The Ultimate Loaned Players Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Ultimate Loaned Players Thread

Sad for all of these kids who had their hopes built up to have them dashed when they reach a critical point in their lives. Some if not all will have to be content with making a living in the lower leagues instead of living in mansions on gated complexes as is the norm for the greed league.
However, there is still hope for some as demonstrated by Enda Stevens - he was dire with us from what I saw but he has been good for Sheff Utd and will be in the PL next season.
Good luck to all the kids that are released.

It looks like a clear out of the academy and a new start in terms of what is required. I just hope that the new approach is focused on bringing forward our own talent rather than providing a "mill" to produce saleable assets.

Most of the kids who go on to "make it" have been at least on the bench for the first team by the time they are 18.
I expect most of those who are over 20/21 will get released, just a shame we never get even the money invested in them back.

Ruthless isn't it?

Still don't understand the Mitch Clark decision given he had an excellent loan spell. Surely we should know which division we are playing in before some of these decisions are made.

Lyden called back, injured, then released - it's a very cruel game and there is no room for sentiment.

Our prior lack of planning shows itself again really. Not getting players real game time until they are 20+ has probably counted against Clark here. I doubt he'll be the only one to go.
This point hits the nail on the head for me. By 20-22 years of age these players, if they were truly good enough, should surely have 1-2 years in and around first team football (on loan probably) behind them. Seems to me that most of the “kids” that are not being retained are all in that 20+ bracket. Grealish was at Notts County as an 18 year old and by all accounts was very good for them. I think if we are to see a youngster making the breakthrough then it should be at 18-20. If by 21/22 they are doing OK two leagues below then that tells its own story in my humble opinion.
Mitch Clark might be good where he is, but he’s no Cahill or Albrighton (both of whom were playing in the premier league at a younger age...)

Great talent and seemingly great determination to make the most of it. Think Carlisle played him further forwards than he was playing in our u21s, and I suspect that's the best place for him. Good for assists and goals. Hope he has a good future with us.

Not sure on exact positioning, but at least from highlights I've seen he was prominently in and around the box when they were attacking.

Ruthless isn't it?

Still don't understand the Mitch Clark decision given he had an excellent loan spell. Surely we should know which division we are playing in before some of these decisions are made.

Lyden called back, injured, then released - it's a very cruel game and there is no room for sentiment.

Agreed. Certainly Mitch Clark could be a very useful squad player if we're still in the championship next season as he can play anywhere across the back 4. If we're up then loan him to a championship team to see how he takes the step up. I've a feeling we'll regret letting him go.

Lyden, Mckirdy, Knibbs, prosser aren't particularly shocking. Lyden has to be one of the unluckiest players we've had with injuriee, similar to Chris Herd. Must be an Aussie thing.