The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 122 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

To your last point its a multitude of things. When it comes to buying from the Championship vs. buying from Europe the only thing I see as a commonality is not being lightweight on the ball. Thats something thats been killing us for years not since MoN have we had strong players on the ball. Lambert built one of the most lightweight teams I've ever seen. Sometimes its not even about experience or quality its adjustment and the ability to be strong in possession. Maybe I am crossing over too many things.

I quite agree and why I think the midfield, while far from the finished product obviously, gets a bit of a hard rap because the inability of any of the forward players to keep the ball for more than a few seconds constantly has us on the back foot.

Ashley Young, for a skinny kid, was superb at it ...

I think you're both being a bit harsh there! Finishing at the end of May certainly isn't later than July, and that's not even taking into account the 6 week gap between seasons this year as opposed to 2 and half months. We haven't yet seen how Covid is going to impact the transfer market either.

I think we're seeing it right now - don't hold yer breath guys ...

Steer is nowhere near being a PL keeper at 27 he's have been a regular somewhere by now if he was any good and Heaton hasn't played for 9 months.
Will will bring in a keeper even if its Reina on loan
Steer has been hampered by injury, so knock him for that if you want, but to say "he'd have been a regular somewhere by now" is nonsense, as injuries and DiMateo/Steve Bruce have stopped that from happening. In his one decent run in our team he was an instrumental part of a record-breaking win streak. And 27 is not even close to peak age for a goalkeeper....

Well, so far, we haven't done better. Surely we'd signed someone by now last year?...... even allowing for it being later.
Last league match in 2018-19 was 5th May. Then there was the playoffs, with the final 27th May.
First four signings were:
Jota 5 June
El Ghazi 10 June
Wesley 13th June
Hause 17th June
Then no more until 1 July (Targett).

So, we're 3 weeks since we saved ourselves from sinking. Last season depends on whether you take it from the end of season or the playoff final.

A rock in midfield? An anchor sinking us to the bottom of the league more like! Nakamba has a lot to prove yet. Keep him as backup for Dougy and see how he gets on next season, but to call him a rock at this stage is a joke!

Engels is dreadful! He was made to look good by Mings for the first 4 or 5 games of the season and has been crap ever since! Cost us a point vs Spurs because he can't control a ball. Dreadful, get rid.
Just like every single player coming into a new league, both players had struggles, but to suggest Engels is dreadful and then using a solitary error as your argument? And further suggesting that Mings made him look good? Seriously? If anything it was Engels who made Mings look decent as he was the only one getting blocks in and actually defending....
I give you the case of Johnny Evans, ridiculed during his time at ManUre as young, developing centre-back, yet has been excellent for the last 5-6 years....

Just like every single player coming into a new league, both players had struggles, but to suggest Engels is dreadful and then using a solitary error as your argument? And further suggesting that Mings made him look good? Seriously? If anything it was Engels who made Mings look decent as he was the only one getting blocks in and actually defending....
I give you the case of Johnny Evans, ridiculed during his time at ManUre as young, developing centre-back, yet has been excellent for the last 5-6 years....

Yep, I remember saying to my son in about October how well Engels had settled in and the fact he was so good nobody noticed him, he was just there.
Then we started to lose more often and fans were looking for someone to blame and it couldn't be Tyrone could it So it was Engels Targett, Freddie Luiz etc

There’s a comfortable cool ball playing CB somewhere in Engels future, but he’s not the kind of player that’s going to shine or even develop in a struggling side. I hope we can improve and see the best of him.

But St Dean fell out with him so he’s shit 🙄

‘Hause is a Prospect ’ seriously? He’s dogshite, opposition plan to leave him unmarked in hope we will pass to him and they can pounce. Should never wear the shirt again imo

Yep at that time the national press were expecting Engles to win his first cap for Belgium

Last league match in 2018-19 was 5th May. Then there was the playoffs, with the final 27th May.
First four signings were:
Jota 5 June
El Ghazi 10 June
Wesley 13th June
Hause 17th June
Then no more until 1 July (Targett).

So, we're 3 weeks since we saved ourselves from sinking. Last season depends on whether you take it from the end of season or the playoff final.

I'm taking it from the play-off final. Not to prove a point but because it was our last competitive match of the 'season'.

Thanks for that MTG.

‘Hause is a Prospect ’ seriously? He’s dogshite, opposition plan to leave him unmarked in hope we will pass to him and they can pounce. Should never wear the shirt again imo

Hause has played Right CB well in the run-in and get his head on more stuff than any of our defenders, he loses next to feck all in the air. He's a big sturdy unit who is awkward-looking but not afraid of the ball.

No way should we sign him. He is useless now and on 150k a week!? No chance. We take him back and we become the laughing stock of the premier league

Mings was top of the stats charts in the league in terms of blocking and clearances at the start of the season. Fact check that if you like. We were all excited about Engels during that time because he looked good in beside him, but he was soon caught out. Just like Okore was, looked good for a few games and then it soon becomes obvious why they weren't playing top level football before Villa.

Konsa has had his struggles but has now settled well, Engels is the opposite.

There’s a comfortable cool ball playing CB somewhere in Engels future, but he’s not the kind of player that’s going to shine or even develop in a struggling side. I hope we can improve and see the best of him.

But St Dean fell out with him so he’s shit 🙄
Not sure what crystal ball you're looking into Mystic Meg. I see a future for him at Anderlecht.

Steer has been hampered by injury, so knock him for that if you want, but to say "he'd have been a regular somewhere by now" is nonsense, as injuries and DiMateo/Steve Bruce have stopped that from happening. In his one decent run in our team he was an instrumental part of a record-breaking win streak. And 27 is not even close to peak age for a goalkeeper....

Sorry mate but if he was the answer he'd be a regular by now, he's not 21 he's 27 and not one manager anywhere thinks he's a number 1. He really isn't very good, greatly save against the baggies granted but I've seen Nyland surpass that several times and he's not the answer either. He's an ok keeper who had an 18 game run and when push came to shove we signed Heaton. Who I think showed why before he got injured.
Heaton is the minimum standard we need I'd be all for Tom bing number 2 and bringing in a real top keeper, which will happen at some point if we are to progress

Harsh words but I do agree with the sentiment. He's really not very good at all, gives the ball away cheaply when under no pressure all the time, same as Nakamba. Neither of them are good enough for us where we are now, let alone good enough for where we want to be.

As for Engels, I did like him, was one of the ones calling for him to be brought back in when he was dropped, but..... 2nd half of the season his standard dropped a hell of a long way. Seems to have lost a yard or 2 of pace. ... I can't remember which game it was now but he was outrun by someone not known for their pace, and it was like he was running in treacle.... Made me reevaluate my opinion on him. Not good enough either.

Hause has played Right CB well in the run-in and get his head on more stuff than any of our defenders, he loses next to feck all in the air. He's a big sturdy unit who is awkward-looking but not afraid of the ball.
It’s a game of opinions and yes Hause is a commanding unit in the air. It’s his poor ball play that just isn’t good enough. He often fails to make 10 yard passes when not even under pressure. Wouldn’t say a CB/RB that has only 43% tackle success is someone we want to rely on, even as back up. That’s my view (from Holte End stand) and I’m no troll having watch them for the past 18 years on the terraces