The REALLY Interesting Thread - all new for 2018 | Page 272 | Vital Football

The REALLY Interesting Thread - all new for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers gents.

So, this would sort the Xbox issue in the spare room but sounds like would be for this room only. However, there is a second issue. Junior 2 in her bedroom having a crap signal and is complaining about the lack of wifi to stream the awful music she subjects us to . Can I use a power line type thing to plug into a socket in the landing thereby covering both rooms?

Edit

Sorry, I'm being a bit dim I think. I guess that despite it being wired to the Xbox , it will still kick out a wider signal upstairs?

You can add in as many powerline adapters as you need i.e. one in every room upstairs. But they are not necessarily wifi extenders/boosters - with ours, whatever you have in that room e.g. Xbox/TV/laptop needs to be 'hard-wired' into the adapter via ethernet.

I have an adapter in each of the boys' rooms and their Xboxes are hard-wired into the adapter via an ethernet cable.

You could still use a centrally located (maybe on a landing?) wifi booster for connecting phones etc.

These are wifi boosters with ethernet connection which is probably what you need:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN

You can add in as many powerline adapters as you need i.e. one in every room upstairs. But they are not necessarily wifi extenders/boosters - with ours, whatever you have in that room e.g. Xbox/TV/laptop needs to be 'hard-wired' into the adapter via ethernet.

I have an adapter in each of the boys' rooms and their Xboxes are hard-wired into the adapter via an ethernet cable.

You could still use a centrally located (maybe on a landing?) wifi booster for connecting phones etc.

These are wifi boosters with ethernet connection which is probably what you need:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN

Cheers JPA. Helpful.

Unlike SD who must be suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation!

Whatever I chose (the second option will keep the peace) this is going to cost me a few quid which is not exactly the idea as I had saved money getting the new broadband deal. Bloody kids.

One of the units is linked to the router and the other one I have in the conservatory. That gives me coverage in the living room so I can stream stuff like Netflix. Also covers the garden so that I can work outside in the Summer. So yep that should work for you.

Morning all...

Got back from Birmingham airport about half an hour ago after waving a tearful adios to Mrs P.

Pretty choked I don't mind admitting.

Pride, I don't know too much about what's been going on in your specific case, but I will say that I am hugely sorry you're having to deal with being separated. I imported my husband from England ten years ago and the stress of immigration--even when things go smoothly--is so difficult. I hope she is back with you soon.

Thank you all for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this will all be sorted out over the coming weeks, it's the process which will take the most time, but hopefully we'll be back together in February/March.

Once again, thank you.

I've just invested in my first mesh system. 3 pods around the house, and I've got complete coverage. Prices are coming down, but even so it was £170. Worth it, though, if you need fast wifi everywhere, with minimum fuss.

The powerline adaptors did great, but effectively each one creates a new mini network, separate from the main one. I've had some issues with this. The mesh creates one large network.

So far so good, so fingers crossed.

I've just invested in my first mesh system. 3 pods around the house, and I've got complete coverage. Prices are coming down, but even so it was £170. Worth it, though, if you need fast wifi everywhere, with minimum fuss.

The powerline adaptors did great, but effectively each one creates a new mini network, separate from the main one. I've had some issues with this. The mesh creates one large network.

So far so good, so fingers crossed.

Yes, mesh systems were quite pricey and to be fair, our house has decent wifi coverage from the router alone, so not a massive issue for us. I installed the powerlines as they provide a faster and more reliable connection for the boys' consoles.

I might look into mesh again at some stage though.

It's always good to have options. I've used the powerline adaptors for a long time, and they've done a great job. They just struggle a bit with things like port forwarding, which I use a lot.

It is amazing what we can do now.

Good evening, Vital peeps! I have had a full evening: dance class for the younger daughter, then making salt dough for her terrain/continents project at school, now trying to get motivated to write a test that needs to be photocopied tomorrow morning. Good times!!

Status
Not open for further replies.