The Summer transfers/rumours thread | Page 51 | Vital Football

The Summer transfers/rumours thread

Birmingham Mail saying its Jordan Hugill we've enquired about. Looked a decent striker for Preston, think he scored a couple at VP. Not really had a chance at West Ham

The Sun say we're in for both Hugill and also Nick Powell at Wigan.

Think all this is pinch of salt time.... we'll be linked to every available striker over the next 2 weeks.

We do give him the freedom of the pitch though.

I wonder if he looks so good against other teams .

How many times have we said that this guy is the thing missing from our static midfield. I would swap Show pony stupid hair even spells his name in a twatish way Henri (its fucking HENRY you idiot) Lansbury for Woods in a heart beat .

Ryan Woods looked good against other teams when I watched them. The ginger Pirlo. Premier clubs interested in him though.

Reassuring links coming out this evening. Would much rather have British players than random loaned foreigners from Mendes who would only be here for themselves. If Powell and Hugill join it means Bruce is in charge of transfers and players like that will truly appreciate playing for this club.

The Sun say we're in for both Hugill and also Nick Powell at Wigan.

Think all this is pinch of salt time.... we'll be linked to every available striker over the next 2 weeks.

Wigan turned down a £10m+ offer for Nick Powell in January from a Prem club.
As our new owners have only allowed Bruce to go for cheap transfers and loans, I'd say that rules him out.
Other than that I'd welcome him as attacking midfielder/second striker.

The real problems we have are at the other end of the pitch, we only have two senior central defenders and have been playing a three man back-line all pre-season. So we need at least one central defender and an experienced keeper.

News from the B'ham City camp is that David Stockdale is in Gary Monk's bomb squad, told he's not wanted and forced to train with the kids. Stockdale is a decent experienced keeper at this level. We could do worse.

Granted we do need reinforcements up front....I think we should have an eye on centre back position. I'm not 100% confident in jedinak or elphick as first choice with Chester. Especially if Bruce plans on 3-5-2 formation. Maybe get tuanzabe back on loan? Hard to think of other premiership centre back fringe players that would be willing to drop a division.

Would definitely take Snodgrass back, he seems like decent character that gets a bit of togetherness in the team which is priceless. And his 'buying' fouls to earn free kicks was smart (id hate a player doing that against us though)

People mentioning ings as a possibility, think Liverpool are looking for 20m for him so rule that out. Don't know if Austin would drop a division, thought of Jon Walters on a free but then saw how old he was so I've changed my mind!

If possible I'd much prefer players we can buy and get them settled into the club and help build up some team spirit and bonding for the future. It has to be better than lots of loan players who know they are temporary and won't be hanging around.

My oh my, how things have changed at Villa Park in only a week and regardless of how you feel about it, money talks in football these days and our new owners sure have plenty of that!

It's the first time in ages I am optimistic about the long-term future of Aston Villa.

If possible I'd much prefer players we can buy and get them settled into the club and help build up some team spirit and bonding for the future. It has to be better than lots of loan players who know they are temporary and won't be hanging around.

My oh my, how things have changed at Villa Park in only a week and regardless of how you feel about it, money talks in football these days and our new owners sure have plenty of that!

It's the first time in ages I am optimistic about the long-term future of Aston Villa.

I can't be optimistic yet TH, I'll have to wait and see whats built for the long-term, if anything.

does any one know what happened to the Rangers player Windass we were linked with last week?, sorry if I spelt his name wrong before the spelling police hit me up.
cracking player.

Jonny Walters on a free might not be a bad shout Chieftoast. Old yes but a clever player and a leader. Could do a job,versatile and would be great to have around the squad.

Quite a long shot but as city get desperate I think there is a chance we could get Hart on loan. I would say he wants to be first choice and stay in premiership. He’s not going to get both of those but may see Villa as an option to be first choice and build his career (and confidence) back with a route to premiership. City would have to cover a significant part of wages but I think it’s worth exploring.

We were linked with Walters last season and I hated the idea then. Nothings changed. No pace, no skill, not a goalscorer, no creativity. But he seems like he's a good bloke so let's give him 20k a week to block a few more youngsters. No thanks.

Beware TH, we are Villa. Optimism is a sure sign there's some catastrophe around the corner. Don't know what, but it'll be a shocker :grinning:

Having been on the rollercoaster ride that is Aston Villa for decades now then yes, I know what you mean MTG and I've seen it all.

No harm though at the moment in remaining optimistic as life always looks better with a glass half full rather than half empty.

However, I'm not kidding myself and my feet remain firmly on the ground and like everything else in life, time will tell us?

Anyway, back on topic and it's a firm no from me regarding Walters for all the reasons that JW1985 said above.

Last edited: