The Summer transfers/rumours thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Summer transfers/rumours thread

We aren’t in a position to negotiate for silly transfer fees. From all the media reports it seems like not selling isn’t actually an option, and other clubs know this so it’s just a case of what is the most we can force another side into. We won’t get more than £10m for Chester and we will be lucky to get £20m for Grealish.

Not selling actually is an option. There are currently 5 or more Championship clubs said to have broken FFP this year; why not us?

If sales take place it doesn't have to be in this transfer window; the FFP estimates aren't done until February 2019; we can easily wait until the January 2019 transfer window.

Selling Jack might make sense; selling Chester doesn't. We owe Baggies money still, at a guess about £3m, so a £9m fee drops to £6m. No doubt the buying club will want to spread the fee, so we might get £3m this year which goes straight to Baggies. Crazy.

The thing driving this isn't FFP, it's Xia's lack of money. But selling Chester won't help.

Well yes I do wonder why we bought him knowing (or at least I hope we knew) how he played . Perhaps he just hasn't been as good for us as he was at Brentford , I remember a player called Tommy Craig in the late 70's . Top player for Newcastle and we bought him for big money and it just never happened for him at Villa and he looked awful. That was with Lord Ron in charge as well.
Tommy Craig - who can forget him! He was to the 1970's what Didier Six was to the 1980's and Ivo Stas to the 90's.....
:eek!::eek!::eek!:

I see the big headline on "Birmingham Live" today is Libor Kozak going from one club to another in Serie B. Wouldn't they be better off posting a headline like: "We can't be arsed to generate any content today but we did find this on twitter for those of you that don't have twitter."

Didn't Carew miss a load of sitters followed by a skying a penalty after which they immediately went up the pitch and scored. To be fair the real moment where everything turned was when we signed heskey. I blame him for all of this.

Correct

He's made 41 Premier League appearances in the past 4 years. He can't be that bad.

Some people seriously need to lower their expectations.

We know we're working with loans and Free's. Who do you expect to get?

If Marney comes in for 15k and week and we can get rid of Jedi and Whelan and save 70k per week, then it's job done I'm afraid.

I'm sure he's a decent player Deano, especially at this level, but it's his age is the concern.

But yeah, if it's a case of replacing like for like and lowering the wage bill, it makes sense. We don't need 3 old timers in midfield.

He was certainly well loved by the Burnley crowd, and he'd have played more but for a ACL I think? Either way he was out for ages and when he came back fit they'd signed replacements so he was on a hiding to nothing.

Dear Mr Bruce, stop turning Aston Villa into Hull City!!! We are Aston Villa, we are a bigger club than Hull City, have a bigger fanbase than Hull City, a bigger stadium than Hull City. This is Aston Villa, founding member club of the English Football League, we have won more trophies than Hull City will ever hope to do. We won the European Cup a competition Hull City will never get in to. Stop bringing old Tigers who are not and never will be to the standard we at Aston Villa expect, even if we are one step away from administration we should still have a standards and uphold them. There are players out there who aren't ex Hull City

It isn't just Bruce.
It's something in the DNA of the club.
We have a centre forward who thrives on crosses and we sell our wingers. Then we buy wingers when we have a forward who thrives on passes from centre midfield.

Dear Mr Bruce, stop turning Aston Villa into Hull City!!!

I don't think you can blame Bruce.

He has no money. He has to deal with that, so is drawing on his contacts in the game.

Would it be ok to buy a 34 year old from Watford who he doesn't know, rather than someone he's worked with before? Is it just the Hull link you don't like?

It's actually ironic. Bruce has never been in more of a position of power as manager. Xia knows he cannot say no to him in effect or he walks (in relation to McCormack chats).

Problem is Bruce can't ask for anything because Xia's fucked.

What worries me a bit is that he doesn't seem to have confidence in the players he's got, and I'm sure they're not that bad. He stumbled on Hourihane being OK by accident. Barney surprised him by doing a good job in his normal position of central midfield rather than stuck out on the wing. I think we need a smaller squad, and we've already got a good selection of players we can use. Let's use them.