The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 113 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Sanson should have put the ball into touch just as Tyrone is now sensibly doing more often. No one else to blame there. However, we do let too many goals in and our central defence isn’t strong enough, Neither Mings nor Konsa are dominant in the air enough for me, it’s a combination thing. Mings has improved a lot but the pairing isn’t secure enough for whatever reason. Axel was another one in the same mould. In terms of aerial power at both ends of the pitch Hause is the man but he is not as good a player on the deck as Mings or Konsa. I would expect us to bring someone new in if and when the right person is available.

Amazing , 42,000 people making a noise at Villa park yet we can hear what Mings is shouting enough to say he doesn’t know what he is shouting about.

Sanson should have put the ball into touch

In Sanson’s defence, he’s expected to try and pass that ball to a player. We’ve played out front the back for a long time, a bit too slowly under Smith in my opinion, we move the ball quicker under Stevie G but we do pass it out.

If he had just booted it out of play we would’ve all been saying “why didn’t he play a simple ball back to Mings?” as he would’ve given possession away (albeit a throw in), 30 yards from our goal.

Amazing , 42,000 people making a noise at Villa park yet we can hear what Mings is shouting enough to say he doesn’t know what he is shouting about.
He's shouting out then dropping back himself, I'm deaf in one ear and I can hear his big gob and that's without my hearing aid. He needs to focus on his game

In Sanson’s defence, he’s expected to try and pass that ball to a player. We’ve played out front the back for a long time, a bit too slowly under Smith in my opinion, we move the ball quicker under Stevie G but we do pass it out.

If he had just booted it out of play we would’ve all been saying “why didn’t he play a simple ball back to Mings?” as he would’ve given possession away (albeit a throw in), 30 yards from our goal.
True, hindsight is everything i suppose. It all depends though on the relative difficulty and danger of the pass compared to passing it into touch after receiving a poor ball. In my opinion there are some occasions when if in doubt, kick it out come into play and this was one of those.

I 100% agree that Mings isn't perfect, and that his mistakes do always seem to be high profile ones/magnified. I also agree with @Villan57 that he always seems to be playing everyone onside because he drops deep too much.
Having said all that, the best illustration of his value to the Villa can be seen by looking at Everton Football Club. Talk to anyone who follows them and they will tell you that the lack of on-pitch leadership at that club is a massive problem. They keep changing managers and the problems stay the same. They would give their right arm for a Mings type on the park. Not just a very good defender, but one who will organize, dish out a bollocking when needed and keep talking through the game. He may not always be on-point, but it's far better than having nobody out there who is prepared to hold others accountable and keep the shape of the team.

I 100% agree that Mings isn't perfect, and that his mistakes do always seem to be high profile ones/magnified. I also agree with @Villan57 that he always seems to be playing everyone onside because he drops deep too much.
Having said all that, the best illustration of his value to the Villa can be seen by looking at Everton Football Club. Talk to anyone who follows them and they will tell you that the lack of on-pitch leadership at that club is a massive problem. They keep changing managers and the problems stay the same. They would give their right arm for a Mings type on the park. Not just a very good defender, but one who will organize, dish out a bollocking when needed and keep talking through the game. He may not always be on-point, but it's far better than having nobody out there who is prepared to hold others accountable and keep the shape of the team.
£30m and I'll drive him to Everton. Like I said and you've agreed how can you lead then drop off and play everyone onside, He's shouting "OUT" then dropping deep the other comes out.
He's been back to the old Mings under SG so he's much better but he's not as good as some think and he's not as bad as I think is probably the truth.
He's no Mason Holgate for sure but he's no VVD either

£30m and I'll drive him to Everton. Like I said and you've agreed how can you lead then drop off and play everyone onside, He's shouting "OUT" then dropping deep the other comes out.
He's been back to the old Mings under SG so he's much better but he's not as good as some think and he's not as bad as I think is probably the truth.
He's no Mason Holgate for sure but he's no VVD either
And yet you'd sell him for the amount of money we'd probably have to pay for someone like Holgate?

And yet you'd sell him for the amount of money we'd probably have to pay for someone like Holgate?
No 30m for him at his age is a fair price, Holgate won't even get another PL club.
We take the piss out of Harry Mcguire but he's twice the player Mings is much as we all love to mock him, Ake at City is a better player and can't get a game for them to ask any Bournemouth fan who they'd rather have back Mings or Ake.
Mings was brilliant for us in the Championship but there are better CB about

No 30m for him at his age is a fair price, Holgate won't even get another PL club.
We take the piss out of Harry Mcguire but he's twice the player Mings is much as we all love to mock him, Ake at City is a better player and can't get a game for them to ask any Bournemouth fan who they'd rather have back Mings or Ake.
Mings was brilliant for us in the Championship but there are better CB about
Not denying there's probably better players, but what Mings does isn't just about his individual ability. And I'd hazard a guess that our staff are aware and will want to upgrade as time goes by, but as of today, he is the only proper vocal leader in that team, and those types are few and far between. Emi is quiet, Konsa is a church mouse, as is Hause. McGinn might be the only other vocal player in the side.

You can only go by how many goals we concede and while Smith had us as tight as a gnats chuff after lockdown, we've shipped far to many goals this season (many via individual errors). Either stop leaking goals or we replace you (when the right player becomes available). Nobody has a cast iron contract that allows them to play for Aston Villa - and I rate Mings highly, like a lot of the stuff he does. Sort that shit out guys, it was an embarrassment on Saturday evening. (can you guess I'm still not over it :ROFLMAO:).

If we are looking to replace a CB who is rated enough by 2 club managers to play as first choice over 3 Premier league seasons and to be regularly part of an England squad . And rated by the England set up enough to be the go to CB when the first choice wasn't available at a major tournament then I'm definately in.

Because to improve on that will mean we will be needing to spend big bucks again. And big bucks mean better quality and upping our transfer level again (like with Coutinho). Jobs a good un.

A good Tyrone Mings origin story if you are bored and want something to read.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2022/Feb/03/tyrone-mings-grassroots-story-20220203
I think he hit the nail on the head when he said he was worrying too much about everyone else and not on his own performances. Many on here have alluded to the fact that he spent plenty of time shouting when his own performances weren't up to scratch. Leadership is multi-faceted, but one thing is certain, a footballer has to be able to back up his words with performances, especially as a captain. Without that you're just an empty voice.
It also came through loud and clear that being dropped was what gave him the incentive and drive to get his focus right. Ironically it was a decision that probably cost Dean Smith his job (at very least it was a hard nail in the coffin).
With the recruitment of Gerrard you could say it was the both the best and the worst decision that Dean Smith made as Villa manager.

Too much chat - concentrate on playing football. Had his usual costly error tonight and was poor - just show us you can be a decent premiership defender and consistent - don’t want to hear about how you were scapegoat for the last manager.

Smith was right to drop him. Mings comments say it all. He wasn't a scapegoat, he might think he is irreplaceable, tonight proved he isn't.

Tonight, 3 goals, you could say he (and Konsa who hasn't pushed on this season at all) was a let down for all of them.