The VAR / Refereeing Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The VAR / Refereeing Thread

99% of the time, a team finishing with 10 men or less is down to the players, not the officials. The current ignoring of the laws by the refs is just encouraging more and more dark arts. That is killing a lot of the skill in the game.

I can imagine Gazza hating this current system if he played today. The opposition would just stifle him with professional fouls and the officials would just let it happen with no cards. We would never get to see that wow factor he gave us Spurs fans.

I do like the sin bin idea though. I've actually seen it used at Step 5 level when players abuse the refs. They get 10 mins off the pitch. That could be utilised for more things in my opinion.
No to the sin bin idea cos it'll just make teams play 10 men behind the ball. Players who abuse the ref should be sent off.

I know I am going to get killed for saying this....LOL

All I know is that if it happened to us....we would be bitching and moaning the exact same way. LOL

It is happening every weekend now, and needs to be addressed.

I know I am going to get killed for saying this....LOL

All I know is that if it happened to us....we would be bitching and moaning the exact same way. LOL

It is happening every weekend now, and needs to be addressed.
We would moan for a short while, shrug our shoulders and say nothing changes for us! It’s what we expect! Nothing!

What I find a little amusing here is that people want VAR scrapped after the Liverpool offside goal fiasco. What they completely forget is that without VAR the goal would have been chalked off because the lino put his flag up anyway. VAR was the only hope of getting the goal given.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Lets be honest here ... if there was no VAR like at Spurs Women games .. this was offside ... why??? becos the linesman put his flag up and called it and the Ref stops the game for a free kick ... job done... and books anyone that challenges the official over it.
How many have we been called out - too many and do we go on about it even though we fans feel LEVY should - No we do not.
All this has done is given creedance to all these SKY/BBC pundits trying to prove their worth in as many TV chances they can to run the system down. Maybe the FA should respond by telling these pundits to stop it or face defamation claims against their employers.
Of coarse this wont happen as the FA just wants this swept under the carpet and at the moment it just will not go away - will it?
If this ends up in a replay (as that is clear what Klopp wants then we should refuse to play it and counter claim for other misdameanors within the game caused by their players.
Move on Klopp - it happens to other teams more than u like to think - your team wont get relegated becos of this decision any time soon.

Last edited:
If this were to get replayed I think that for me any credibility in professional football will have gone. Frankly I shall give up watching it as you will never know when a win is a win and whether retrospective replays from much earlier in the season would be played. It is nonsense from the entitled ones and the pundits in their pockets. It is always them that are hard done by. Get on with it. All other teams do.

If this were to get replayed I think that for me any credibility in professional football will have gone. Frankly I shall give up watching it as you will never know when a win is a win and whether retrospective replays from much earlier in the season would be played. It is nonsense from the entitled ones and the pundits in their pockets. It is always them that are hard done by. Get on with it. All other teams do.
The implications as a result of ordering a replay would be enormous and for that reason it isn't likely to happen, that said, it shouldn't stop an enquiry into the circumstances being held to see if the system can be improved going forwards. The game was as much affected by the sendings off which wouldn't be replicated in any replay and would therefore be unfair on us.

Don't worry 54, that will NOT happen. It is conceivable but highly unlikely that the PL could award them a point. They do after all use points as penalties, but it would open a can of worms. I'm more interested in how they deal with the red card appeal. The ref did everything right, took his time, and came to the correct decision. If they throw him under the bus I would expect strike action from the other refs.

Don't worry 54, that will NOT happen. It is conceivable but highly unlikely that the PL could award them a point. They do after all use points as penalties, but it would open a can of worms. I'm more interested in how they deal with the red card appeal. The ref did everything right, took his time, and came to the correct decision. If they throw him under the bus I would expect strike action from the other refs.
I agree LT but these days nothing really surprises me however unlikely it will be.

A couple of thoughts on the Curtis Jones tackle.

Firstly, Bissouma finished the game which implies that Jones must have reduced the pressure on his opponents shin. The VAR and ref were still right to upgrade to a red though as Curtis just shouldn't have found himself in that potential leg breaking position.

Secondly, that means that any appeal should be thrown out immediately. It would be a crime to refereeing if that is overturned and if I were the refs I would just walk out the PGMOL door.

LiVARpool have given their public vote of no confidence to Howard Webb's team and they should now gracefully retreat and let him work out how to improve the situation. We all know why they got that nickname in the first place so they should show some humility.

A couple of thoughts on the Curtis Jones tackle.

Firstly, Bissouma finished the game which implies that Jones must have reduced the pressure on his opponents shin. The VAR and ref were still right to upgrade to a red though as Curtis just shouldn't have found himself in that potential leg breaking position.

Secondly, that means that any appeal should be thrown out immediately. It would be a crime to refereeing if that is overturned and if I were the refs I would just walk out the PGMOL door.

LiVARpool have given their public vote of no confidence to Howard Webb's team and they should now gracefully retreat and let him work out how to improve the situation. We all know why they got that nickname in the first place so they should show some humility.

They will have no hope of rescinding that red. He wasn't in control and by whatever series of movements he tries to explain his studs being up, he wasn't in control. It easily could have been a terrible tackle turning into a horrific season ending one.

They will have no hope of rescinding that red. He wasn't in control and by whatever series of movements he tries to explain his studs being up, he wasn't in control. It easily could have been a terrible tackle turning into a horrific season ending one.

We all know that the only way it will be rescinded is by way of quid-pro-quo for the Darren England error. If that happens, all hell breaks loose and PGMOL are sitting ducks for every club.

Howard Webb is stronger than that.