The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 115 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Buendia is a goer - but whose higher, adjusted to the country and has a contribution like him Melon?

Cantwell? Do we go old school and hope to reignite them ie Barkley again? A Willian?

Genuine question....are we hoping Traore develops 150% consistency? Chuk comes through and amazes or are we looking at fancy names from abroad?

Edit - didn't mean it that harsh by the way....but Buendia is exactly the sort of quality we want rather than banking on a wonderkid from the Swiss league for example.

Bit cliched this fancy names from abroad mantra. There are players out there. Spurs needed a left back so they spent 25 million on 24 yr old Reguilon , a Spanish international who had just played 30 odd times for Sevilla winning the europa league.
Leicester payed 32 million for ex Anderlecht, Monaco and World Cup 3rd place player Tielemans who is 24 yrs old. These players are next level and haven’t even got their clubs top 4 .Yet some think Norwich in the championship is the breeding ground for a push to top 6?. Personally I think there is a reality check needed as to what we need to push higher.

I'm sure there's a Leicester fan like you that said similar about signing Maddison

And where did Leicester finish these last 2 seasons ? .

And where have they finished since 2018 when they signed him ?

Did he start the FA cup final win?.

Last edited:
Bit cliched this fancy names from abroad mantra. There are players out there. Spurs needed a left back so they spent 25 million on 24 yr old Reguilon , a Spanish international who had just played 30 odd times for Sevilla winning the europa league.
Leicester payed 32 million for ex Anderlecht, Monaco and World Cup 3rd place player Tielemans who is 24 yrs old. These players are next level and haven’t even got their clubs top 4 .Yet some think Norwich in the championship is the breeding ground for a push to top 6?. Personally I think there is a reality check needed as to what we need to push higher.

I know where you are coming from, but Spurs fans can't stand Reguilon. They spent £68m on Ndombele and they are hoping beyond hope he does more in a second season than Bertie managed in his first mate.

Tieleman's is one of the most overrated in my mind and he was only mildly useful this year when he settled in, and he still hasn't got the goals or assists of Buendia either (in the Prem from memory).

Hardly next level but he has a fancy name.

Of course there are players out there, but they have their own risks. I know of a few from my wider Vital work that come from leagues people would puke at - but 15 assists, 20 goals etc to their name.

If we want to push on to top 6 as you say, do we go with proven or do we go with might need 18 months to adjust and the might just have been a cut above in a very low par league?

OK MD, we know you don't rate Buendia, so who do you think we should be spending money on to get to the next level?

I know where you are coming from, but Spurs fans can't stand Reguilon. They spent £68m on Ndombele and they are hoping beyond hope he does more in a second season than Bertie managed in his first mate.

Tieleman's is one of the most overrated in my mind and he was only mildly useful this year when he settled in, and he still hasn't got the goals or assists of Buendia either (in the Prem from memory).

Hardly next level but he has a fancy name.

Of course there are players out there, but they have their own risks. I know of a few from my wider Vital work that come from leagues people would puke at - but 15 assists, 20 goals etc to their name.

If we want to push on to top 6 as you say, do we go with proven or do we go with might need 18 months to adjust and the might just have been a cut above in a very low par league?

Not sure the clubs own fans are always the best judge to go by. Look at the splits on here about certain players this season . Spuds fans reading certain of our players threads would get a view that those players are not rated.

And in regard to the last point . No way will there be the patience on here to wait another 18 months for things to start happening . Well not under this regime. We have already read how the pressure is on Deano and co from the first whistle next season. If we are waiting 18 months then we would have seen a new coaching regime coming in and that would probably mean ripping up and starting again as is the want of new managers who want their own players to suit their own philosophy.

OK MD, we know you don't rate Buendia, so who do you think we should be spending money on to get to the next level?

Not up to me to list endless names of who I want, who we could hypothetically get. Like much of this thread it is a waste of time ( respect etc to those who debate the click bait but I tend to generally stay away from speculation this thread, not this time clearly!).

My point is and always has been since we got promoted that i don‘t want us dicking around making up the premier league numbers this time. I’d rather be competitive in the championship , which I enjoyed too much for my own good when we were down there. Thrill of the chase etc. I have also said I am not naive . I know we can’t walk before we run in this league. However , money talks whether you can walk or run. You pay the fees , you pay the wages you will get what you pay for. This isn’t my dream alone is it?. We keep being told the owners have big plans etc. So if I keep hearing that then i should expect it?.

So like it or not top 4 has to be the target and to go back to your original question . It’s not who we buy, as said I’m not giving endless names, but it’s the level of player. And by that I mean, where they are currently playing, who they are playing for, who they have played for, a regular for a decent international side . It’s tremendously difficult to get anywhere near the top 4. There is a reason why the usual suspects continuously get there . And they don’t do it by buying continuously from the championship such as Norwich and Brentford or Notts Forest. Of course there are exemptions to the rule and there should be . But they are just that for the usual suspects . They go shopping in other places .

Not me originally saying we should be thinking big. It’s what I have been sold by the owners , management and certain players in their lovely soundbites .

I agree somewhat MD but we don't have the pulling power to sign the players that Man City or Utd have or probably even Arsenal.
Probably have to get top 6 before we can attract that level of player, even if we outbid them the player himself will want to join a top 4 slub as they see them.
That's the problem Leicester are starting to attract players but they have won the league and now FA cup, but they won't attract Harry Kane or Jack Grealish, they will attract the Madisons and Justin's etc

Depends where we want to go. If people are happy with top 10, fair play , crack on and jizz yourselves into a frenzy with Buendia . If you want top 6 then sorry we need to be aiming for higher .

In my view, such players will want to play for established Top 6 sides. Moreover, if a Buendia is worth 40 mil, how much would a quality player worthy of playing for a top 6 side cost? And how many do we need? Will we be willing to spend the total amount need to buy all those players? Personally, I don't see any such player seeing Villa as being more attractive than Arsenal, Spurs and Everton.

I'd be very happy with Buendia to be honest. Good age, was very good in his one premier league season, excellent last season all be it at a lower level now in the Argentina squad and will likely emerge as a regular for them before long.

I think he'd bring a lot to the table for us and those sceptical will end up being pleasantly surprised.

Not up to me to list endless names of who I want, who we could hypothetically get. Like much of this thread it is a waste of time ( respect etc to those who debate the click bait but I tend to generally stay away from speculation this thread, not this time clearly!).

My point is and always has been since we got promoted that i don‘t want us dicking around making up the premier league numbers this time. I’d rather be competitive in the championship , which I enjoyed too much for my own good when we were down there. Thrill of the chase etc. I have also said I am not naive . I know we can’t walk before we run in this league. However , money talks whether you can walk or run. You pay the fees , you pay the wages you will get what you pay for. This isn’t my dream alone is it?. We keep being told the owners have big plans etc. So if I keep hearing that then i should expect it?.

So like it or not top 4 has to be the target and to go back to your original question . It’s not who we buy, as said I’m not giving endless names, but it’s the level of player. And by that I mean, where they are currently playing, who they are playing for, who they have played for, a regular for a decent international side . It’s tremendously difficult to get anywhere near the top 4. There is a reason why the usual suspects continuously get there . And they don’t do it by buying continuously from the championship such as Norwich and Brentford or Notts Forest. Of course there are exemptions to the rule and there should be . But they are just that for the usual suspects . They go shopping in other places .

Not me originally saying we should be thinking big. It’s what I have been sold by the owners , management and certain players in their lovely soundbites .

Yes you are correct about them not buying from championship clubs to consolidate their top 6 positions, however they are in a position to be able to attract top talent financially AND by being established top 6 prem sides. We may be able to pay the big bucks to buy and in wages but as neutral I am certain no one in their right mind chooses Villa over Arsenal, Spurs or Everton. A team 3 seasons back was in the Championship, the next season survived prem relegation and just this season finished 11. There is progress undeniably but is it enough to convince the kind of player you want us to sign, Nah !

Yes you are correct about them not buying from championship clubs to consolidate their top 6 positions, however they are in a position to be able to attract top talent financially AND by being established top 6 prem sides. We may be able to pay the big bucks to buy and in wages but as neutral I am certain no one in their right mind chooses Villa over Arsenal, Spurs or Everton. A team 3 seasons back was in the Championship, the next season survived prem relegation and just this season finished 11. There is progress undeniably but is it enough to convince the kind of player you want us to sign, Nah !

Arsenal ....fans don't like the owner. Treading water for years. No seeming ambition
Spurs.....no manager. No funds to hire anyone with ambition. Cranky owner.
Everton.....no manager. Probably shot their wad with the Ancelotti thing. The stadium still has posts holding up the roof!
Villa....hugely successful project since Smith joined. Wealthy owners investing in players and facilities. Three in the England squad from zero a couple of years ago. Everybody pushing in the same direction.
You'd be mad not to join Villa!

In my view, such players will want to play for established Top 6 sides. Moreover, if a Buendia is worth 40 mil, how much would a quality player worthy of playing for a top 6 side cost? And how many do we need? Will we be willing to spend the total amount need to buy all those players? Personally, I don't see any such player seeing Villa as being more attractive than Arsenal, Spurs and Everton.

He’s not worth 40 million though is he. We really shouldn’t be paying that for him .

And yes we will need a shed load of money , we will need to be willing to spend. That’s what i take (their words not mine) ‘big plans for the club’ to mean.

Mr F has long said that we think small time at AVFC. Are these owners the real deal. We will see. I’m told they are. Our current recruitment policy if it maintains from last season and the season before ongoing doesn’t suggest a real challenge top end of the table to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.