The Unai Emery Thread | Page 78 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

And the solution?

A £12m 29 year old full back from the Spanish league.......(it's a wonder we hadn't thought of this earlier)
This is just the start. I think Emery will eventually replace 70% of this team . It's a question of who he can get in that he wants and in what order. I find it quite reassuring he's deemed Digne not good enough because that means the other areas of difficiency will not have gone unnoticed.

This is just the start. I think Emery will eventually replace 70% of this team . It's a question of who he can get in that he wants and in what order. I find it quite reassuring he's deemed Digne not good enough because that means the other areas of difficiency will not have gone unnoticed.

Good point. I find it strange that people think he's prioritised a fullback, players we need become available we get them. He just happens to be the first we've got over the line. He's a player Unai wants and that ok by me, if he decides we need Harry McGuire we just have to trust him like we did Graham Taylor and BFR

Yes exactly. And we're not going to be able to replace every player he doesn't want with a £30—£60m 20—26 year old. Just have to trust the process (eek)

I've not been totally convinced by Digne. But I'm not expecting Moreno to be a significant upgrade.

The forward line is the problem - but that will require significant funding to put right, so we've gone for a budget friendly full back instead.

I will stand corrected if we bring in a couple £40m forwards - but swapping in and out £15m players isn't going to get us anywhere.

I've not been totally convinced by Digne. But I'm not expecting Moreno to be a significant upgrade.

The forward line is the problem - but that will require significant funding to put right, so we've gone for a budget friendly full back instead.

I will stand corrected if we bring in a couple £40m forwards - but swapping in and out £15m players isn't going to get us anywhere.

Not instead of, he just he happens to be first over the line . Unai has said he wants a striker but they are always more difficult to get in and as he's sent Archer out I'd gamble on is almost done

Not instead of, he just he happens to be first over the line . Unai has said he wants a striker but they are always more difficult to get in and as he's sent Archer out I'd gamble on is almost done

Ok - I'm happy to stand corrected when said players arrive.

Yes exactly. And we're not going to be able to replace every player he doesn't want with a £30—£60m 20—26 year old. Just have to trust the process (eek)

Imo that process will just keep us bubbling along where we are. We need significantly better players - on whole those will cost - if we we aren't prepared to pay don't expect top 6 finishes.

Digne cannot play how Emery wants his left back to play. He has to be quick and able to beat a player. He also needs to be sound defensivly. Apparently Moreno fits the bill. I will wait till i have seen him a few times to decide if this is correct. In Gerrard system the LB just had to basically launch it in the box. Its the reason we ended up with no wingers.

I dont give a flying fvck what he cost if he can do what Emery requires. I know its a strange concept trusting a Villa manager but we had better get used to it. If Emery fails we really are up shit creek. Its unlikely though.

Emery has to get rid of 8-9 players from this team. The thinking that they all need to be replaced with £40-£60m players isn't realistic.

Imo that process will just keep us bubbling along where we are. We need significantly better players - on whole those will cost - if we we aren't prepared to pay don't expect top 6 finishes.

Some will, some won’t. Depends who he wants and how smart we are. But yes at some stage you’d think we have to break the bank for a player or two. Those players have to want to come to us first mind.

Some will, some won’t. Depends who he wants and how smart we are. But yes at some stage you’d think we have to break the bank for a player or two. Those players have to want to come to us first mind.

I think the really big signings will be made this summer when it's simply a better time to make such deals. I'd expect the real big money will be going on a striker and a CB.

Emery has to get rid of 8-9 players from this team. The thinking that they all need to be replaced with £40-£60m players isn't realistic.
There are 8-9 irrelevant players in every squad (we've actually had more than that recently :ROFLMAO:). The process of renewal, revamping, upgrading football squads is a never ending process.

As an aside, a few months back this forum was willing to let Douglas Luiz go because he wasn't performing, Mings is useless according to some on here and the list goes on. We have a squad of players to choose from and players within the squad will come into and fall out of form so there is no perfect solution. We just have to accept where we are currently and watch and hope any new recruits improve the team.

Agree - but some of them will if we are to progress. Like I have said shuffling £15m players in and out won't achieve anything.

Last edited: