD Keys? You can pick up games very cheap, depending on what you want. Just watch it's Steam/PS/Origins etc. I had to install the latter to play Assassin's Creed and Far Cry. The codes were so much cheaper than getting them through Steam.

I didn't know about that one, no. I still think I have an Origin account from a few years ago, I bought Battlefield 3 on it, bloody 20gb download! It was the only game I ever really enjoyed playing online, as generally I have no interest in online gaming.

I must look in to it, although I think I need a new graphics card for the PC, it wouldn't be able to handle much from the last few years. What kind of specs does your PC have if you don't mind me asking? And what kind of graphics card do you use? I need to make mine a more gaming PC, I miss the PC gaming a bit, but for now as usual, money is the obstacle.

Rdr2 is the best game ever. Fact.

Did you finish it? As in, main story line or whatever? I'm mad to play it, but I'd have to fork out for a PS4 or Xbox One at the same time.

My brother has a PS4 and he actually went out and bought the XBox just for RDR2, because he heard the graphics were slightly better.

The rich git.

Did you finish it? As in, main story line or whatever? I'm mad to play it, but I'd have to fork out for a PS4 or Xbox One at the same time.

My brother has a PS4 and he actually went out and bought the XBox just for RDR2, because he heard the graphics were slightly better.

The rich git.

The rich git.

Yeah, I finished it twice, kind of. The first time I was playing on the same account as my older daughter so I missed quite a bit. It's much slower than GTA and there is so much going on in the game that you miss a lot of it. The NPCs have actual lives. There are videos on Youtube where people follow one NPC around for a whole day in game. A lot of them have funny/weird/criminal backstories that you can discover. When you aren't around, their lives continue.

You spend a lot of time out in the wilderness hunting and fishing, running into different strangers, helping people, getting in fist fights or shoot outs with rival gangs. The main story is almost a distraction from the 'life' of Arthur (the main character).

I'm 45 the week after next . I can't help but feel I'm too old to be involved in gaming.

My only recent gaming contribution was the other night.
Junior 1 was playing an old Fifa. Fifa 16, he was playing as Villa and inexplicably had Hutton on the bench and Bacuna right back. He was ordered to put Hutton on immediately. :lol:

Yeah, I finished it twice, kind of. The first time I was playing on the same account as my older daughter so I missed quite a bit. It's much slower than GTA and there is so much going on in the game that you miss a lot of it. The NPCs have actual lives. There are videos on Youtube where people follow one NPC around for a whole day in game. A lot of them have funny/weird/criminal backstories that you can discover. When you aren't around, their lives continue.

You spend a lot of time out in the wilderness hunting and fishing, running into different strangers, helping people, getting in fist fights or shoot outs with rival gangs. The main story is almost a distraction from the 'life' of Arthur (the main character).

Sounds right up my alley. I always do the same with so called sandbox games, I start the main story but early on just go and explore, and collect things or try to improve skills and do side missions. I try to leave finishing the main story for as long as possible.

I didn't know about that one, no. I still think I have an Origin account from a few years ago, I bought Battlefield 3 on it, bloody 20gb download! It was the only game I ever really enjoyed playing online, as generally I have no interest in online gaming.

I must look in to it, although I think I need a new graphics card for the PC, it wouldn't be able to handle much from the last few years. What kind of specs does your PC have if you don't mind me asking? And what kind of graphics card do you use? I need to make mine a more gaming PC, I miss the PC gaming a bit, but for now as usual, money is the obstacle.

CD Keys have PS3/4 games as well. They just sell codes for games cheaper than normal. It's perfectly legit, as well.

I've just upgraded to an RTX2070 I'm afraid, with an i7 Gen 8 processor!!! I play on a 1440 monitor, and most games run smoothly. Assassin's Creed had a few glitches, which they sorted out in patches, and now it's fine.

I like to invest in my gaming.

CD Keys have PS3/4 games as well. They just sell codes for games cheaper than normal. It's perfectly legit, as well.

I've just upgraded to an RTX2070 I'm afraid, with an i7 Gen 8 processor!!! I play on a 1440 monitor, and most games run smoothly. Assassin's Creed had a few glitches, which they sorted out in patches, and now it's fine.

I like to invest in my gaming.

Sounds like you running some powerful machinery there Heath, lol.

I must check the site out, usually I head into town and check out the CeX shops, get some great bargains in there especially on PS3 games, I picked up LA Noire for a fiver, great game.

It's worth a look. Just checked and the have the complete LA Noire for PC, including all DLC, for £6.49. You sometimes have to be lucky, but I just have a look every now and then to see what the've got.

And yes, I like my gear. I always have. This may be all I need for a while though. It runs every game quick adequately.

When you've been working for 25 years you'll have the latest gear.

Did anyone else get a Switch? I got one two Christmases ago from my family. I like it, but I do find the choice of games limiting.

Skyrim runs nicely on it, if anyone wants a bit of mobile swordplay.

Did anyone else get a Switch? I got one two Christmases ago from my family. I like it, but I do find the choice of games limiting.

Skyrim runs nicely on it, if anyone wants a bit of mobile swordplay.

My sister in law has one. My kids like it but the Nintendo games are a bit boring for me. My kids love the cooking one.

Zelda was OK, but got samey, and so did Mario.

It's OK for a quick blast if you aren't at home, but the console games have rais dteh bar so high on the gameplay front, Nintendo will be hard pushed to match it on a tiny device.