The Tactics Board | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Tactics Board

Here's my starting 11 against Porto ...
Ederson, Walker, Dias, Ake, Cancelo, Gudongan. Bubblegum, Phil, Sterling, Torres, Kun
I'd like to see Bernardo play a bit deeper, because the Dog tends to hold up play too much.

Here's my starting 11 against Porto ...
Ederson, Walker, Dias, Ake, Cancelo, Gudongan. Bubblegum, Phil, Sterling, Torres, Kun
I'd like to see Bernardo play a bit deeper, because the Dog tends to hold up play too much.
We differ on this BE I like him more forward, he has fast feet and is a better attacker than defender, not sure Foden has found the right position yet, I think the right hand side, but the only thing is that there are too many like players each getting in the way, so I think Foden might not get a game in favour or our tactical captain

West Ham Premier League

Ederson Cancelo Ake Dias Laporte Gundogan Foden De Bruyne Torres Sterling Aguero

Stones E Garcia Walker Rodri B Silva Mahrez

Marseille CL away

Ederson Walker Zinchenko Dias Laporte Rodri Gundogan Foden De Bruyne Torres Sterling

Cancelo Stones E Garcia B Silva Mahrez Palmer
10 subs allowed, so Doyle Nmecha Harwood-Bellis Bernabe

Sheffield United PL away

Ederson Walker Zinchenko Dias Laporte Rodri B Silva Foden De Bruyne Torres Sterling

Cancelo Stones E Garcia Gundogan Mahrez Palmer

Olympiakos CL home

Ederson Walker Zinchenko Dias Ake Gundogan Foden B Silva De Bruyne Sterling Torres

Cancelo Stones Laporte Rodri Mahrez G Jesus

Suspect the other four will be E Garcia Harwood-Bellis Doyle Palmer

Liverpool PL home

Ederson Walker Cancelo Dias Laporte Rodri Gundogan De Bruyne Torres Sterling
G Jesus

Zinchenko Ake Stones Mahrez Foden B Silva

Tottenham Hotspur PL away

Ederson Walker Cancelo Dias Laporte Rodri Gundogan De Bruyne Foden Torres
G Jesus

Zinchenko Stones B Silva Mahrez Sterling Aguero

After yesterday’s performance some thoughts.......

We are way too predictable now. The analysis teams at other clubs have done their homework and are providing their clubs with defensive strategies which are cutting out our previously successful attacks.

Pep needs some serious support - someone in his ear to help him manage games better. Yesterday was crying out for a change in our personnel for several minutes before the second goal went in - from Spur’s substitute. Pep was not proactive and it cost us.

I have been one of Mahrez’s harshest critics. Often it feels like he is a total passenger .......BUT I am willing to permit that his natural game has been stifled by Pep’s overall tactical approach. Son’s goal yesterday was more typical of how Mahrez would score at Leicester - the ball moved forward quickly and with him being able to move into space created by a team mate. Much as he drives me up the wall I can see that he could be more effective if we had more urgency. (That said he could still do better and be LESS FRIGGING PREDICTABLE himself).

After yesterday’s performance some thoughts.......

We are way too predictable now. The analysis teams at other clubs have done their homework and are providing their clubs with defensive strategies which are cutting out our previously successful attacks.

Pep needs some serious support - someone in his ear to help him manage games better. Yesterday was crying out for a change in our personnel for several minutes before the second goal went in - from Spur’s substitute. Pep was not proactive and it cost us.

I have been one of Mahrez’s harshest critics. Often it feels like he is a total passenger .......BUT I am willing to permit that his natural game has been stifled by Pep’s overall tactical approach. Son’s goal yesterday was more typical of how Mahrez would score at Leicester - the ball moved forward quickly and with him being able to move into space created by a team mate. Much as he drives me up the wall I can see that he could be more effective if we had more urgency. (That said he could still do better and be LESS FRIGGING PREDICTABLE himself).
We are really missing Merlin and Ferna, never mind Kun. We lack drive through the middle and look like a team in decline. Our current back 5 including the goalie are adequate and Mendy has started training who gives us a bit of umph raiding down the left. Picking on Mahrez, who has always been selfish is only part of our problems, as you say teams have worked us out. Son who is the leauge top scorer spent most of the game as right wing back. However Moaning Maureen has always played percentage pragmatic boring football and is bound to get his game plan played out to perfection sometimes. Head to head, Pep has a dam good record against him, if our ''goal '' had counted, just maybe the result would have been different. We can make top four still, so onward and upward.

More and more teams aren’t committing players forward to press us. They retreat to the halfway line back into their disciplined banks of defenders and we simply stroll the ball slowly out of defence towards them......and then proceed to pass it sideways endlessly......but there is no one now exploiting the “half spaces” the way that DS21 did

All the posts above more or less echo what I was going to post originally in the Spurs post match thread, so it's good to see them here in the one area.

I think the graphic Sky posted yesterday before the start of the second half is telling, the fact that the average positions of the Spurs XI was entirely in their own half.

All our opponents, with the exception of Liverpool, have adopted this - it just seems to me that Leicester and Spurs have had that extra touch of quality to maximize their chances to score.

I take a small amount of solace in that City start out to win games, the rest seem to just try and avoid defeat.

It will be interesting to see what Leicester today, against Liverpool, adopt as their tactics against them. It was also pointed out in commentary last night that Spurs are due to also play Liverpool shortly, so the same question applies to that game as well.