The Spurs Europa Thread.. | Vital Football

The Spurs Europa Thread..

Spursex

Alert Team
Please post all your Europa observations, questions etc in this thread from now on, and if you can repeat the ones you've posted in the Summer transfer market as it will kickstart the debate here.

Cheers and many thanks

'EX

nham Hotspur

Journalist reckons that there will not be much early Tottenham transfer business for one big reason

By Bruce Grove - 11 hours ago

Dan Kilpatrick of the Evening Standard reckons that Spurs’ summer business will be done late this summer after they have to start their Europa League campaign from the qualifying rounds.
Spurs made a late and ultimately successful push to end the just-concluded season inside the European places as they ended the campaign 6th on the league table.
That position will have been enough for them to enter the Europa League in the group stages, however, Arsenal subsequently won the FA Cup to take the second automatic group stage Europa League spot.
Spurs will now have to play three qualification rounds before entering the competition’s group stages and Kilpatrick reckons that it will affect their transfer plans.
He claims that because of the development, the Lilywhites will have to wait and see if they will reach the group stages of that competition before they can splash the cash.
Jose Mourinho will want to win the competition after doing that with Manchester United in 2017.
Kilpatrick reckons that the Lilywhites will go through the troubles of qualifying matches before bringing in their summer targets.
He tweeted: “#thfc Arsenal’s FA Cup win means Spurs will enter the Europa League on September 17 in the 2nd qualifying round. They face three one-off ties – the location decided by a random draw – to reach the group stage.
“#thfc A potential pitfall of qualifying is that Spurs will not know if they’re in the EL group stage – and therefore in the money – until October 1, which raises the possibilty that some/most of their transfer business could be left late.”

My view:

Kilpatrick is taking b****ks again.

The deal(s) with Southampton were agreed in principle two weeks ago - and both deals are going through the legal depts now, both clubs have most of their execs on holiday until the end of next week. Which whilst the deals are agreed in principle, they are not done.

Any other targets we may or may not have will only be addressed after all the markets are open - Itay's is still not open, and there is believed to one, perhaps two notable targets depending on what we allow out-going wise.

Of course, the national states clubs, along with the pan-European giants have the super agents working full time on some deals, and will conclude quickly mainly because the odd 10/20 mill means little to them.

I need help. I have seen the list of teams we could face in our second round qualifiers, that's fair enough, over one leg we should breeze it. But where do the third round and then the play off teams come from, are they contained within that same list of dross or do they come in from other sources ? We have to win 3 games to get into the group stages but what will the standard be like after the first game ?

I need help. I have seen the list of teams we could face in our second round qualifiers, that's fair enough, over one leg we should breeze it. But where do the third round and then the play off teams come from, are they contained within that same list of dross or do they come in from other sources ? We have to win 3 games to get into the group stages but what will the standard be like after the first game ?

Wikipedia shows twelve teams currently that automatically go into the third qualifying round Nick. The highest ranked is Sporting Lisbon followed by PSV Eindhoven and Sparta Prague. I don't fully understand how the seeding for the competition works, but given that our UEFA coefficient is way ahead of any Club in the tournament currently, it seems pretty unlikely that we will meet any team of consequence over the qualifying rounds. The competition will no doubt start for us when teams drop out of the CL.

nham Hotspur

Journalist reckons that there will not be much early Tottenham transfer business for one big reason

By Bruce Grove - 11 hours ago

Dan Kilpatrick of the Evening Standard reckons that Spurs’ summer business will be done late this summer after they have to start their Europa League campaign from the qualifying rounds.
Spurs made a late and ultimately successful push to end the just-concluded season inside the European places as they ended the campaign 6th on the league table.
That position will have been enough for them to enter the Europa League in the group stages, however, Arsenal subsequently won the FA Cup to take the second automatic group stage Europa League spot.
Spurs will now have to play three qualification rounds before entering the competition’s group stages and Kilpatrick reckons that it will affect their transfer plans.
He claims that because of the development, the Lilywhites will have to wait and see if they will reach the group stages of that competition before they can splash the cash.
Jose Mourinho will want to win the competition after doing that with Manchester United in 2017.
Kilpatrick reckons that the Lilywhites will go through the troubles of qualifying matches before bringing in their summer targets.
He tweeted: “#thfc Arsenal’s FA Cup win means Spurs will enter the Europa League on September 17 in the 2nd qualifying round. They face three one-off ties – the location decided by a random draw – to reach the group stage.
“#thfc A potential pitfall of qualifying is that Spurs will not know if they’re in the EL group stage – and therefore in the money – until October 1, which raises the possibilty that some/most of their transfer business could be left late.”
I think that if the club is dependent upon the revenue from Europa in order to fund transfers then we are in big trouble....I am sure they understand the need to upgrade key positions in order to stabilise our league position above all else.

I think that if the club is dependent upon the revenue from Europa in order to fund transfers then we are in big trouble....I am sure they understand the need to upgrade key positions in order to stabilise our league position above all else.

I think we are in big trouble. I think Ex estimated over 150 mil worth of trouble but dont quote me on that. A long run in all cups would be desirable when fans are allowed back. Loss of tv revenue and prize money from CL is going to hurt.

I think we are in big trouble. I think Ex estimated over 150 mil worth of trouble but dont quote me on that. A long run in all cups would be desirable when fans are allowed back. Loss of tv revenue and prize money from CL is going to hurt.

..and we're even having to play #300 mill back to the broadcasters..(as a whole)

Our planned budgets have been smashed to smithereens, how Levy deals with this may define the club for the next decade.

..and we're even having to play #300 mill back to the broadcasters..(as a whole)

Our planned budgets have been smashed to smithereens, how Levy deals with this may define the club for the next decade.

Any idea or a rough estimate for the black hole size in the finances ?

Why do we have to pay £300 million back?

I read it being 30 mil, not 300. 330 mil as I understood was the total for the PL. Top six 30 mil each, the rest 10.75 mil.

I may have understood wrong ?

Last edited:
I read it being 30 mil, not 300. 330 mil as I understood was the total for the PL. Top six 30 mil each, the test 10.75 mil.

I may have understood wrong ?

No that's correct - I said as a whole (I meant all of the PL), but perhaps didn't make that clear enough, sorry.