The Spurs Europa Thread.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Spurs Europa Thread..

We ended up on 59 points, the same as Wolves but have to stump up 20 mil more than them. That's a 20 mil player signing they could make in front of us as very close competitors.

We are miles ahead of Wolves off the pitch. We have some temporary setbacks to deal with but will surge ahead in the future.

As far as the EL goes, we have 18 games to win it. 5 more than it takes to win the CL. (or is it 3?)

We can easily manage this.

Hari,

The latest is this:

apologies, it's not now having to be repaid until the 20/21 season - but still has to be repaid.
Thanks EX...I’m still not believing the TV companies’ arguments...if anything I think it will have boosted their revenues from fans who can’t get to see their teams live and also beng able to watch their own teams more often....if the ban on the 3pm transmissions is carried forward it could change the stadium income revenue with clubs having to cut season ticket prices to still attract crowds....there is a lot of potential in this debate and I don’t see the need for repayment.

Have I missed anyone mentioning the potential problem we may have with travel? I was speaking to one of my journo mates the other day and there is talk that the club is already in talks with UEFA and the UK Government about the potential issue with not being able to use our home ground if our opponents are from one of the nations on the ever-increasing quarantine list. We would have to find a neutral ground but if that will have its issues. If we can't fix the issue we may be forced to forfeit.

Our issue aside, I can see all European competitions next season being a logistical nightmare due to COVID.

We are miles ahead of Wolves off the pitch. We have some temporary setbacks to deal with but will surge ahead in the future.

As far as the EL goes, we have 18 games to win it. 5 more than it takes to win the CL. (or is it 3?)

We can easily manage this.

OK, so I can relax in the knowledge that not only will we manage to win the EL,, but we'll do it easily. One less thing to worry about.

Love your optimism '80.

Thank Poch for giving him a new deal. A foolish decision but Poch made plenty of those over the years.

Unfortunately that was the case. For a lengthy period Poch definitely had his 'preferred eleven', and Lamela was always in it at the expense of Son. It was only when Lamela's injuries started to mount, and Son took his chance, that things started to change. I can't help but feel however that without the injury problems Poch would always have had Lamela as a first choice. Hence the new contract in the hope he would come right. He didn't.

It depends how other clubs see him. If it's as a sub to play 30 minutes and provide an injection of tempo and a goal scoring and assist threat he may be saleable. Not all players have to start games to be useful.

Unless he can prove his fitness, no one will touch him, that is unless he agreed to a pay per play deal or was on such low wages it was a justifiable punt. I can't easily think of a single club who'd make a desperate move like that in Europe now.

Unfortunately that was the case. For a lengthy period Poch definitely had his 'preferred eleven', and Lamela was always in it at the expense of Son. It was only when Lamela's injuries started to mount, and Son took his chance, that things started to change. I can't help but feel however that without the injury problems Poch would always have had Lamela as a first choice. Hence the new contract in the hope he would come right. He didn't.

I think what happened is Poch bought Dele thinking it would take him a season or two to get up to that first team level. He was thinking Son and Lamela with Eriksen behind Kane. Then Dele just settled in so quickly that it became Son or Lamela. Obviously Lamela got injured and in 16/17 Poch started using 3-4-3 as a secondary formation. He only had space for Eriksen and Dele in some games but we were scoring for fun and Son is lethal from the bench.

It all sort of worked for a while with no dependency on Lamela but we were also at high risk of one or two other injuries breaking it. Hopefully Jose shares the burden on a balanced squad going forward.

Unless he can prove his fitness, no one will touch him, that is unless he agreed to a pay per play deal or was on such low wages it was a justifiable punt. I can't easily think of a single club who'd make a desperate move like that in Europe now.

We are the desperate club in Europe paying a bit-part player full wages and then renewing his contract, for 30 minutes of running around, usually to little effect. Only at Spurs.

It depends how other clubs see him. If it's as a sub to play 30 minutes and provide an injection of tempo and a goal scoring and assist threat he may be saleable. Not all players have to start games to be useful.

But that player has to be reliable, Lamela has never been reliable.

The amount of games Eriksen, Dele needed dropping because of poor form but couldn't because Lamela was injured drove me nuts.

So a trip to Bulgaria for our first Europa qualifier. It's not so much our opponent but its slap bang in between two PL games with not much rest. I would expect a physical encounter so I'm not sure playing kids is the way to go