The Unai Emery Thread | Page 228 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

Now if you all tune in to Goldstein and Bent on Talksport a bit later on they’re discussing and these were Goldstein’s words I kid you not…’whether Unai Emery now deserves another chance at managing one of the top six clubs in the Premiership’…! They don’t realise how ridiculous they sound do they! Can’t you see he already is you clueless idiots! I feel like making my debut on Talksport a bit later to discuss their one eyed ignorance!

Now if you all tune in to Goldstein and Bent on Talksport a bit later on they’re discussing and these were Goldstein’s words I kid you not…’whether Unai Emery now deserves another chance at managing one of the top six clubs in the Premiership’…! They don’t realise how ridiculous they sound do they! Can’t you see he already is you clueless idiots! I feel like making my debut on Talksport a bit later to discuss their one eyed ignorance!
It depends how you measure things. There is a “big 6” Langoe, they have the turnover, the social media fans etc etc. They still have a huge advantage over us in terms of money.

Us and Everton are historically “big 6” in terms of trophies won and league titles, but you know the media think football was invented with the birth of the premier league. I even read an article today where Ollie is a single goal away from equaling the club record - never mind that Pongo got 49 league goals one season. 🤣🤣

It depends how you measure things. There is a “big 6” Langoe, they have the turnover, the social media fans etc etc. They still have a huge advantage over us in terms of money.

Us and Everton are historically “big 6” in terms of trophies won and league titles, but you know the media think football was invented with the birth of the premier league. I even read an article today where Ollie is a single goal away from equaling the club record - never mind that Pongo got 49 league goals one season. 🤣🤣
They might well have an advantage financially but if anyone thinks Unai will consider moving to the likes of a Chelsea or Tottenham or even Man Utd at the moment, they’re in cloud cuckoo land! Arsenal have already dumped him so that’s two thirds out of the equation straight away! It’s the ignorance that drives me nuts..most of them haven’t a clue how much control and power Unai has at Villa Park. He doesn’t get that if he goes to their definition of a ‘big’ club but they wouldn’t bring that argument into the equation because of that ignorance! Clueless, patronising tossers most of them!

They might well have an advantage financially but if anyone thinks Unai will consider moving to the likes of a Chelsea or Tottenham or even Man Utd at the moment, they’re in cloud cuckoo land! Arsenal have already dumped him so that’s two thirds out of the equation straight away! It’s the ignorance that drives me nuts..most of them haven’t a clue how much control and power Unai has at Villa Park. He doesn’t get that if he goes to their definition of a ‘big’ club but they wouldn’t bring that argument into the equation because of that ignorance! Clueless, patronising tossers most of them!
Yeah, but you’d read an article if you were a Manure fan, linking him to your club - especially as “he’d walk across hot coals” to get the job. It just reinforces the readers in-built bias that Manure are somehow special and still a big draw.

Loads and loads of lazy articles out there not considering all the factors - like the loss against Citeh not taking account of 6 changes to the team, not even a peep out of the press that we had 48hrs less to rest and prepare after our European game than Arsenal. We have to win the conference league and finish a comfortable 4th this season to get any plaudits I think - and all our players will still be linked to other teams 🤣

This is a trigger warning but how I view this is they’re fucking terrified. And that’s cause money isn’t enough to oust us now and getting a manager better than him is virtually impossible. Yes United fans get use to looking up the table.

‘For my money it’s a complete no brainer…’

You are a no brainer pal, off you f@ck.

To my mind, what added pleasure would he get from taking Manure or Plop to the CL than he would from taking us there? He's being backed heavily by our owners already and I'm guessing that in Unai's mind, he can already win the PL and/or the CL in the next five years with us - he'd be in no better position with any other of the Sky6.

With the additional income streams being brought in, we'll be closing the financial gap on them and Unai will be able to bring in the same players to Villa that he would be taking to any other club. If you think this through like a rational person, there is zero advantage to moving at the moment for him personally, in fact you could see many disadvantages with wild expectations of the fanbase, pampered players who won't commit to his methodology and interference at Board level.

Definitely time to bring my foot down......Unai's going nowhere.

When I look at Shabby Alonso staying at Leverkusen, I think he might have wasted his chance to get a big club.

A lot of PL pundits will be thinking the same about Unai.

They probably don't even factor in that he has had bad spells at Arsenal and PSG. He has seen life at a "big" club and knows how bad it can be.

When outsiders look at players and managers from clubs outside the big 4/5/6/7 (whatever it is now), they think they are all chomping at the bit to "get a big move".

Imagine leaving Champions League bound Aston Villa for upper-mid-table hopefuls Man Utd!

When I look at Shabby Alonso staying at Leverkusen, I think he might have wasted his chance to get a big club.

They probably don't even factor in that he has had bad spells at Arsenal and PSG. He has seen life at a "big" club and knows how bad it can be.

When outsiders look at players and managers from clubs outside the big 4/5/6/7 (whatever it is now), they think they are all chomping at the bit to "get a big move".

Imagine leaving Champions League bound Aston Villa for upper-mid-table hopefuls Man Utd!
Man united has been a poisoned chalice since Ferguson left.

Spurs is because levy is a sociopath.

Chelsea are doomed. Forget them.

ManCity is a no win situation.

Liverpool probably the same.

Arsenal. Lol. Obvious no.

That rules out the English clubs for sure. No way he leaves for an English club.

Think the pundits view it as Villa have had one lucky season and normal service will be resumed next season. Now that may be the case as one swallow doesn't make a summer. That fails to take into account that Villa have consistently been 4th in the form table since Unai's arrival. Yes there is a gap to the very top and you would guess that a shallow person might see the grass as greener and think it's easy to manage Man City. Other's who have tried, have found it more difficult than Pep and that includes managers at PSG, Barca and Real, even Bayern have struggled this season.

It comes down to personal pride and does Unai want to sit on the shoulders of giants or does he want to work from the ground up, create his own dynasty, his own legend. I believe that we all think Unai is the latter of those two and that the ambition of Aston Villa and it's owners currently matches his own. While that remains I'm confident he'll choose us over any other opportunity.

I guess it comes down to whether he wants to be a Matt Busby, a Bill Shankly, an Arsene Wenger, even a George Ramsey or whether he's happy being a gun for hire on a merry go round Carlo Ancelotti, Thomas Tuchel etc.

Last edited:
That rules out the English clubs for sure. No way he leaves for an English club.
I feel like he has said as much, Madrid or Barcelona were his previous comments and I think we're safe from those vultures for quite some time. I think Emery only gets those jobs if he wins the league or UCL with us.

He is desperate to win the UCL, its his #1 goal, if he does that with us I think he'll leave soon after and I can't ask a lot more than that.

I feel like he has said as much, Madrid or Barcelona were his previous comments and I think we're safe from those vultures for quite some time. I think Emery only gets those jobs if he wins the league or UCL with us.

He is desperate to win the UCL, its his #1 goal, if he does that with us I think he'll leave soon after and I can't ask a lot more than that.
Who wants to manage Barcelona? I dont know the full details but are they not screwed?

Real Madrid job is just a mirror image of the PSV job?

Zidane to Bayern Munich then…! Thank God Unai turned them down eh…!! The master knows where his loyalties are..!

Who wants to manage Barcelona? I dont know the full details but are they not screwed?

Real Madrid job is just a mirror image of the PSV job?
Thats what the man himself said, they are two institutions of football and the only clubs I could accept him going to. That said I think he'll be here for a good length of time. Plus I think he is just too unfashionable for both even tho he'd actually suit either.

He has the football to be a Barca manager and the winning mentality to be a Madrid manager. If he does the unthinkable with us and Barca continue to be shite I could see him going their and rebuilding them. I am talking 5-10 years time tho, Barca need more time to wrap themselves up and make things worse. Which is whats going to happen their too wrapped in their own ways and football has changed.

Time for a Unai is going nowhere me thinks. He has done amazing job here, but i'm sure even he will want better for this club. Nothing better than waking up a sleeping giant, he has certainly done that, but his job is not finished here yet.

Last edited:
Unai has already said the only clubs he's seen him ever leaving for are the 3 big Spanish ones. The two Madrid clubs and Barca I'm guessing that is when he gets homesick and cold

I came across a video on YouTube about how Unai transformed the Villa. It was rubbish. It kept going on about the box midfield and inverted wingers. Yes, we do play with a box midfield (usually) but that's not how Unai transformed the Villa.

The reason why I clicked on the video is that I don't know how Unai transformed the Villa. SJM was fairly rubbish under Slippy. He's now one of the top midfielders in the league. He's the absolute king of shielding the ball in tight spaces. He's doing to the PL what he did in the Championship. Doug is world class now. Ollie is a goal machine. The question is how? It's not just tactical. He got in their heads on day 1. How?