The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 64 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

He's being played out of position imho. More or less a full back at the moment.

Surely his strength is 30 yards further forward making runs into the box.

Puzzles me why he is being played this way.
Yes, reminds me of Liverpool where Milner and Henderson drop in to cover TAA and Robertson. Fine for the, but as you say SJM is not that type of player.

I think the emergence of JJ as the burst into the box penetrative midfielder is the reason Mcginn is playing deeper.

We can't have the whole team bursting forward.

JJ's emergence has definitely had a negative impact on Mcginn.

I think the emergence of JJ as the burst into the box penetrative midfielder is the reason Mcginn is playing deeper.

Tell Cash not to push on then and let SJM do that role. I know who I'd rather have going forward, and that's not to decry Cash.

I think it's quite simple, he either plays there or he's on the bench because he's not better than Buendia Ramsey Coutinho Chuck etc going forwards

...and this is football isn't it. Ramsay looks better going forward than McGinn ever has for us. It's now a case of adapt or go for McGinn I think.

Square peg in a round hole. He is not a right back.

On the same page as you. Tell Cash to play right back and right back only, and tell SJM to own that right hand side of midfield.

McGinn is poor playing so deep, we know he’s a sloppy passer of the ball and his defensive radar isn’t always working for me.

He’s an all action player, he needs to be higher up being the next level of pressing after the forwards. He’s wasted sitting on the toes of the right back then looking up with the ball closer to our goal than the oppos, he’s also a bit suspect there too.