The Tottenham Project - The Postecoglou Edition | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Tottenham Project - The Postecoglou Edition

Ange Postecoglou on James Maddison and whether another game in quick succession of matches could help him following his injury:

“Yeah look potentially and with Madders, we've had a few in that boat and probably us as a team it has felt like a bit of a stuttering campaign.”

”We've never really got into any sort of flow apart from the first 10 games but that's part of the challenge.”

”Whether it's Madders or other players, there are very few that have had a clear run all year and that's the challenge before us now with nine games to go to try and finish the season strong. It's a good challenge tomorrow night against a very good team.”

Ange Postecoglou on if Richarlison is now at the stage in his recovery from injury where he’s back in contention to start games:“Yeah, yeah, he was much better after the game and he felt a lot better. He trained yesterday and he'll train this afternoon. He feels good now.”

“We want to finish the season strong and keep building on the foundation of being a team that hopefully in 12 months' time people are looking at us differently and talking about us differently.”

”To do that it can't just be about where you finish and how many points you get, it's got to be more than that.”

Obviously if we finish strong then we'll finish in a decent position and we'll see where that takes us.”

Ange Postecoglou Timo Werner:"In terms of his future, like most players, the decisions will be made at the appropriate time. I think he's been a great signing.””He's been a really important part of our structure and I think he can also keep improving."

The most relevant thing is what Gary Neville said. It is also about what the other teams do financially.

Yeah, but we are catching up FAST. Also, the lot of them are still focussing on Levy. Neville and Carragher are shallow. How uninformed can you be?

Last edited:
Yeah, but we are catching up FAST. Also, the lot of them are still focussing on Levy. Neville and Carragher are shallow. How uninformed can you be?

Well I see them slightly differently. Carragher is thick as shit and shouldn't be anywhere near the media, even before the disgraceful spitting incident. Neville is actually quite smart, but doesn't use his intelligence as well as he should in football punditry. He's also a smart businessman that actually stood up to be counted in COVID. Unfortunately, his ego needs managing nowadays.

Both these guys should know the difference between old Spurs and new Spurs. It's actually the current difference between Liverpool and Utd. John Henry and FSG redesigned that club from top to bottom. They set Klopp up for success by examining every role required for success and even had a c-level trans-Atlantic appointment in the early days to keep FSG and LFC connected. That meant that the football operations run smoothly. They bought well, sold well and invested heavily in their academy. Alongside that was the stadium redevelopment which is still happening today. Compare Utd's last period and they've been arguing at the board room and having their pants pulled down on multiple big signings. What is left is a mess, and Ratcliffe knows it.

I'm actually OK that Levy and our club are reminded in this way that confidence is low in us winning the big trophies. It's a reminder to Levy to stay out of an area where he doesn't have a natural football DNA to be valuable. So let others do it and earn your plaudits that way. It's why he messed up in the past so much.

I'm actually OK that Levy and our club are reminded in this way that confidence is low in us winning the big trophies. It's a reminder to Levy to stay out of an area where he doesn't have a natural football DNA to be valuable. So let others do it and earn your plaudits that way. It's why he messed up in the past so much.

Great post Muttley in its entirety but this is an absolutely brilliant point.

Well I see them slightly differently. Carragher is thick as shit and shouldn't be anywhere near the media, even before the disgraceful spitting incident. Neville is actually quite smart, but doesn't use his intelligence as well as he should in football punditry. He's also a smart businessman that actually stood up to be counted in COVID. Unfortunately, his ego needs managing nowadays.

Both these guys should know the difference between old Spurs and new Spurs. It's actually the current difference between Liverpool and Utd. John Henry and FSG redesigned that club from top to bottom. They set Klopp up for success by examining every role required for success and even had a c-level trans-Atlantic appointment in the early days to keep FSG and LFC connected. That meant that the football operations run smoothly. They bought well, sold well and invested heavily in their academy. Alongside that was the stadium redevelopment which is still happening today. Compare Utd's last period and they've been arguing at the board room and having their pants pulled down on multiple big signings. What is left is a mess, and Ratcliffe knows it.

Great post Muttley in its entirety but this is an absolutely brilliant point.
Fully agree 80, an excellent post Muttley. If we can replicate over the next five years what Liverpool have done over the last five, we'll be doing very nicely.

I keep going back to Poch having many dull moments in his first season, we would spend 90% of a game camped outside of an opponents box, passing back, side, etc. I remember seeing us getting countered constantly and screaming at the TV, berating him for how clueless we looked!

Here's a funny fact for you though - do you know how many goals we've conceded from breakaway counter attacks this season? TWO!

For all of the kamikaze defending we're doing and playing with only 2 CBs, we're incredibly hard to score against on the breakaways, largely down to VDV I'd presume.

I keep going back to Poch having many dull moments in his first season, we would spend 90% of a game camped outside of an opponents box, passing back, side, etc. I remember seeing us getting countered constantly and screaming at the TV, berating him for how clueless we looked!

Here's a funny fact for you though - do you know how many goals we've conceded from breakaway counter attacks this season? TWO!

For all of the kamikaze defending we're doing and playing with only 2 CBs, we're incredibly hard to score against on the breakaways, largely down to VDV I'd presume.
And Venom, more so probably. There is also the corners that we are forced to concede some of which have led to goals.

It's impossible not to like him. He's like a breath of fresh air with his straight talking, no BS approach to the game.
I'm still torn at this stage as to whether he simply talks a good game, or whether there is real substance in what he has to say. Likeable he most certainly is though, if he produces results to match his charisma over a period of time, he will become a major player within football generally.

A breath of fresh air has been said of Angie, for me more like a storm! shock waves abound! I luv it!

He to me is a real geezer, say's it as it is! just like every Aussie I ave ever met during my service years.

He doesn't give it the big I am!

I really believe the good times are a coming to us!

Come On You Arnie, thanks from me and many others for giving us our Spurs back, yes there are ups n downs, but where else isn't there this scenario. COYS

I'm still torn at this stage as to whether he simply talks a good game, or whether there is real substance in what he has to say. Likeable he most certainly is though, if he produces results to match his charisma over a period of time, he will become a major player within football generally.
History would tell us otherwise.

Everybody knew Conte was an emotional character & that Maureen left scorched earth in his wake. What fooled most with regards to Maureen was his prolonged sabbatical & subsequent change of heart, well that's what we were all led to believe.

Ange may not be the most sophisticated of coaches but he's learning fast. He's a smart guy, that much is clearly apparent & he hasn't got to his standing without coming up with the goods.

Personally i was dead set against his appointment however on reflection there's a lot of good that's come out of it. Yeah I'm not his biggest fan footballing wise but as i'm so often reminded, we are a work in progress.

History would tell us otherwise.

Everybody knew Conte was an emotional character & that Maureen left scorched earth in his wake. What fooled most with regards to Maureen was his prolonged sabbatical & subsequent change of heart, well that's what we were all led to believe.

Ange may not be the most sophisticated of coaches but he's learning fast. He's a smart guy, that much is clearly apparent & he hasn't got to his standing without coming up with the goods.

Personally i was dead set against his appointment however on reflection there's a lot of good that's come out of it. Yeah I'm not his biggest fan footballing wise but as i'm so often reminded, we are a work in progress.
We can't play the intricate passing game required for his system with the current crop of players, it's that simple. To crack open teams like Spam, we'll need the likes of Foden, Bernado Silva, Grealish, Madders, prime Eriksen, Bale, etc. We just don't have that right now.

On the break we look devastating, so that's a fantastic plan A against certain teams, then plan B to bring on the ballers. It's a work in progress