The Unai Emery Thread | Page 90 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

He seems to be a survivor this dead ball expert. I think Emery would of turfed him out by now so he must be adding some value.

Mcphee was apparently hired by one if the owners, Edens if I remember correctly hence why he's still there.

It was hinted after Gerrard got the boot that Mcphee and Danks were mostly ignored on the training ground by Stevie and his army of coaches.

I like the fact that Unai is very much the leader at Villa. We know he has a backroom team, with really experienced heads like Pako, but it's very much all him and he's the face of it all.

One thing that used to grate me about Gerrard was this notion that he could get away with delegating lots of his role to others, at times you were wondering who was running the operation, you used to hear more about them (notably Beale), and that even came across in his social media posts when he was in charge.

I remember they were saying Beale had a WhatsApp group with the players and he'd post tactical stuff in it. I believe a quote was "this became less and less frequent under Gerrard". It almost sounds like a modern innovative appriach but you know what? I'd bet this WhatsApp group is nonexistent under Unai because he has them in a room watching it, going through it in detail, and helping them understand which is what Beale et al. should be doing. Its lazy.

Levels. Thank god we've moved away from these 2-bit operators.

Mcphee was apparently hired by one if the owners, Edens if I remember correctly hence why he's still there.

It was hinted after Gerrard got the boot that Mcphee and Danks were mostly ignored on the training ground by Stevie and his army of FRAUDS.

I remember they were saying Beale had a WhatsApp group with the players and he'd post tactical stuff in it. I believe a quote was "this became less and less frequent under Gerrard". It almost sounds like a modern innovative appriach but you know what? I'd bet this WhatsApp group is nonexistent under Unai because he has them in a room watching it, going through it in detail, and helping them understand which is what Beale et al. should be doing. Its lazy.

Levels. Thank god we've moved away from these 2-bit operators.

Yeah it was an Instagram group they started, the handle was bodymoor1, and unsurprisingly it no longer exists.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-private-instagram-account-aston-villa-squad/

I think it was Gregg Evans at the Athletic, who seems quite reliable on what goes on behind the scenes at VP, who said that Emery had said he appreciated what McPhee does and was happy to keep him on. Considering they even moved on Big Cuts then I think that rings true for me.

I think it was Gregg Evans at the Athletic, who seems quite reliable on what goes on behind the scenes at VP, who said that Emery had said he appreciated what McPhee does and was happy to keep him on. Considering they even moved on Big Cuts then I think that rings true for me.

Probably never had one at Villareal either, its quite a different fro the SG regime as we'd all have to google the backroom staff these days, where they were all known under the fraud.
I think Unai is what most of us think of as a manager/coach. Hands-on in a tracksuit on the grass, brilliant

Makes a heck of a difference when you know what you’re doing because you’ve been there, seen it, done it etc.

SG just parroted lines for the media whilst persisting with an outrageously flawed set up and not having the slightest idea how to coach and drill the players to actually play it.

Emery on the other hands knows every single detail and how to get this into the players heads, and doesn’t it show?

Makes a heck of a difference when you know what you’re doing because you’ve been there, seen it, done it etc.

SG just parroted lines for the media whilst persisting with an outrageously flawed set up and not having the slightest idea how to coach and drill the players to actually play it.

Emery on the other hands knows every single detail and how to get this into the players heads, and doesn’t it show?
When a player like Mings at 29 has to be told how to hold the line, it makes you wonder what Deano and SG were bloody doing. Unai has changed him in a few games

When a player like Mings at 29 has to be told how to hold the line, it makes you wonder what Deano and SG were bloody doing. Unai has changed him in a few games

Its a team game and when the rest of the team don't know their roles and what to do situationally then older and 'wiser' players will get drawn into the chaos.

Villa look more composed on and off the ball - its no surprise that the back line aren't getting pulled all over the shop.

Its a team game and when the rest of the team don't know their roles and what to do situationally then older and 'wiser' players will get drawn into the chaos.

Villa look more composed on and off the ball - its no surprise that the back line aren't getting pulled all over the shop.

It's the level of detail he goes to compared to a manager like SG who sat in his office and popped down to the training pitches and stood there arms folded watching some no-mark ex-Liverpool youth coach take training.

I bet its been a shock to some of the players , the depth to which Unai goes for each game.
I'd love a day watching it at Bodymoor

Key word is respect. Emery gets that for his knowledge and what he has done in the game and his short time at villa.

He doesn't need to be billy big bollocks and get all tetchy with reporters and argue with his own players via the media to prove he is the boss. His results do the talking.

It's the level of detail he goes to compared to a manager like SG who sat in his office and popped down to the training pitches and stood there arms folded watching some no-mark ex-Liverpool youth coach take training.

I bet its been a shock to some of the players , the depth to which Unai goes for each game.
I'd love a day watching it at Bodymoor

It's probably a shock that most players are receptive to though !

If that idiot had somehow managed a 71% win ratio over 12 months we'd all have been waking ourselves silly.

I wouldn't.
Wanted him gone from day 1.

He was a useless idiotic manager - but TBF it was a ill judged move for him - the villa fans were never totally on board with Stevie G.

I was concerned about Cutler leaving but since Martinez has returned it's been like parking the bus with just the goalie. His general aura has been quite sombre...even his appearance with his golden glove. It's like he's gone up a level.