The Unai Emery Thread | Page 89 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

I remember saying when everyone seemed to want Poch, what has he actually won in the PL and the answer is nothing.
I never thought in my dreams we'd get Unai who has won stuff with far worse sides than we are.

Unai is the Aston Villa of managers, everyone knows them but few seem to realise how great they are
Yep Poch was the "exciting" choice but when the rumours of Emery emerged he just looked like the perfect candidate for us

Already emerging as the most tactically intelligent manager that I’ve seen in my lifetime supporting the club.

Emery is the manager we’ve been crying out for since Big Ron.

You could see it yesterday - the shape and formation all the loose balls were picked up by villa players - almost without the villa players moving.
So often I've despaired at seeing the opposition do this to us.

I thought we played really well yesterday - 3-0 villa would have been a more fitting scoreline. Shame bailey not up to speed , a lot of moves seem to break down as he got the final ball wrong.

Hopefully ue can work his magic on him.

I remember saying when everyone seemed to want Poch, what has he actually won in the PL and the answer is nothing.
I never thought in my dreams we'd get Unai who has won stuff with far worse sides than we are.

Unai is the Aston Villa of managers, everyone knows them but few seem to realise how great they are
Yeah, it is bizarre really.
I wanted Unai too—and I thought we had a chance (albeit a small one) of convincing him.
And I thought we had less chance of getting Poch, because he probably wouldn't see us as "big enough" for him. That or we aren't Tottenham.

All early days of course, but panning out well so far.

I was all for Poch coming here but that was before Unai was linked. I could see Poch jumping ship as soon as a better offer came along but I don't see that with Unai who I think is here for the long run.

He gets the club and he gets the fans.

I think he can appreciate the fans seeing as he's been at 2 of the wannabe super clubs in PSG and Arsenal where the fans there demand instant success and will turn quickly if it doesn't arrive. He knows he's at a big club but one where he'll be loved for improving us rather than castigated for not winning every game.

You could see it yesterday - the shape and formation all the loose balls were picked up by villa players - almost without the villa players moving.

I thought we played really well yesterday - 3-0 villa would have been a more fitting scoreline. Shame bailey not up to speed , a lot of moves seem to break down as he got the final ball wrong.

Its great to see a manager do some of things you think need to happen to win a game. I thought we needed to play Dendonker and also setup to win every second ball because thats how they've started to play. But Unai once again showing us why he is the boss, didnt need Dendonker just set the team up right and we sweeped up almost everything.

They wont have many games where they get almost nothing.

Agree entirely . Slightly surprised by some match comments yesterday regarding our performance. More quality from the front three and it would have been a very convincing win indeed.

I like the fact that Unai is very much the leader at Villa. We know he has a backroom team, with really experienced heads like Pako, but it's very much all him and he's the face of it all.

One thing that used to grate me about Gerrard was this notion that he could get away with delegating lots of his role to others, at times you were wondering who was running the operation, you used to hear more about them (notably Beale), and that even came across in his social media posts when he was in charge.

I like the fact that Unai is very much the leader at Villa. We know he has a backroom team, with really experienced heads like Pako, but it's very much all him and he's the face of it all.

One thing that used to grate me about Gerrard was this notion that he could get away with delegating lots of his role to others, at times you were wondering who was running the operation, and that even came across in his social media posts when he was in charge.
Ye I couldn't name any of his backroom team never mine put a name to a face, except for the hippy

Well we have certainly moved on as far as managers is concerned, Wasn't that long ago we were throwing cabbages at Steve Bruce and also thought an apprentice is what we need.