The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 115 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

I think Mings should start against Newcastle, I wouldn't drop him.

I also think Chambers alongside him may help, I'm not expecting a world beating performance, but I think that the fact that he's more experienced will be positive for us.

Did you not watch the entire game. Mings wasn't the problem.
No he wasn’t was he, he didn’t have a direct impact on any of the 3 goals. He didn’t get brushed off the ball by their midget striker for the first, he didn’t get beaten in the air by their midget striker for the second, he didn’t fuck up and gift wrap the ball to their defender for the third - your right he wasn’t the problem. Did you not watch the entire game and see their 3 goals 🤣

Mings certainly wasn't the only problem.

Ollie's lackluster hold-up play, and the fact that Douglas Luiz is not the answer to our DM problems, are two of many factors that didn't help.

Mings probably made more blocks and interceptions than most last night, but there's no getting away he was directly involved with all of the goals through personal error.

But surely questions also have to be asked about Konsa.
It will be really interesting to see how Mings gets along with Chambers (who I don't know enough about to judge yet).

Long term of course the answer is simple (or not)...
Find the next Van Dyke and buy him!

Could be an interesting summer.
Clear for all to see last night the areas in which we need to improve.

Gerrard said from the outset he wants the defence sorted and will build from there. Digne in, Martinez new long term deal with an experienced back up signed that can challenge him. It will be interesting to see how Mings and the other defenders cope with that pressure - he has already played the scapegoat card when bellyaching about the previous manager. I believe Smith downfall was highlighted after he dropped Hause after that fantastic Man U performance and played Tuanzebe, players have to be dropped if they ain’t cutting it and like wise stay in the team if they play well and show consistency. Watkins, Konsa are in the same boat and Luiz who maybe has a get out of jail card due to Nakamba injury

Last edited:
What tosh - he was poor for their 3 goals - of course he contributed to the defensive problems. He is a decent defender but his consistency is non existent and at £20m plus along with being an England squad regular(whether that means anything) and his chat/views about the previous manager before the game - I expect a much better performance. I wonder if the treatment of Targett has rattled him - hopefully it has and he can show us on the pitch starting with the Newcastle game and then continuing for a decent run of games

If it was Targett instead of Mings I am certain there would have been ZERO support for him. Unfortunately for Targett he doesn't chew gum and point to others during games.

No he wasn’t was he, he didn’t have a direct impact on any of the 3 goals. He didn’t get brushed off the ball by their midget striker for the first, he didn’t get beaten in the air by their midget striker for the second, he didn’t fuck up and gift wrap the ball to their defender for the third - your right he wasn’t the problem. Did you not watch the entire game and see their 3 goals 🤣

He was sandwiched between Konsa and Mings and what's worse, inspite of that and being shorter he managed to head the ball into the net.

And an opportunity for Konsa to sit out a game or two - hopefully Chambers or Hause won’t get the Smith treatment if they come in and play well - Gerrard is different isn’t he - I bloody hope he is

That is exactly what I was about to say as well. What is the point of performing when you are replacing an injured or booked player when you know despite doing exceedingly well when called upon you end up being benched again. Hope SG chooses based on merit.

He was sandwiched between Konsa and Mings and what's worse, inspite of that and being shorter he managed to head the ball into the net.

James got sandwiched between Buendia and Mings. He didnt win the header and admitted afterwards that he didnt know much about it. The ball hit him on the face and went in. To me it looked like Mings got his head to it first but not enough contact to clear it
We shouldnt be relying on Mings to keep clearing the ball off the line in the first place. Leading up to that goal Konsa gives his man far too much space, someone (Coutinho I think) fails to track a runner into the box who then hits it across the face of goal, Luiz attempts to block it and it loops up over to the far post. Thats 3 mistakes before its even got as far as Mings & James. On a better day I'd also back Martinez to have run over and plucked it out of the air

Strange game altogether. 3 classy Villa goals,2 poor Leeds goals. Emphasised yet again our need for a defensive midfielder. Take out Tyrones obvious error and it would have been an excellent night for him. Whist much of our play up top was,at times, outstanding, we are too open to counter attacks. Defensive midfielder a priority and good times ahead.Proper Sunday morning game, neutrals saying great game and though hard to agree but a fair enough result.

Having slept on it and got up and gone to work and reflected.....

That was fuckin pish.

I still think Tyrone is a good defender and captain, but his mistakes are so glaring sometimes. At least Ezri seems to get away with his most of the time.

Having slept on it and got up and gone to work and reflected.....

That was fuckin pish.

I still think Tyrone is a good defender and captain, but his mistakes are so glaring sometimes. At least Ezri seems to get away with his most of the time.

The 2 or 3-minute period prior to the 3rd goal sums up Tyrone. An immense clearance off the line followed by another excellent headed clearance before fluffing his lines and gifting an attacker a goal.

Another thing that I've only thought of in hindsight is that Mings shouldn't have been put in that position for the 3rd. We should be dealing with corners better than that. He's essentially standing there attempting to make a second clearance off the line in less than 3 minutes. That is probably a bigger issue than him fluffing his lines.

First goal went through Konsas legs after weak defending.....But Mings gets the blame. Yes Mings made howlers but all defence and all midfield defending was shocking.

Enjoyed that, good read. I like intelligent players who, for example, can learn about the academic side of things such as leadership styles.

I was in the early group of turning a bit anti-Mings when that got a bit emotional on here, but he did then step on and improve and had months of playing well.

My only theory with Mings is he has too much going on. He has his high profile career with us, he plays for his country, he has a business and he takes on politicians. I actually think fair play to him for all that, for years we’ve been used to idolising thick footballers without a clue or respect of the real world (J*ck), but there’s an element here of Mings having to perhaps consolidate and concentrate on the core of what is going to keep the huge salary coming in for the next 5-6 years at least, and then he can personally worry about football academies and go into politics when he retires in his 30’s.

The biggest shame for me is that Mings has the attributes to be a top defender and should be one of those players you could see starting if we ever made it back into Europe for example, but for now he’s probably closer to the “if the right money comes in category”…

Last edited:
I think you've expressed my thinking on Mings far better than I could have @danvilla2 . Agree with everything you've said there.

Anyway we all know how this goes, we'll buy Coutinho, he'll have a great season next year, move to someone else for the 4th highest transfer fee, and we'll use the money to buy Virgil Van Duke mkII.

There’s CBT/ therapy to help with better concentration, David James seemed to crack this later on in his career. James used to have a PlayStation addiction which he said impacted his concentration on the pitch. So it’s possible Mings’ other interests are a distraction.

Either way we need players at the back who do not consistently make costly errors, it doesn’t matter how often he makes up for them, he shouldn’t be making them in the first place because of the overall destabilising effects they have which puts us unnecessarily on the back foot.

I'm not sure he 'has the attributes of a top defender'. Not comfortable on the ball. My heart's in my mouth every time.

I think that’s a mindset thing where he needs to improve his composure, which can be coached. One of my biggest frustrations with him actually is that he takes half a second too long to get the ball out of his feet and move it on. He labours a pass and then plays the ball too slowly, which then allows the opposition to close down the full back or whoever he is playing it too.

I actually think he does have good composure and is a good footballer for a centre half, but sometimes the options aren’t great for him and he is forced to do that awful punt upfield which he isn’t good at as it’s a bit aimless.

Concentration and composure and he’s a very good defender in my book. But it’s a case of so near yet so far.

He doesn't make many errors for England and that is because he has better plays around him especially in the DM area. Our midfield is so weak defensively that we come under enormous pressure at the back. Honestly I don't think Mings is the problem, he's one of our best players who could definitely play in a top 6 team.