The Testimonial | Vital Football

The Testimonial

USA Imp

Vital Squad Member
Something you hardly see in the modern era of footy. The testimonial. I remember standing around outside the players entrance with my autograph book for many seasons in my early teens, just me and some other snotty nosed kid getting autographs at every home (and reserve) game. When the big names came to play in testimonials there would be about 30 of us seeking out the stars.

I remember some but I know I’m missing some as well.

Nobby Lawton - Imps V All Stars XI - 1972
Trevor Meath - Imps All Stars V Crystal Palace – 1972
John Kennedy & George Peden - Imps V Chelsea - 1973
Terry Heath – Imps V Ipswich - 1976
Bert Loxley – Imps V Forrest -1980
Grant Brown – Imps V Middlesbrough - 2000
Lee Beavers – Imps V Walsall - 2017

Not a testimonial but a memorial / benefit. Keith Alexander XI V All Stars XI 2010

Attachments

• TM2.jpg
    TM2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8
  • LCFC V CFC.jpg
    LCFC V CFC.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TM.jpg
    TM.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TH.jpg
    TH.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • NL.jpg
    NL.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • BL2.jpg
    BL2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BL.jpg
    BL.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 5
  • KA.jpg
    KA.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 8
They get paid shed loads more and are probably all insured nowadays. No reason for testimonials.

There was a benefit match for Percy Freeman in May 1977 v Sheffield United in which he played and scored himself.

Dave Smith - 'Lincoln City Record Breakers' v Watford in May 1979:

Dave Smith Testimonial.jpg

Jackson wasn't it? Didn't get a one year contract extension even though he was still plenty good enough.
Indeed
Started the decline to non-league did Jackson, an ego far bigger than his ability to manage

Last edited:
I know I should remember but will need some help from you stating wizards on here. Didn't we have a testimonial for an injured player in the 70's I think called John Harrison or similar? Against Sheff Utd or possibly Sunderland? I think he had a career ending injury?
If I am totally wrong forgive me I have had a lousy nights sleep and been up since 4 so may be hallucinating.
On a totally different tack talking about Steve Sims perhaps we should start a thread on the best player ever born in Lincoln. Steve was pretty good I remember playing against him for Lincoln Grammar Ist 11 against the City School. Mostly made up of 18 /17 year old six formers I was only 16 but he was possibly only 14/15 at the time but he was by far the best and strongest player on the pitch.

There is a technical distinction between a testimonial (awarded after 10 years service) and a benefit match (usually awarded following serious injury).

Other benefit/testimonial matches for individual players were:
Roger Holmes v International Club XI, May 1966
John Harrison (a young player whose career was ended by injury) v All Star XI, April 1970
Roger Holmes v Lincoln City Old Stars (including Andy Graver), April 1971

The Phil Neale game (September 1984) was Phil Neale's XI v Watford

The Alan Roberts game v Sheffield United was in April 1991

I know I should remember but will need some help from you stating wizards on here. Didn't we have a testimonial for an injured player in the 70's I think called John Harrison or similar? Against Sheff Utd or possibly Sunderland? I think he had a career ending injury?
If I am totally wrong forgive me I have had a lousy nights sleep and been up since 4 so may be hallucinating.
On a totally different tack talking about Steve Sims perhaps we should start a thread on the best player ever born in Lincoln. Steve was pretty good I remember playing against him for Lincoln Grammar Ist 11 against the City School. Mostly made up of 18 /17 year old six formers I was only 16 but he was possibly only 14/15 at the time but he was by far the best and strongest player on the pitch.
I was at the John Harrison benefit game v All Star XI 1970.

I was at Bert linnicors testimonial held at Rustons. At least I think it was his.
There were lots of top names playing or present that day. Lorimar and yorath doing autographs. Storey Moore, Terry hennesey, can’t remember others I was a bit young.

They get paid shed loads more and are probably all insured nowadays. No reason for testimonials.
Very few players play for the same team for long enough. Even Beavers had to do it in two stages and have a career ending injury.

Jackson wasn't it? Didn't get a one year contract extension even though he was still plenty good enough.
Jackson thought Marriott was too small from memory, wanted a dominant 6' 4" keeper, not an under 6' one.

I think Marriott had the last laugh, 5 more years and 200+ appearances at Mansfield after he left us, along with an FA Trophy final appearance and a National League winners medal.

Excelled for Mansfield against Liverpool with fine saves from Sturridge, Shelvey and Suarez (only for the little cheat to score from a hand ball').