The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 240 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

I'm sure it's been said before, Sturridge only comes into anyone's thinking if his baseline salary is pay as you play with normal bonuses on top. Let him demonstrate he believes in himself to succeed and stay fit and not only does he agree to pay as you play, it's a 12 month rolling contract that we can cancel at any time or extend automatically for the following three years.

If he backs himself like that, I'd take a punt on him.

That's very wise, We'll never know if we never ask the question but definitely gives him extra hunger and desire to look after himself, If he passes an extensive medical then surely he might of sorted himself out.

All I see is that apparently a striker who scored 8 goals in 41 games is one of our top targets and not only that we are willing to pay onwards of 21m, I remember giving Agbonlahor stick for having a poor goal record back in the day and yet his goal to game tally is the same as Wilson and Gabby played a handful of seasons as a winger :unsure:

Yep, and so far following in the footsteps of those before as this window is suggesting.

I don't want to hear people talking about being ambitious, I want to see it. As I said before, there's still a month left in this window so things could happen, but that always seems to be the hope as the window goes on.
But how can they attract people if they can't offer the wages?

Who says they can't? What are "the wages" anyway?

I'm not talking about 300k a week players
I believe thst FFP regulation prevent a club from increasing the total wage bill by more thsn about 4%per season, so not a huge amount over the rate of inflation. Effectively this means that even if we can demonstrate the income to pay £300k we are not allowed to pay a player this kind of money unless we cut it from somewhere else in the wages budget. It's another con to maintain the status quo for the top clubs. Due to Covid-19 FFP has effectively been suspended regarding player purchases as these are related to income levels and income has been dramatically reduced by the pandemic, but as far as I know, no such allowance has been made regarding the wage bill as this is based on previous wages, not income.

I believe thst FFP regulation prevent a club from increasing the total wage bill by more thsn about 4%per season, so not a huge amount over the rate of inflation. Effectively this means that even if we can demonstrate the income to pay £300k we are not allowed to pay a player this kind of money unless we cut it from somewhere else in the wages budget. It's another con to maintain the status quo for the top clubs. Due to Covid-19 FFP has effectively been suspended regarding player purchases as these are related to income levels and income has been dramatically reduced by the pandemic, but as far as I know, no such allowance has been made regarding the wage bill as this is based on previous wages, not income.

Yep, fair enough, but surely we can strive higher than shopping around in the Championship again?

We need to improve big time this season to avoid getting relegated, we need to find some real quality somewhere.

I wonder if the club's apparent lack of ambition/inability to attract the players we/they want is not related to actual ambition or even ability/willingness to spend but to the FFP restrictions on wage budget increase, which seemingly has nothing to do with ability to pay and everything to do with stopping any other clubs joining the ranks of big spenders. Are we not limited to a 4% wage bill increase, or something stupid like that?

As our CEO will tell you, there is no such thing as FFP, the rules are profit and sustainability.

No, I couldn't really care less either... but he was at pains and I know you like a pedantic point, and this is a pedantic point...!

He is also confident that PL clubs would be hard pushed to fall foul of these rules, at one meeting he was at pains to say how difficult it makes life in the Championship, one of many reasons they were so concerned not to return to them.

We do have a thread on this:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/the-profit-sustainability-thread.91686/page-23

Which also has the fact the authorities are now trying to close the loophole we used selling then leasing our ground.

So although we couldn't go totally crazy, we should be able to spend fairly big with the ridiculously high amounts of cash that swims around from tv and sponsorship deals in this vile £eague !

I did say many pages ago we could offer Sturridge a pay as you play, like Andy Carroll took, if he was that desperate to get back into the big boys league. Don't care if the guy a cock or not, when fit, he scores.

Depends if it is all still about the money for him, something only he would know (some players just love to play, some are in it for dosh, their choice, obviously!)

So, well...

Very clever Fear, very clever.

:grinning:

The above - the % might have changed since I last looked but I certainly haven't heard about a change. I always thought the wage element of Profit and Sustainability (FFP) was more restrictive than the debt elements because it was even more arbitrary.

FFP hasn't been suspended though, a 2 yr assessment will take place at the end of this season, it's not a write off sadly.

Sturridge started at Villa many moons ago and from Birmingham so I just thought perhaps he would settle in pretty quickly, Get into his head and make him prove he still has it and remembered for being one of the best.
If he is still arrogant and cocky and likely to have a bad influence then I agree, but from what I've heard West Ham and Everton are eyeing him up, It would allow us to get rid of some of that deadweight and still bring in another striker as well.

Would you definitely say no knowing that he could be fully fit and has a record of scoring every other game, unlike Wilson who scores every 4th game.

What do you know of him for that opinion, I can't say i've paid that much attention to him other than knowing he knows where the goal is.

I, literally, wouldn't want him within 50 miles of VP if he was paying us £100k per week for the privilege.

He's one of a (very) long line of Brum-born players, most of whom have dis/graced VP in the past - for whatever reason, some Brum-born players are only good at wasting their careers with their pisspoor attitudes likely rubbing off onto others around them, especially younger players.

It's more about how those guys effect things off the pitch than on it. A couple of years back, it was a coin toss as to whether Jack would join that list, thankfully, for now at least, he's turned the corner.

Last edited:
As our CEO will tell you, there is no such thing as FFP, the rules are profit and sustainability.

No, I couldn't really care less either... but he was at pains and I know you like a pedantic point, and this is a pedantic point...!

He is also confident that PL clubs would be hard pushed to fall foul of these rules, at one meeting he was at pains to say how difficult it makes life in the Championship, one of many reasons they were so concerned not to return to them.

We do have a thread on this:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/the-profit-sustainability-thread.91686/page-23

Which also has the fact the authorities are now trying to close the loophole we used selling then leasing our ground.

So although we couldn't go totally crazy, we should be able to spend fairly big with the ridiculously high amounts of cash that swims around from tv and sponsorship deals in this vile £eague !
But it's not profit and sustainability at question, it's increase in wages budget, which I understand is limited not by a club's ability to pay but by previous wage levels. We could go out and spend £100m on a player and still stay within the sustainability rules due to the huge TV revenues all PL clubs receive, but if we can't pay wages to reflect the purchase price due to last season's wage bill being too low, sustainability is largely irrelevant and I doubt we'd be able to attract the player