The Unai Emery Thread | Page 229 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

I came across a video on YouTube about how Unai transformed the Villa. It was rubbish. It kept going on about the box midfield and inverted wingers. Yes, we do play with a box midfield (usually) but that's not how Unai transformed the Villa.

The reason why I clicked on the video is that I don't know how Unai transformed the Villa. SJM was fairly rubbish under Slippy. He's now one of the top midfielders in the league. He's the absolute king of shielding the ball in tight spaces. He's doing to the PL what he did in the Championship. Doug is world class now. Ollie is a goal machine. The question is how? It's not just tactical. He got in their heads on day 1. How?

He's got a very good reputation for what he's achieved so he would have got a lot of players taking him seriously from day one. Remember reading something a while ago from Konsa when he heard Emery was joining and how it could up his game. Also good at man management and motivating the players to want to do well themselves. He tries to understand them and wants to help them, like Bailey has said before, rather than shout, putting players down, etc like average managers do.

Last edited:
I came across a video on YouTube about how Unai transformed the Villa. It was rubbish. It kept going on about the box midfield and inverted wingers. Yes, we do play with a box midfield (usually) but that's not how Unai transformed the Villa.

The reason why I clicked on the video is that I don't know how Unai transformed the Villa. SJM was fairly rubbish under Slippy. He's now one of the top midfielders in the league. He's the absolute king of shielding the ball in tight spaces. He's doing to the PL what he did in the Championship. Doug is world class now. Ollie is a goal machine. The question is how? It's not just tactical. He got in their heads on day 1. How?
Hypnosis 👀

He’s very good at the small things, body position etc., he must drill that defence relentlessly as they are picture perfect holding the line, he’s very structured in his patterns of play, so everyone knows their roles. He tells them that they are all better than they think they are, gives them belief in themselves and finally it’s a zero blame culture, he allows players to make mistakes on the pitch and takes the responsibility by saying they are his fault for making them play that way.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, he’s a tactical genius.

So, in short, he allows players to play, he gives them confidence and a structure, then instills belief, simple really, why didn’t I think of that? And he has a great team of people around him.

World class is a funny one.

Honestly. I don't watch enough football to be a judge of who/isn't world class.

If I think of late 90s and early 20s when I watched football non stop I would probably say we have 1 worldly (emi).

None of the rest are up to that level back then.

But now..I honestly think the standard of world football (from my limited view) has dropped. I just don't think the quality is there like it used to be.

If you look at the Brazilian, french, Barcelona, real Madrid, Manchester United, arsenal teams back then.... And compare to now?

There is no comparison in my eyes.

So maybe in the standard I see with modern football Dougie, Watkins, Konsa, maybe a few others pushing to be world class.

But not world class standard like it used to be known as.

He’s very good at the small things, body position etc., he must drill that defence relentlessly as they are picture perfect holding the line, he’s very structured in his patterns of play, so everyone knows their roles. He tells them that they are all better than they think they are, gives them belief in themselves and finally it’s a zero blame culture, he allows players to make mistakes on the pitch and takes the responsibility by saying they are his fault for making them play that way.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, he’s a tactical genius.

So, in short, he allows players to play, he gives them confidence and a structure, then instills belief, simple really, why didn’t I think of that? And he has a great team of people around him.
Yes, I don't know where I saw it but there was something on how they trained Leon and others on how they should position themselves when they receive the ball. Coaching small, almost insignificant details that multiply.

I also remember reading last year how he told the players at either Valencia(?) that he had picked each of them a few books to read. He didn't make it mandatory but he was surprised that quite a few came to get them. Later on at Sevilla he had their GK read Victor Veldez' book because he was so shaky and that he told him if he read Victor's book it would help him. That keeper ended up being one of the cup winners.

The other week Ollie said he told the players to be braver with the ball vs. Arsenal and that if they concede from a mistake playing out so beit.

Seriously WTF is this guy - he's the footballing equivalent of a terminator.

I mean how do you pluck a underwhelming championship player for a nominal fee and within weeks have him ripping it up in the PL.....

Unreal.

Morgan Rodgers was outstanding today. His passing really impressed me.

We played against Boro and nobody noticed Rodgers. Nobody except Unai. He's different level.

The uninitiated out there judge him solely on his time at Arsenal
"2nd year Emery" is all they ever say and it perfectly encapsulates what you're saying. Because 2nd year Emery at Sevilla and Villareal is when he won Europa Lge's and 2nd year Emery is a treble winner at PSG.

Arsenal is the only time the second season went wrong. They don't even get this is 2nd year Emery for us. Stupid dopes.