The 'Profit & Sustainability' Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The 'Profit & Sustainability' Thread

Oh Sheffield Wednesday look in trouble.

Seem to have done the stadium switch but rated Hillsborough at 38m.

Losses over 3 yr period were 66.1m - 38m = 28.1. FFP limit 39m.

So the Stadium is off the table and next 3 yr period begins and they only have 10.9m to play with by figures for 2019/20.

I know they've lost some high earners this summer, but 2018/19 saw wage bill of £168 for every £100 income.

So the Stadium is off the table and next 3 yr period begins and they only have 10.9m to play with by figures for 2019/20.

I know they've lost some high earners this summer, but 2018/19 saw wage bill of £168 for every £100 income.
This FFP crap pisses me right off. My heart goes out to clubs getting screwed over by the constraints it imposes on clubs.

It would have been so easy for us to become one of those clubs and potentially struggle and stumble along for years. We got a lucky break.

Hillsborough is a decrepit , dilapidated stadium to be honest.

£38 million seems on the high side to me.

Guessed if they'd done the stadium deal it wouldn't be in the same ballpark but that just proves the point that the stadium switch is the one off failsafe.

It highlights the problems of FFP, it doesn't protect clubs like it says on the tin it stops investment and growth.

Clubs should be able to spend what the owner wants - but the owner puts exactly the same funds in an EFL controlled Trust as the safety net to protect 'the club' itself. So whatever happens the club is back to breakeven.

Guessed if they'd done the stadium deal it wouldn't be in the same ballpark but that just proves the point that the stadium switch is the one off failsafe.

It highlights the problems of FFP, it doesn't protect clubs like it says on the tin it stops investment and growth.

Clubs should be able to spend what the owner wants - but the owner puts exactly the same funds in an EFL controlled Trust as the safety net to protect 'the club' itself. So whatever happens the club is back to breakeven.
That's not the idea of it though Mike as you well know.

It is to stop charlatans coming in, overspending and bankrupting the club. May I suggest that our very own Dr Tony Xia nearly did exactly that to us. It is unsustainable to mount up debts year after year after year unless you have an extremely wealthy benefactor and start climbing the leagues, getting success and becoming more marketable, increasing revenue to offset the losses.

It was supposed to be originally, remove the risk of gamblers/frauds but it doesn't stop that and it's why it's permanently flawed in this format.

The big clubs knew it would close the door - the smaller clubs knew it would give them an excuse not to push it - and those left in the middle are now finding out it's more trouble than it's worth.

It was supposed to be originally, remove the risk of gamblers/frauds but it doesn't stop that and it's why it's permanently flawed in this format.

The big clubs knew it would close the door - the smaller clubs knew it would give them an excuse not to push it - and those left in the middle are now finding out it's more trouble than it's worth.
Didn't say it was perfect - nothing ever is (unless it's claret and blue of course).

Agreed Merd something needed to be done but this doesn't solve anything.

The theory is right but the application is wrong.

We have redefined FFP. It now stands for F**k Fair Play. We are Aston Villa, we are minted and we will spend what we like.
Get on the 1000/1 offered on the title with William Hill - worth a crafty tenner. Once Dean Smith gets this bunch of players firing, we could well 'do a Leicester'

We have redefined FFP. It now stands for F**k Fair Play. We are Aston Villa, we are minted and we will spend what we like.
Get on the 1000/1 offered on the title with William Hill - worth a crafty tenner. Once Dean Smith gets this bunch of players firing, we could well 'do a Leicester'

You’re getting me all excited now, ya big tease!!