The Unai Emery Thread | Page 230 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

Unai Emery Total League Record:

Won 35 - Lost 14 - Drawn 10

Press go on about Pep's record, but look at the resources he has. Then look at this, from Unai. Amazing.

It's a phenomenal record when you consider what he inherited, and even the loss/draw does him a disservice when you consider inconsistency, confidence and the fact he wants to play differently which takes time to understand.

As you point out mate, he's spent but you cross it with who he's improved and it's chalk and cheese to any of the 'rated' managers out there.

"2nd year Emery" is all they ever say and it perfectly encapsulates what you're saying. Because 2nd year Emery at Sevilla and Villareal is when he won Europa Lge's and 2nd year Emery is a treble winner at PSG.

Arsenal is the only time the second season went wrong. They don't even get this is 2nd year Emery for us. Stupid dopes.

And look at the clusterfuck of a squad he was trying to deal with. Arteta isn't my cup of tea, but I'll give him credit - however, Unai did the heavy lifting and 43 wins from 78 is hardly shabby anyway.

Expectation without understanding did him at Arse.

And look at the clusterfuck of a squad he was trying to deal with. Arteta isn't my cup of tea, but I'll give him credit - however, Unai did the heavy lifting and 43 wins from 78 is hardly shabby anyway.

Spot on Mike. The cards were stacked against Unai at Arsenal.

Arteta is a good coach, I think its okay to admit that but he isn't better than Unai. Finishing 8th two seasons on the trot when Unai had the same group of lads 5th is just one example.

I also think Arteta is the closest we'll ever see to what would happen if you landed Pep into a team that are a shower of shite but had money. Arsenal were full of bad eggs and full of lads who were simply not good enough.

Arteta is a good coach, I think its okay to admit that but he isn't better than Unai. Finishing 8th two seasons on the trot when Unai had the same group of lads 5th is just one example.

I also think Arteta is the closest we'll ever see to what would happen if you landed Pep into a team that are a shower of shite but had money. Arsenal were full of bad eggs and full of lads who were simply not good enough.

I rate him as a coach, but Unai did the work on the squad. Arteta had little left to do in my humble apart from a couple of issues, but he bounced from Emery's groundwork and the style isn't that much different anyway so there was less to learn.

I just don't like him as he's petulant and whiny for me, I was laughing when Pep had a breakdown about the schedule on the BBC after their game - same as Arteta, and sadly Klopp has gone that way of blame despite their clear advantages - it's entitled and I hate it, so fuck em.

Unsurprisingly given the week we've had he's being widely tipped for the Bayern Job. Although he is some distance down the betting.

He seems totally happy here and is contracted to 2027 - the club have given him everything he wants - when asked about the Bayern job he has said he is 100% committed to villa.

None the less you can't ignore that the Bayern job would hold some appeal for Emery.

One of Unai’s great strengths is that he has no time for excuses. His phrase “They were better than us” which he uses to describe parts or whole of games is so refreshing. That acceptance of truth ensures looking for improvement is an ever present process.

It is indeed refreshing. I can't stand the likes of Klopp , Arteta who never take a defeat on the chin.

We've been savaged by injuries don't have the budget of a top 4 club -but Emery's first instinct is to look for solutions not excuses.....and how well it's worked.

Unsurprisingly given the week we've had he's being widely tipped for the Bayern Job. Although he is some distance down the betting.

He seems totally happy here and is contracted to 2027 - the club have given him everything he wants - when asked about the Bayern job he has said he is 100% committed to villa.

None the less you can't ignore that the Bayern job would hold some appeal for Emery.
Yes the prospect of him going to United does not worry me at all but Bayern is certainly a club I'd be very worried about. They're a huge mega club and not really the type of circus that Emery would want to avoid.

For me we need to be opening contract negotiations with Emery immediately and we need to make him one of the highest paid managers in the league. I doubt we can get him to Guardiola/ Klopp levels but we should be pushing this as much as we can.

It's a phenomenal record when you consider what he inherited, and even the loss/draw does him a disservice when you consider inconsistency, confidence and the fact he wants to play differently which takes time to understand.

As you point out mate, he's spent but you cross it with who he's improved and it's chalk and cheese to any of the 'rated' managers out there.

Plus two massive injuries before this season even started

Would Bayern give him the power he has here? Plus, he’d have to learn German.

I think we might be over egging the power thing. For example we might well be limited in what funds we can offer Emery this summer -due to profit & sustainability.

Bayern are regulars in the CL - we might just
get there for the first time in the next month.

There are two hopes imo:-

Whilst Emery might be under consideration for Bayern....is he just another name in the frame - is he actually there first and realistic choice.???

Might Emery who seems a decent bloke - have some old fashioned loyalty. I understand nswe have purchased an interest in a club that is close to Emery's heart - he's got his whole set up here...

The only clubs I worry about are Madrid and Barca. I don't think he could turn down either of those but to get those jobs, he'd have to win something really big. I think he is going to win something really big here.

I think Unai will leave when he thinks he has taken the club as far as he can. We aren't there yet. We are probably reaching the outer edges of what we fans thought possible not too long ago. I wonder how far Unai thinks we can go.

I think we might be over egging the power thing. For example we might well be limited in what funds we can offer Emery this summer -due to profit & sustainability.

Bayern are regulars in the CL - we might just
get there for the first time in the next month.

There are two hopes imo:-

Whilst Emery might be under consideration for Bayern....is he just another name in the frame - is he actually there first and realistic choice.???

Might Emery who seems a decent bloke - have some old fashioned loyalty. I understand nswe have purchased an interest in a club that is close to Emery's heart - he's got his whole set up here...
Bayern is a very political club with quite a few people wanting to be the real power.

Same thing at PSG and Arsenal and Emery has been bitten by those two already.

He is the messiah!
Go on then :rolleyes:

Life Of Brian GIF

Bayern is a very political club with quite a few people wanting to be the real power.

Same thing at PSG and Arsenal and Emery has been bitten by those two already.

Clubs like that don't want a root and branch manager like Unai. They want a coach to get them through the next 18 months until they can fire him and bring the next fella in.

Someone on Talkshite reckoned Unai had around 30 staff at Villa Park, all his own people. No super club is letting him bring all his own people in. Maybe an assistant and a couple of coaches.