The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 120 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

'You won't win anything with youth'... correct Alan, you won't, they didn't just have youth, they had outstanding experience.

John McGinn is yet to make the grade as a PL player, I think he will, he was outstanding in the Championship, he wasn't - yet, in the PL in my humble, and he then got frustrated, lunged in and injured.

And who was it that said, was it Dumble (?) it isn't about buying PL experience, it is about buying the right quality that will be able to hit the ground running.

That piece of context is always missing from that quote, they had Bruce and Pallister didnt they? Irwin was playing too I believe so a rock-solid defence. That's where I think the experience is really missing, at the back. Without Heaton or Reina we'd have capitulated and I honestly feel Elmo made a significant difference. He showed real heart and leadership.

I do think McGinn is Premier League grade and Luiz started to show quality too but the rest of midfield has question marks. When you're in the trenches you need to be able to look and see someone you can count on. I dont think McGinn and Mings have that. Hourihane, Konsa, Nakamba, Hause there isnt enough battle and quality there and the truth is probably only Konsa makes the type of strides we need over the next 3+ years. Luiz is 21 so a bit of experience in beside him would be excellent. I don't know whether to write Engels off or not.

To your last point its a multitude of things. When it comes to buying from the Championship vs. buying from Europe the only thing I see as a commonality is not being lightweight on the ball. Thats something thats been killing us for years not since MoN have we had strong players on the ball. Lambert built one of the most lightweight teams I've ever seen. Sometimes its not even about experience or quality its adjustment and the ability to be strong in possession. Maybe I am crossing over too many things.

Well, so far, we haven't done better. Surely we'd signed someone by now last year?...... even allowing for it being later.

Feels more like the January window doesn't it

I think you're both being a bit harsh there! Finishing at the end of May certainly isn't later than July, and that's not even taking into account the 6 week gap between seasons this year as opposed to 2 and half months. We haven't yet seen how Covid is going to impact the transfer market either.

Didn't Liverpool pay 70m for theirs so 20m is a bargain? most important role on the pitch for me, even more so with this playing out from the back lark

Again mate I agree but we always try and do things on the cheap. I could see them going for Butland due to the price.

To be fair, I think he is young enough to be able to recover his form and confidence in the right environment. Stoke were a complete shit show for much of the season and his form fell off a cliff.

But I don't see why he can't get back to his England best, especially working with the likes of Tom Heaton, and Neil Cutler seems to be doing a decent job.

I'm not saying we should go for him, but he has plenty of experience and £8m(or whatever has been mentioned) is peanuts these days.

I think you're both being a bit harsh there! Finishing at the end of May certainly isn't later than July, and that's not even taking into account the 6 week gap between seasons this year as opposed to 2 and half months. We haven't yet seen how Covid is going to impact the transfer market either.

I wasn't having a moan about it, it literally does feel like the January window as it's shorter (until the games start) and not much is happening.

Well apart from at Villa, there's plenty of business being done elsewhere.

I don't watch Stoke as often as you clearly do, so will bow to your superior knowledge on this one.
Honestly he's doing a Joe Hart, best to avoid.

We've got a quality keeper in Heaton. We do not need to spend much on backup and should look to find a young prospect as backup.