The Summer Transfer Window - Your Views In 150 Words? | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Window - Your Views In 150 Words?

So on reflection I am calm about the transfer window dealings. A bit sad for Virtue that his crucial signing has been downgraded by stupid imps fans saying Jez George is an imbecile.
Sad that my favourite Scully has gone, but hopefully more good business for the club maybe even a record sale, I would certainly hope so. We did not need a Scully replacement as we have plenty in the building. We will miss his goals, but with Mandriou, Vernam, Diamond and Garrick there are goals, pace and flair. Now we also have the midfield anchor to challenge Sorensen. My only concern is cf. We only have Hopper, and House who is not like for like. I know some of the wide men can play through the middle, but we would have to play in a completely different way. If Hopper gets injured again, I would be worried. Still not sure letting Kendall go if we thought Scully was off is the most sensible plan. Also would have preferred another target man as back up.
Will stick my neck out and say we will be fine, comfortably lower mid table. Looking forward to the return of the Monster, actually seeing Mandriou on the pitch and plenty more imps games for Poole. UTI

Been an interesting Summer Transfer Window, not going to say just yet if it has been a successful one or not, unlike a few doom and gloom merchants, who think that the recruitment team are the ones who should be going rather than the players themselves.
Scully, I think is a major blow, but it seemed clear that his head had been turned, and better to get a fee for him, than him go for nothing.
What I would like to know is why oh why do we always seem to sign crocked players, who will take time to come into the team - the issue being, if the team is performing well, who loses out to the player, Mandriou been the main one.
We have what looks like a Diamond in Diamond, but it's only been one game, that was effectively against a poor reserve Barnsley team, in a cup competition that not too many clubs care about. We shall see if he is any good a full on competitive games. If he is let's hope we have first refusal on a permanent move.
Virtue, coming in on loan, strengthens a supposedly weak midfield, but we haven't seen him play, and the game is not played on paper.
Rushworth is at the moment our best bit of business, along with Garrick both though loanee's again.
Vernam still needs time I think, and hasn't really shone too much, although maybe with Scully gone, he can show why we bought him.
Disappointments are probably O'Conner and Oakley-Booth, although the latter is improving a bit. Also Kendall going out on loan, was I think a mistake.
OK more than 150 words, but there was a lot to say.

Underwhelmed with the window overall …

… with wages saved due to Bridcutt, McGrandles and now Maguire off the books, and Scully sold (what a surprise it’s undisclosed) I’m not sure Mark Kennedy has been backed sufficiently in his first bash at EFL Tier 3 management. If Hopper gets injured we’re in big trouble but I still think there are 4 worse teams than us in the division so long as we keep Bishop & Garrick fit.

I am now more enthusiastic about our chances of a mid table finish than I was August 1st
However it is dependant on certain individuals (Some we have not seen) performing
Mondriou and Virtue could be 2 key additions or turn into run of the mill backups
If Diamond Vernam and Garrick perform we have more than enough to compensate for Scully going

Overall I think we are stronger providing they deliver and remain fit

Looking forward to seeing the team selection for next few games

As for Scully going , although he has scored a few he hasnt exactly been MOM each week. Good business to cash in. Will be following his progress and interested if he has a regular spot

Personally I am happy with the way the recruitment team do their business. They clearly identify players who could make money for the club by being sold on for a profit, and ensure we have replacements in the squad ahead of that time.

I'm confident too about how they identify players. They have had more successes than failures, have kept within the club's budget, and follow the model of recruiting players at an age that they can be sold on if a good offer comes in.

As regards this summer's work, we must remember that many of their signings take a long while to settle in - Poole, Bramall, Sorensen and Sanders for example - so I still have hopes that O'Connor and Oakley-Booth will up their game in due course.

A positive is that there were no offers for Poole. A slight negative is that we were so late in adding that much needed midfielder. I'm not overly bothered about not signing a deputy for Hopper - MK virtually said it wasn't a priority as he has plenty of others who can play in that position, albeit with a slight change in style.

So overall, I am not displeased. We can do some tweaks in January if weaknesses are identified by then. I also like that we haven't overloaded the squad with loan players who won't start and just fill the bench. I would much rather see Gallagher on the bench and getting minutes occasionally than some some championship youngster who is not good enough to start.

Still think we would have been relegated without McGrandles efforts last year so glad we have brought in a midfielder who could be somewhat similar. Sorensen and Sanders have done well and deserve to be around the first team but i feel their passing can go a bit astray when we are under pressure.
Agree it's the right time for Scully to try in a higher league. Will certainly miss his goals but he can inconsistent and fade out of games. The wide players brought in seem to be direct and pacy. Interesting to see how many goals Bishop has already scored and would expect to see even more goals coming from midfielders getting forward quickly into the box.
Looking forward to the Irish lad in midfield becoming available and showing what he can do.
Also agree we are light up front and concerned we are relying on Hopper which obviously isn't ideal with his injury record. Nevertheless good move for Kendall and the right one from the brief glimpses I had. Certainly think we need those midfielders to chip in with plenty of goals.
The defence will clearly be strengthened if we can get Walsh & Jackson fit. Walsh is such a terrific player just hope he can get a run of games. We do still look vulnerable down the flanks. Both the young full backs did well in their starts but looked raw, as expected, and we may well get exploited by the better teams.
Oh and the goalkeeper is terrific.

How much of other peoples money is it acceptable to spend to satisfy a fan base? The answer is probably ‘never enough’, especially after seeing some of the criticism over the last 12 hours. Maybe Dave from Glebe Park should stick his hand in his pocket and buy us a proven League One, 20 goal-a-season striker (who of course grow on trees and are falling over themselves to come to Lincoln)?

The club, rightly, seem to be cutting their cloth according to what they have, which incidentally still requires cash injections from the owners (that are invested as share issues and not loans or debt on the books). The fact that the likes of Wigan can spend like Steve Evans in Greggs a matter of months after nearly going bust shouldn’t be the benchmark for how Lincoln should operate.

How much of other peoples money is it acceptable to spend to satisfy a fan base? The answer is probably ‘never enough’, especially after seeing some of the criticism over the last 12 hours. Maybe Dave from Glebe Park should stick his hand in his pocket and buy us a proven League One, 20 goal-a-season striker (who of course grow on trees and are falling over themselves to come to Lincoln)?

The club, rightly, seem to be cutting their cloth according to what they have, which incidentally still requires cash injections from the owners (that are invested as share issues and not loans or debt on the books). The fact that the likes of Wigan can spend like Steve Evans in Greggs a matter of months after nearly going bust shouldn’t be the benchmark for how Lincoln should operate.
With businesses suffering along with the rest of us during this crisis. it is going to be more difficult for our investors to find the money to pump into the club so we have to understand that assets like Scully will have to be sold at times to keep the club rolling along.
His value now is more than it will be in January and better than nothing which it would have been next Sumner. It is the model that the club is using and this is an example of it working.

Mixed feelings really.

We brought some pace in Garrick , Vernam and Diamond which is the biggest positive for me as we missed that badly.

If our full backs improve quickly and centre backs all fit (massive IFS) we're fine in defence. I think.

Our midfield is weaker than last season. Not sure how good Virtue is but I know that Oakley Boothe isn't exactly that good (as it stands).
If Mandroiu plays there and has some quality we might be fine but short of one wide player.
If he plays wide then we are at least one CM short.
With injuries and bookings we might be struggling. Again..

As for Scully. Him going means we are losing lots of goals but better to sell now than let him go for free in few months time. We brought some quick wide players in so it's not the end of the world

My biggest worry and disappointment is lack of quality in No 9 role.
Hooper is very limited quality wise but still can give us plenty when fit. Leads the line,brings others to the game etc.
If he's injured though and most likely he will be at some point we are having only House and maybe Draper. Two inexperienced young lads and different types of players too.
That's not good enough.

Overall judgement obviously is out until we will see all players playing and we deeper into the season. One thing for sure, we are definitely one or two quality players short.

Not specifically on here, but it's amazing how many people still haven't recalibrated their brains to understand the financial landscape of L1 football (and football in general, particularly post Covid), forgetting that we're no longer one of the bigger fish in the smaller ponds of L2 and the NL.

Mixed feelings really.

We brought some pace in Garrick , Vernam and Diamond which is the biggest positive for me as we missed that badly.

If our full backs improve quickly and centre backs all fit (massive IFS) we're fine in defence. I think.

Our midfield is weaker than last season. Not sure how good Virtue is but I know that Oakley Boothe isn't exactly that good (as it stands).
If Mandroiu plays there and has some quality we might be fine but short of one wide player.

As for Scully. Him going means we are losing lots of goals but better to sell now than let him go for free in few months time. We brought some quick wide players in so it's not the end of the world

Hooper is very limited quality wise but still can give us plenty when fit. Leads the line,brings others to the game etc.
If he's injured though and most likely he will be at some point we are having only House and maybe Draper. Two inexperienced young lads and different types of players too.
That's not good enough.

Overall judgement obviously is out until we will see all players playing and we deeper into the season. One thing for sure, we are definitely one or two quality players short.

You've saved me the effort of writing anything. I would add that the keeper is excellent, and (big claim) could be the best since Naylor

Mixed feelings really.

That's not good enough.

Agree with the lack of cover for Hopper, but I would not say Hopper has a lack of quality. At our level you wouldn't find anyone better to play that role. If you want him to also be a 20 goal a season man, he would be in the championship.

I also disagree that our midfield is weaker than last season. The midfield last season was appalling. McGrandles helped keep it together, much to his frustration at times - waving his arms at Maguire and sometimes Bishop asking where they were.

This season there is again the lack of a quality passer (like Grant), but the effort and positional sense is way better than last season.

By position:-
Goalkeeper - Rushworth looks the best of recent loanees; loaning of Long looks sensible for his development leaving Wright as back up who has his flaws but potential as Barrows heroics showed. Verdict - excellent

Full backs - loss of BNC and Bramall means reliant on a currently misfiring TJ, or Poole at RB and Robson or Roughan at LB. Each has their strengths but Poole apart struggling for consistency. Benn clearly a project and a promising one. Verdict - missing a quality replacement for departures leaves us weaker.

Centre backs - Poole is better at CB but against a fit Walsh and Montsma? O'Connor has bags of commitment but lacks quality of the other 4 and I'm not convinced yet. Roughan and TJ offer options. Verdict - get and keep 3 quality CBs fit and we're good, otherwise a January signing essential.

Midfield - of 3 signings only 1 played so far. TOB clearly a work progress, no Fiorini and likely to be on bench more henceforward? Mandroiu sounds an exciting prospect but we need him on the pitch. Virtue should help bolster an area where weve been bullied too easily. Lost quality of Bridcutt but injuries reduced impact to zero. Verdict - Loss of McG, Fiorini and Maguire balanced by new signings and improvements from remaining players. Promising.

Wide forwards- Scully a big loss but Diamond through the door before he left. Garrick looks an upgrade on Whittaker, Vernam has qualities.
Verdict - good options to cover Scully's late move.

Striker- a position we struggle with as a club and reliant on Hopper again. Keep him fit with those wide forwards and well'll be ok, if not, House doesn't look a natural replacement..Kendall's loan makes sense for his development. Verdict - a big weakness, hope those free agent contacts remain good.

Overall verdict - the 'model's means a squad will always appear weaker at the end of each window. But there is quality and potential in the new recruits which includes MK. I think it's been a decent window, some missteps and clear weak areas but a lot of promise.

Agree with the lack of cover for Hopper, but I would not say Hopper has a lack of quality. At our level you wouldn't find anyone better to play that role. If you want him to also be a 20 goal a season man, he would be in the championship.

I also disagree that our midfield is weaker than last season. The midfield last season was appalling. McGrandles helped keep it together, much to his frustration at times - waving his arms at Maguire and sometimes Bishop asking where they were.

This season there is again the lack of a quality passer (like Grant), but the effort and positional sense is way better than last season.

Fiorini was that quality passer, especially in the second half of last season.
We have also lost another two good midfielders who can control the game in Bridcutt and MC Grandles. We didn't bring anyone in this mould in to replace them. Last game against Fleetwood was an example of how to NOT play in the middle after going 2-0 up...

As for Tom. I do love him. His tackle while laying on the pitch with his... head (also against Fleetwood) is exactly why. He is a hard working, brave and commited team player. Guy who you want to be on your side when there is a battle.

I have to or we have to be honest though. His football skills are very limited. Not good on the ball. Not that great in the air despite his size. Not great first touch. Not very quick. And after all not great finishing. I think it is fair to say he lacks quality.

Oh, and yes, I want my striker to score lots of goals..😉

In my humble opinion, I think we’ve built well during the transfer window. The recruitment team have identified players that nobody on this board had identified as a good addition. Likewise, we’re continuing with our business model, whether people like it or not. We’re giving players an opportunity to express themselves in a higher division, most clutched from lower the leagues, which means we’re not trying to pay already top wages from Championship failures.

Vernam and O’Connor raised eyebrows from L2 Bradford but have already showed both grit and determination when required. It appears Vernam is likely to be the set piece maestro that we’ve been needing since Jorge left. Though I’d agree not to his standard yet but there’s potential there.

My only complaint is Scully, a permanent player out for a fee and a loan filling his position. Yep, Diamond is good from what we’ve seen, but future wise we’re left with a gap come the end of the season when he returns to the Mackems.

I’m also left confused with Kendall going out to Sutton when he’s a poacher in the box that’s needed for the crosses and balls provided from the wings in Vernam and Garrick. I’m not sure House is that player yet.
We’re also hoping a lot from Mandriou, who has yet to kick a ball this season.

If everything comes off, potential is realised and Mandriou is as good as we hope, I think we’re good enough for the top half.

listening to Clive tonight I can understand the recruitment process. Wages in lg 1 have gone through the roof because of the top cubs over paying, only 4 of them can go up. Costs have shot up which impacts our budget. There is a need to improve both the infrastructure and the playing staff. I think we have some good new recruits and most importantly we have a better man manager and coach.

My View
Lincoln City are a very well run club for those of you who dont know the recruitement team spend weeks on each potential player signed or not
Some will gel some wont they can only do there due dilgence and hopefully it works ,
i think the recruiting team get some unfair criticism

Overall a decent window but we will see
Bramall and scully being sold to me represents good business
Mcquire cant really say but mutual so win win
The loans in look decent
The permanents hopefully prove their worth we havent seen much of house and nothing of Mandriou ? Benn i think will be a project
oconnor seems to have slotted in and will only get better
shame kendall went on loan yet i can see why , i have big expectations of him if he can step up

A lot has been said re scully . i think it was always on the cards yet i think goals will be spread around ,

the sooner some fans realise the board etc are not bottomless pits and maybe try to get some idea of what it takes to run the club the better

im sure mistakes are made but they are the same as us Human

All in All im positive

Jules sorry if over 150 words

I think we are a weaker team following the transfer window as I think players like Vernam and Diamond are not going to be as good as Scully IMO.

I can understand why Scully has been sold as that is the business model of the club.

TOB seems to offer little yet gets picked every week, Rushworth looks like the best signing of the lot a really reliable stopper.

I cannot understand we why have not got a loan from a PL club this season, Johnson,Rogers,NCB and Fiorini all improved for been at the club so their parent clubs could see the good work we had done.

Surely MK must have PL contacts or did he not want to go down this route and you would think clubs like Man City and Forest must have talent available to loan?