The Ultimate Loaned Players Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Ultimate Loaned Players Thread

It's about time our academy was sorted out completely. The return on investment has been appalling.

It's about time our academy was sorted out completely. The return on investment has been appalling.

Most of them only seem to provide for teams further down the spectrum look at us with Tammy and Axel can't see either playing for their parent club

I was listening to John Barnes on the Joe.ie podcast. He talked about how Liverpool didn't train players, they expected the younger players to learn from the older players. It became a problem for Liverpool under Souness because there were so few senior players left.

I can't imagine that would happen any more.

I know Poch at Spurs is reluctant to loan out his young players because he thinks his coaches are better than the ones they'll be under in League One or wherever.

If the club has a youth focus and a Villa way of playing (I know, I'm banging that drum again), then every youth player from the 8 year olds up should be learning to play that way. Ajax have been doing this stuff for decades, why can't we?

Half of our problem with the youngsters falling victim of the axe lies with the shortism shown over recent years. Bruce made a big statement that only experience would work - until the current owners indicated they didn’t want old codgers moving forwards (including Brucie Boy) .

Certainly, the pressure to claw our way back up to the ‘big league’ has been understandable, but the recruitment of Jedinak, Whelan, Taylor, Adomah and McCormack by various gaffers tells a tale of one to two season strategies being employed. However, the gamble failed and our squad is now in dire need of a sort out.

Whether we beat the Rams or not, we need to clear the decks of surplus players and focus on quality. I just hope a few of the remaining young guns figure in that.

How we are increasing the remuneration of McCormack, Gardner and co. if we go up leaves me utterly bewildered. We must have had someone on the p-ss during negotiations.

Just have a feeling there could be really big squad changes if we miss out on Monday.

Hopefully, my ramblings prove to be academic. UTV!

I'd like top think there will be really big squad changes regardless of what happens, it's just a shame some talent in the under age levels will have to suffer that so we can set the bar higher for the future and bring their usefulness forward by 2-4 years.

Ie the crop at 21-23 not yet at the grade, and get the crop of 17-19 to the grade.

I too reckon we will end up with a lot leaner squad at the season's end. Been looking at names I reckon there 17 we'd probably keep, if possible, and that includes Tammy, Axel, Tyrone, Kortney and El Ghazi. Big question mark over Nyland, who I didn't include.

So, room for O' Hare. Add the French RB. Either Nyland (Sarkic out on loan) or Sarkic. Then we've got 4 slots left if we're looking at a squad of 24. Can't see any U23s other than O' Hare or Sarkic making the squad. Those 4 slots would depend on whether we're promoted or not. Either way, could have a team to look forward to. Of course, might have to replace some of the above loanees.

Sarkic is back with us, was an emergency loan hence his appearances on the bench McP.

But yes, I'm assuming far leaner - far younger. And the younger will be picked as direct promotions with first team in mind and with a single doubt they go from here on in.

Again the disappointment for me is Mitch Clark in particular - given he was such a regular, if we'd got him out last season and he'd performed as well as he did this year, I don't think we'd have released him.

O'Hare and Doyle-Hayes haven't done themselves any harm though.

Ended better than he started but yup, picked up an injury right at the end and came back early from memory, but returned with some good praise so promising.

So with the EFL season about to start we've already loaned out 2 of our youngsters with more expected to go.

Green to Preston. Big chance for him to show he can go a full season without injury and really prove himself.

JDH to Cheltenham. Can't really see him making it with us but who knows what a good season with regular football could do for him.

Also looks like RHM will be joining Tranmere which could be a great move for him. They've lost their main striker and he should hopefully get plenty of game time.

I imagine we'll see plenty more going out. Suliman, O'Hare, Davis, Revan and Ramsey all could benefit.