The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 246 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

The transfer window can turn so quickly, for all we know we could be close to 3 signings we simply don't know. I can see us signing a unreal player out of nowhere which nobody expects its just patience.

I suspect you may be right but this close to the start of the season you're kinda pushed towards thinking that we're just not going to be spending and that we'll be lucky if we get more than 2-3 players in.

If they're the right players and last season's experience shows itself for the good in the existing players and we don't suffer the kind of injuries we had last year then it may be enough but it's not a comfortable feeling right now.

Last edited:
And unlike Wilson, Sturridge actually wants to sign for us.

"Sturridge reckons he has unfinished business in the Premier League and a return with Aston Villa would be ideal".

https://sportslens.com/daniel-sturridge-hopes-to-join-aston-villa-this-summer/305668/

Not sure how some of these sites get away with those sorts of reports. If I published the same, with no substance, quotes etc, I'd get kicked off newsnow (and probably rightly so!).

I'd take him pay as you play, no doubt at all. I'd not be so keen paying a regular wage to a player with such a bad injury record. On his day though, he is unplayable, if he's up for it, but that is a big IF isn't it now?

The transfer window can turn so quickly, for all we know we could be close to 3 signings we simply don't know. I can see us signing a unreal player out of nowhere which nobody expects its just patience.

I would be happy with Harry Wilson coming in at LW, young player with experience, good eye for goal with bags of potential. Think he would work well with Grealish and be an improvement on El Ghazi.

Obviously Tammy Abraham would be ideal for striker, if only we could persuade him away from Chelsea.

Rashica for RW was looking promising at one stage, he would have been an improvement on Trezuguet.

GK, I'm not too fussed over. Heaton will soon be back and Nyland/Steer we know can do the job.

Experience squad fillers Benteke 7m or Sturridge on a free for 1 season - to let Davis go on loan could be a good option from the bench.

And a LB to push Targett would also be nice if any funds left.

Brilliant post Jake.

To add, I think Engels was brilliant at the start of the season, showing more promise than Mings in some games. This until he got injured and then Smith started to experiment with 5 at the back. Then the games started slipping by, dropping points and sinking rapidly. Kinda looking pretty clueless at this point.

To go out and buy a RB(when we clearly don't need one) for 16m???? Is poor business imo. I really hope Cash takes off and I have nothing against him. But lets just watch us bin Guilbert for something stupid like 6m.

Engels and Guilbert binned off unnecessarily - could be personal opinion by Dean, it certainly isn't based on commitment, desire, progress and hard work. As both players shown promise.

We also seem to be obsessed with Championship players for some reason. Kinda reminds me of our first season in the Championship when we bought all the Scott Hogan's and Henri Lansbury's etc because they looked good.

Also way too much time spent looking for GK's every season. Why did buy Kalinic and Nyland if we are not going to give them a proper chance?

I've a lot of sympathy with this. For a start, I don't think we should be thinking of binning players; all the players we used to any extent last season showed they had something, and now have that season of experience under our belt.

Even just 2 real quality players in the right positions would put us in a much better position to face the coming season. It's that quality, especially in attack, which we desperately need.

A real waste of time chasing useless strikers when we already have at least 3 of them. I'd prefer to give Davis a strong run in the team and see if he comes good than sign the likes of Wilson. Wesley might do well too next season. I think we would be better off strengthening the central defence but Smith seems happy with it.

The level we are at it is tough. How many good players want to come to relegation battlers and compete for a place? Might be better to squeeze more out of what we have.

I've a lot of sympathy with this. For a start, I don't think we should be thinking of binning players; all the players we used to any extent last season showed they had something, and now have that season of experience under our belt.

Even just 2 real quality players in the right positions would put us in a much better position to face the coming season. It's that quality, especially in attack, which we desperately need.
Yep McP, I think the difficulty to sign quality is much more about the wages than that capital cost. If we move on a few, we could probably afford the quality. Shift Hogan, Lansbury maybe Elmo and at least one keeper could make the difference. It's about balancing the books as well as the squad.

That's the reality as I see it, not my preference, but we've bought some average players in the past and put them on top wages.

Bikini - I think the central defence looked bad at times because we sat back and allowed teams onto us for the best part of last season. In fact keeping the ball was a huge problem for us. When you are constantly defending a barrage of attacks - sometimes you will get pulled out of position and make mistakes.

We were under cosh far too much last season. Even clubs like Bournemouth, Norwich at times etc had more possession and chances in 90 mins that we could manage.

I believe the defence will look miles better if we get some quality in the final 3rd.

You have to question the nous of our recruitment team in going for a player that is Coventry through and through. Plus a player who is so thick and small minded to put his hatred of a team above his career aspirations.
He is exactly the type of player that I wouldn't want anywhere near our team, just imagine his hate in the dressing room.

You have to question the nous of our recruitment team in going for a player that is Coventry through and through. Plus a player who is so thick and small minded to put his hatred of a team above his career aspirations.
He is exactly the type of player that I wouldn't want anywhere near our team, just imagine his hate in the dressing room.

You would think they had been in contact with his agent about coming. Then when there was a choice of two after it became clear Newcastle would also have a bid accepted he showed his preference. I doubt any such indication was given before in case it never materialised.

You would think they had been in contact with his agent about coming. Then when there was a choice of two after it became clear Newcastle would also have a bid accepted he showed his preference. I doubt any such indication was given before in case it never materialised.

But why target someone who is Coventry through and through. It's obvious our lot know nothing about our history. It would have been exactly the same with that Bellingham kid.

https://www.90min.com/posts/aston-v...eview-strengths-weaknesses-key-man-prediction

Have a little read of that, they reckon Villa's prediction is 15th next season without any new signings, perhaps our board think the same and aren't rushing for new players.... o_O

So we have Chelsea now interested in Romero, Spurs in for Watkins, I'm so glad Grealish is staying, the reality of him leaving and having 80m extra to spend one we wouldn't be able to bring in world class players because of the wage limit and two our recruitment seem to struggle recruiting players or getting them over the line before announcing it to the world and allowing the big dogs to come sniffing.

Bikini - I think the central defence looked bad at times because we sat back and allowed teams onto us for the best part of last season. In fact keeping the ball was a huge problem for us. When you are constantly defending a barrage of attacks - sometimes you will get pulled out of position and make mistakes.

We were under cosh far too much last season. Even clubs like Bournemouth, Norwich at times etc had more possession and chances in 90 mins that we could manage.

I believe the defence will look miles better if we get some quality in the final 3rd.

That's true. It all comes back to the coaching at the moment. I hope Shakespeare can improve things because the standard of player we're in for will not.

But then this all assumes that the rumours are correct, if last summer should have taught us anything it's that the press know no more about dealings at VP than we do.

Speaking with a Spuds fan earlier and said they're lacking homegrown players but Watkins "better be up for the League Cup and Europa League" as he's not getting ahead of any of their front three. I then said Brentford priced him at £28m and he replied "lol no fucking way then".

But why target someone who is Coventry through and through. It's obvious our lot know nothing about our history. It would have been exactly the same with that Bellingham kid.

I would expect that they assume the bloke is a professional footballer and it’s his job rather than a 12 year old picking his most hated team on a computer game.

A real waste of time chasing useless strikers when we already have at least 3 of them. I'd prefer to give Davis a strong run in the team and see if he comes good than sign the likes of Wilson. Wesley might do well too next season. I think we would be better off strengthening the central defence but Smith seems happy with it.

The level we are at it is tough. How many good players want to come to relegation battlers and compete for a place? Might be better to squeeze more out of what we have.

That baffles me mate, he couldn't score in the Championship and although he had limited time in the PL, he fluffed every single chance.

And that isn't slating Davis, he's done his best, he is not quite the grade, I'm not sure for Champ let alone PL

We need a quality striker, fine without major luck we probably won't end up with a 20 a season sort, not many clubs get them, but we need over 10 goals. If not, the risk is massive, as we nearly didn't get away with it last season.

But then this all assumes that the rumours are correct, if last summer should have taught us anything it's that the press know no more about dealings at VP than we do.

You keep saying that VotN (hi btw, hope all is good!) but we all know that, but this is the rumour thread, so as has always been, we talk about the rumours, like them, lump them, ambivalent to them, will they add anything, will they not? And then when we get concrete signings, they get their own thread and we talk about them factually!

You've been around long enough to know this is part of the fun/madness of a footie forum. Everyone, I assume, knows in these threads, we are talking from a position of ignorance.

Wouldn't it be brilliant to unveil a totally different striker, never linked before, tomorrow and flick the bird at Sky :Fingers:
I posted a while back Merd that our new owners keep things close to their chests, and I am convinced they have very hot irons in the fire.
It would be unthinkable that given our great good fortune escaping relegation last season that they dont protect their investement and get in what is needed.
They will leave themselves wide open to ridicule if they fail to take steps to cement our place in the Premier League this season.