The Politics Thread | Page 163 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

The debate was about the environment, not particularly a leaders debate although they invited the party leaders. Gove was sent to attend the debate for the Tories, C4 decided to make a big thing of it by refusing to let him attend. It was C4 who invited Johnsons dad for some reason.
Would have been better all round had C4 let Gove attend to put the Tory polices across on the environment and then let everyone else make of it that Johnson didn't attend. The fact C4 had the ice sculptures ready to go says it all really. Pathetic.

I think some can, and many Labour mps, they just aren't (or with MPs can't) vocalise it.

I know at least 12 people without even asking many people, just close family and friends, all of whom want to be voting Labour but won't vote for that vile man and his vile sidekicks.
They are for a lot of people simply un-electable. Out of principal I could never vote for Corbyn and especially then knowing McDonell is Chancellor. Makes my blood boil anytime I see him. And then there is Abbot.
Seems it will take a Tory win with a majority to force change in the labour party

Boris also hiding from Andrew Neil. He was asked yesterday and blithered and blundered with his answer. Just tell the truth, "No I won't be doing it." Simple.

Lets not forget that more than half of the Labour MPs voted against him in a vote of no confidence and he still refused to go. He has got such a stranglehold on the party it will take a thumping Tory win to dislodge him. If its a close run thing or maybe a hung parliament I think he will hang on. One of my mates is Labour through and through. Never voted for any other party and he said he never voted at the last election because of Corbyn and he will not be voting in this one. He did say that he could never bring himself to vote for any of the other parties.

Lets not forget that more than half of the Labour MPs voted against him in a vote of no confidence and he still refused to go. He has got such a stranglehold on the party it will take a thumping Tory win to dislodge him. If its a close run thing or maybe a hung parliament I think he will hang on. One of my mates is Labour through and through. Never voted for any other party and he said he never voted at the last election because of Corbyn and he will not be voting in this one. He did say that he could never bring himself to vote for any of the other parties.

Both of the major parties have gone to the extremes. I think this election will be defining for both parties but possibly not in a good way. Whichever side wins will keep their extremists and lose the centrists. The other side will force out their extremists and move to the centre. That sets the losers up to win the next few elections.

Agreed Astonion2. John McDonnel has said a few times that if they lost (including the last election in 2017 btw) that they would have to stand down. Last time, a month ago ish, he said he would but Corbyn could decide or speak for himself.

With momentum seeming pulling the strings behind the scenes , then it maybe a while before Labour return to the centre ground , during which time in my opinion they will be unelectable.

Unfortunately the alternative is a pretty extreme right wing government which also in my view should also be unelectable.

Watching the politics shows on t.v. is turning me off all of the leaders of the main parties. Instead of focusing on their records in achieving past targets or examining the content of their party's manifesto, the interviewers seem more intent on picking up on things they may have said or done twenty years ago rather than how they intend to manage the policies they are advocating now. If being indiscrete in the past or failing to recognise their own weaknesses or espousing causes that might have made them unpopular once, disqualified them from politics then the front benches of both Labour and Conservative parties would be nowhere to be seen now.
If this was a presidential election I wouldn't be able to choose one of them because the interviewers are doing such a good hatchet job on them.
I suppose I have to ignore the personalities and concentrate on the policies and decide which of the parties would best represent my interests.

No. You just know that most of these pledges and promises will be quietly ditched in the interests of expediency once the election is over.
My favourite politician's quote.
"I know I made promisesbut I didn't promise to keep them."

I don't have a lot of time for our politicians but I'm feeling more hopeful. When Johnson was asked about the FactCheck thing that was going on during the leaders debate, this was his answer verbatim:

“Um, well I’m afraid that the er the er the um the um the er but what I can say is I’m informed that I haven’t that I um that that that (long pause) that Labour have some sort of operation (long pause) uuuuuuuum um look I haven’t followed this I will I will I will I will I will but when it comes as I say when it comes to trust in politics, and er and er the facts there is one giant fact we continue to to to chase down, there is one like the hunting the snark or or or or or the quest the answer to Fermat’s last theorem or the rhythm of the Sphinx or the Bermuda Triangle er er er er the one the feel we feel the er the er the one fact that we wish to discover the one crouton in the minestrone of the Labour Party.”

With clarity like that I can sleep easy.

I don't have a lot of time for our politicians but I'm feeling more hopeful. When Johnson was asked about the FactCheck thing that was going on during the leaders debate, this was his answer verbatim:

“Um, well I’m afraid that the er the er the um the um the er but what I can say is I’m informed that I haven’t that I um that that that (long pause) that Labour have some sort of operation (long pause) uuuuuuuum um look I haven’t followed this I will I will I will I will I will but when it comes as I say when it comes to trust in politics, and er and er the facts there is one giant fact we continue to to to chase down, there is one like the hunting the snark or or or or or the quest the answer to Fermat’s last theorem or the rhythm of the Sphinx or the Bermuda Triangle er er er er the one the feel we feel the er the er the one fact that we wish to discover the one crouton in the minestrone of the Labour Party.”

At least Sturgeon and Swinson can answer a question honestly and directly.

We're doomed.

They are for a lot of people simply un-electable. Out of principal I could never vote for Corbyn and especially then knowing McDonell is Chancellor. Makes my blood boil anytime I see him. And then there is Abbot.
Seems it will take a Tory win with a majority to force change in the labour party

I doubt it will be a Tory win even with that You Gov poll. You Gov is owned by Toryites! This happened in 2017 too and didnt work out to well. They will possible get more seats than Labour but a majority I doubt. The problem the Tories have is they have no one to do any form of coalition with. Labour do. We shall see

He makes Trump look coherent.

Shameful.

People die and they turn it into points scoring and blame game The shambles of the UK in 2019 is staggering .

BBC News - London Bridge: Parties row over attacker's early release https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50615928

I generally don’t like points scoring over things like, or other events such as Grenfell.

In this case, one of the parties needs to do something about the law that has allowed this bloke back on the streets and change it.