The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 124 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Gollini had a verbal promise on his contract he'd have an Italian goalkeeping coach from memory.

We do love a stupid clause in a contract don't we. Strop or not we'd have been better off persevering with him than wasting 18 months getting Johnstone ready for a move to Albion and the less said about Nyland, Moreira and Kalinic the better.

The day I use "stats charts" to judge a footballer will be the day that hell freezes over and pigs fly across the front of the Holte. And a comparison to Jores Okore? Now you've completely lost me.....
Remember when Stats showed how we dominated at Arsenal and Man City after Lambert discovered "Total Football" on a trip abroad? Absolutely murdered both with excellent possession . Can't remember the scores.

Remember when Stats showed how we dominated at Arsenal and Man City after Lambert discovered "Total Football" on a trip abroad? Absolutely murdered both with excellent possession . Can't remember the scores.
Yes I remember that well. Lambert spent a weekend watching Pep train Bayern and every game for about 15 games we won the possession stats (top of the stats charts if you will). Nothing beats seeing the two centre-backs getting a pass from the goalkeeper two yards from the corner flag. The only solace was it shut a lot of people up who kept harping on possession stats being the indicator that we were, or were not, playing well and winning.

Let us not forget that Golini was as error-prone then as Nyland is now, at the time.... It was a step too big for him at the age and experience that he came with...

I'd say that we replaced him with an equally inexperienced keeper who made a fair few cock ups himself in the early stages of his Villa career. I've nothing against Sam Johnstone as he did well for us but it grates me that we essentially chose to develop a keeper that didn't belong to us for 18 months just so Man Utd could make a few million whilst discarding a player we owned without a fight. It sums our time under Xia up perfectly. No thought for the long term just what's good for now and worry about later when its kicking us in the balls.

And to get back on topic no se should not sign Butland. No idea who we should get as whoever comes in knows Heaton wil be back at some point so it makes it a harder sell.

I'd say that we replaced him with an equally inexperienced keeper who made a fair few cock ups himself in the early stages of his Villa career. I've nothing against Sam Johnstone as he did well for us but it grates me that we essentially chose to develop a keeper that didn't belong to us for 18 months just so Man Utd could make a few million whilst discarding a player we owned without a fight. It sums our time under Xia up perfectly. No thought for the long term just what's good for now and worry about later when its kicking us in the balls.
I don't disagree with that, but the fact remains that Golini wasn't good enough at the time and his behavior/words at the time showed that he didn't deserve to wear the shirt... one thing that I'm grateful to Bruce for is that he cleared out the players who didn't want/deserve to be at the club. He rid us of McGatemack, Golini, Agbonlahor. To be fair, if the club hadn't gone into the ludicrous tailspin that Xia created after the play-off loss I think Johnstone would've signed permanently.

Very few of our players, if any, are dogshit. Engels certainly isn't. The only times he's been caught out are when Smith told him to play a high line against teams who have the players to set up a fast counter-attack.

In this window we have the opportunity to add players to correct the balance of the team. We're talking about 3 or 4 players at most, and they have to be quality. We need virtually all of the squad who had a serious look-in last season. Get rid of the fringe players who are never going to get a serious go here, the Hogans, Lansburys and so on. But that's it.

Golini threw his dummy out after they sacked DiMatteo and his Italian GK coach.

Gollini had problems before that, found it difficult to settle, struggled with the language, and asked to go back to Italy. One instance when nobody was to blame.

Butland is no improvement on what we've got. Surely we've got past the stage of signing out-of-sorts players in the hope they'll regain what they had. Drinkwater was one of those and it didn't work.

On reflection dogshite is harsh, but some of our squad isn’t good enough if we want to stay in this league. However, on a more positive note I’m confident that we are setting up a footballing business that will hold us in good stead for years to come.
Scouting team that know Europe, CEO with footballing background, owners that are minted and interested, youth set up that is attracting top talent. I’m sure the first team coach and squad will come good with all this around it👍

I know our defence improved later in the season but we still ended with the second worst defensive record in the league and I don’t think we should forget how bad we were at one point. I think it would be complacent to think we couldn’t do with strengthening such a key area

That's why mentioned Tarkowski at Burnley.
we need continuous improvement in every area and when players are available its the time to strike even if they are not seen as a priority.
I'm not saying he's available but it's worth a tester bid to unsettle him

I know our defence improved later in the season but we still ended with the second worst defensive record in the league and I don’t think we should forget how bad we were at one point. I think it would be complacent to think we couldn’t do with strengthening such a key area
If an experienced player became available at the right price on a 1/2 year deal I agree, but there are far more pressing concerns for me. Attacking players who know where the goal is, a midfielder to compete with McGinn and Luiz, an upgrade at left-back, a goalkeeper....

That's why mentioned Tarkowski at Burnley.
we need continuous improvement in every area and when players are available its the time to strike even if they are not seen as a priority.
I'm not saying he's available but it's worth a tester bid to unsettle him
Think they rejected a 50m bid from Leicester last summer as a replacement for Maguire. Don't think we would get him cheap.