The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 85 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

To be fair Villan57, I did say kind of the same thing as you above, but then the more I thought about it, there is actually a knack to finding the right experienced players also.

There could be players like Cambiasso out there, that the other 19 premier League clubs wouldn't even be aware could be tempted with the right offer, but if you have a scout with the right contacts and his ear to the ground he might hear some whispers before anyone else.

At the time you'd have assumed Cambiasso was beyond the grasp of Leicester, but if they were the only ones that thought to make a move then fair play, thats still a valuable skill to have as a recruitment guy.

Yes I agree but he didn't need scouting, which was my point, Scouting is about finding little know players and recommending them to a club. We can all find 33-year-old international footballers who are out of contract, with a couple of clicks on google

Yeah, I wasnt having a go at you, I get where you are coming from.
I was just thinking how it would go down with fans if we signed a Cambiasso. Even with 50 odd caps, at that age they would most likely be criticised. He was brilliant for them the season they survived

To be fair Villan57, I did say kind of the same thing as you above, but then the more I thought about it, there is actually a knack to finding the right experienced players also.

There could be players like Cambiasso out there, that the other 19 premier League clubs wouldn't even be aware could be tempted with the right offer, but if you have a scout with the right contacts and his ear to the ground he might hear some whispers before anyone else.

At the time you'd have assumed Cambiasso was beyond the grasp of Leicester, but if they were the only ones that thought to make a move then fair play, thats still a valuable skill to have as a recruitment guy.

Yes. Same as when Big Sam managed to get the lkes of Djorkaef, Hierro, Okocha and Anelka to Bolton. He clearly got in there and convinced them to join before others had thought about it

Haha, genuinely must have missed that. I liked Green but sadly nowhere near this level. Cue him with a Premier League winners medal round his neck in two years now I've said that. Lol.
He was a good prospect but picked up a terrible injury just as he was breaking into the side at the start of Bruce’s full season with us which ruled him out for a year which must have been a severe hit to his development. He’s actually still quite young and has played more games than most of our youngsters have at that age. Might be a decent player in a few years if he gets regular game time which he definitely wouldn’t get with us

Cambiasso was superb as well. I think it's also knowing if they will suit British football as well. You could look at the likes of Veron and Di Maria and brilliant players that they are struggled in the PL.

In view of lots of people saying we need a proven PL striker just had a check on strikers that have scored 10+ goals this season who we could realistically get and I'm afraid it is Pukki or Troy Deeney take your pick, now if they were 24years old and had no baggage?

Which is possibly the same reason why Sawiris is trying to buy Vitoria in Portugal. Get loads of South American and African prospects in, any that look decent, move them on to Villa when its easier to get the work permit

Definitely. Especially with Mendes apparently advising him.

I know what we all want to see is players incoming but I find this news very exciting. Like many given recent failures and false dawns will withhold general judgement but it’s a great sign from the owners that they really do want to succeed and are seemingly making the right moves.

What makes you say that?

I had a quick look on Twitter yesterday and there seemed to be a 60-40 split.

60% saying he's shit and £30 million would be daylight robbery.

40% defending him by saying that's a very harsh way to talk about the man who's goals (against Barcelona in the semi and then spurs in the final) won them the Champions League.

However it seemed even the 40% defending him stopped short of calling him a good player, it was just all about those goals.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy him, he's probably still better than what we have but he's still definitely a risk and doesn't appear to be the 15 goal a season man we're craving.

I know a few Liverpool fans who would be reluctant to let him go.

I don't take much notice of fans on Twitter, even the Villa ones are embarrassing.

28 appearances (7 starts) last season for the Premier League and European champions and he's "shit"? I wonder if Wesley, Samatta or Davis could muster up that much between them in that side.

Yeah, he's a definitely a risk, who isn't, and if we can do even better than great, but I think he would be a decent signing for where we are right now.

I don't see what the big fuss is with Watkins at all, he's had one good season in the Championship and he's 24, not 18.

I don't take much notice of fans on Twitter, even the Villa ones are embarrassing.

28 appearances (7 starts) last season for the Premier League and European champions and he's "shit"? I wonder if Wesley, Samatta or Davis could muster up that much between them in that side.

Yeah, he's a definitely a risk, who isn't, and if we can do even better than great, but I think he would be a decent signing for where we are right now.

I don't see what the big fuss is with Watkins at all, he's had one good season in the Championship and he's 24, not 18.

I like Watkins, but if we do sign him we still need another striker in case he doesnt make the step up. Law of averages, we've got to get one right eventually

Origi would solely come down to the price for me. Around £20m I’d be happy, £30m+ I’d be worried

I think we need to what Man city did when they first started to get rich. target players like Barry and Milner from clubs like us. More difficult now every club has rich owners and far more money.
Players around the 26 mark who are the best at their clubs but their clubs are not the best and Villa would have to sell them the plan better than they have sold it to the media in general

I think we need to what Man city did when they first started to get rich. target players like Barry and Milner from clubs like us. More difficult now every club has rich owners and far more money.
Players around the 26 mark who are the best at their clubs but their clubs are not the best and Villa would have to sell them the plan better than they have sold it to the media in general

Danny Ings would do for a start

I've got a feeling Smith wants a Heskey type who can hold up the ball and bring others into play but can also put the ball in the net when required.

But I think he see's the goals coming more from the flanks, a bit like Liverpool with mane and salah.

So I'd imagine Watkins will be wide, Origi up top, then one other goalscoring wide man to complete the trio.

Im not brimming with delight but I know one thing for sure....

Benrahma, Origi, Watkins > El Ghazi, Davis, Trez

I wonder if we're eventually going to sign anyone?

We were (about a week ago) mentioned we were looking at Max Aarons of Norwich.

Ok, it's on Birmingham Live, but it's now being reported that the dingles have made an approach for him.

The way things are going, anyone decent we've been talking about will of been signed up by someone else before we decide to make a move.....Ffs!

Do something!!!!

I like Watkins, but if we do sign him we still need another striker in case he doesnt make the step up. Law of averages, we've got to get one right eventually
I think it depends on how he'd be deployed. We might use him out wide. If so I'd expect another forward. If the plan is to play him through the middle then personally I'd see almost no chance of another forward coming in. The expectation would surely be that him and Wesley will be our main forwards, Samatta also there as well if we retain him.